What's the deal with Otis?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What's the deal with Otis?

I hadn't been there since June, and Friday I ventured out to find where the loop (ccw) dumps you out on the main road into the complex all jersey barriered off. And continuing across that little power line. Couple that with a bunch of felled trees right there, and along the trail that parrellels 28 and a big trail cam right at the rotary, I'd have to think they don't want you out there any more.
    Is this the real deal, or are they trying to keep motorized traffic out, and we cyclists can carry on as we've always done? Anybody got a better scoop on this?

mtbr member
    Wow. I moved away in May but I haven't heard of this from any of the locals back there. Are you on Facebook? With NEMBA? I would get in touch with those folks, they may know more.

The jersey barriers were added a while back while I was still there. They were doing work on the entrance road to the base from the rotary. We've come across downed trees before too (obviously downed trees). And I have seen game cams on the trails, typically these were where kids were building more (shitty) trail.

I know plenty of guys who still ride there regularly, and haven't heard any issues. But again I'm south of the Mason-Dixie line now so don't know much. Good luck! Love Otis.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Nah, I quit Facebook. I can get all the asinine news i "need" on a couple different forums.
    Ain't nobody gonna set no KOM's with all these trees across the trails!

I'm probably gonna try again in a week or so, see how ambitious the real locals are, in getting around/removing some of the really blatant stuff.

mtbr member
    I noticed them last sunday, further up the trail near the rotary by the cemetery there are barriers as well and the one's you mentioned are definitely a huge obstruction to that highway loop. I think they are basically trying to keep the atv's and motorized vehicles off the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    I noticed them last sunday, further up the trail near the rotary by the cemetery there are barriers as well and the one's you mentioned are definitely a huge obstruction to that highway loop. I think they are basically trying to keep the atv's and motorized vehicles off the trail.
    If its brush/trees down we've run across this before. Just move it and ride on. As you said, likely for motorized people.

mtbr member
    No moving this stuff as it is large concrete "jersey" barriers and huge trees, tree trunks and other trail blocking obstacles

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    There was news that the Base was not going to renew the lease with the fish and game club recently. I wonder if this has anything to do with that as well? Maybe they are pushing out their safety zone or setbacks?

mtbr member
    Somebody chainsaw'd all the trees that'd been chainsaw'd. The sandy spots are especially sandy, and there's been some motorized traffic. I'd like to have a few words with whomever is riding dirties out there. Being a dual disciplined rider, and all...

mtbr member
    I could place a bet on who did the sawing. I forget the names of the one guy who rides, but I've run into the crew multiple times back when I lived there. I've also run into a kid. He seemed pretty cool, told me he doesn't tear it up, just likes to ride to Mt. Otis to watch sunsets.

Anyway its such a gray area out there as is. The NEMBA crew and some hate the motos, others (like the guy who did all that sawing) like them and don't mind them.

mtbr member
    Yeah, there was a bit of a pissing contest here recently. Anyways, Otis is SUCH a special trail system, I'd like to have an opportunity to spread some wisdom on the local inhabitants.
    It doesn't really look like they've been goon riding out there, so maybe it's just the one guy. Usually when the goons invade it's pretty obvious.

mtbr member
    The trees had been cleared, but they've strung up cable all over the place right near the rotary, and the trail cam is back up.