What's up with all the chipmunks?- Mtbr.com
    FartFigNewton

What's up with all the chipmunks?

Seeing more deer this year than usual (at least 2-3 every ride, in BH, Wompy, Willowdale, etc), but the chipmunks are freakin' out of control!!! And they must have a death wish as they're darting out right in front of my front tire at least every 30 seconds or so. Can't believe I haven't squished one yet...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I had a deer jump out about 10' in front of me at wompy. Scared the sh*t out of me. Wasn't expecting it and almost jumped off haha. How would I explain that crash "I got mugged by Bambi"

CP
    Every three or four years, oaks produce an abundance of acorns (Masting) - if you remember last fall before snow fell, the acorns were abundant. The synchronized production of large fruit crops by trees results in high winter survival rates for chipmunks and peak production of offspring. Chipmunks will remain abundant throughout the following summer, but their numbers will decrease in the fall when food becomes scarcer. The high population of chipmunks reflects the oak masting year. This phenomenon also effects the populations of deer, white-footed mice, and ticks.

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTWT View Post
    Seeing more deer this year than usual (at least 2-3 every ride, in BH, Wompy, Willowdale, etc), but the chipmunks are freakin' out of control!!! And they must have a death wish as they're darting out right in front of my front tire at least every 30 seconds or so. Can't believe I haven't squished one yet...
    I've noticed the same exact thing. They are everywhere and yes, they dart.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

FartFigNewton
    Interesting about the masting, thanks for the info CP.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i like all the animals. it makes me feel closer to nature and not so lonely when im out in the woods all alone. ive also noticed an increase in turtles deciding to try and go sunning in the middle of the trail. on a side note, what are some of the strangest/uncommonly seen animals people have run into while out on the trails in MA? skunks are no fun to be around and a couple of weeks ago there was a decently sized fox trotting along the other side of the river i biked by.

JRA
    Quote Originally Posted by dewtour2k10 View Post
    i like all the animals. it makes me feel closer to nature and not so lonely when im out in the woods all alone. ive also noticed an increase in turtles deciding to try and go sunning in the middle of the trail. on a side note, what are some of the strangest/uncommonly seen animals people have run into while out on the trails in MA? skunks are no fun to be around and a couple of weeks ago there was a decently sized fox trotting along the other side of the river i biked by.
    A bull moose in the middle of the double track at Leominster SF last fall. I brake for moose.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I saw a black bear at Robinson State Park in Agawam last April at the Trails for Nails event. Mosied his (or her) way straight across the trail about 40 ft. in front of me. I took a sharp right and yelled to the guy behind me, "There's a bear on the trail!!! No, SERIOUSLY, a F'IN BEAR!!!!" The bear must have been startled and hustled away. I'm glad it did, too. I didn't want to have to kill it with my bare hands.

mtbr member
    I was about 10 feet away from a Coyote out by Ludlow Res. about a month or so ago.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM