What's the best way to access the sandwich side trails at Trail o Tears?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

What's the best way to access the sandwich side trails at Trail o Tears?

I usually park at Race Ln ads, but it's been a long time since I ventured onto the Sandwich trails 9gnarlier stuff just west of ToT: What's the best way to tie those trails in?? Should I just follow the power lines across Great Hill rd? Thanks

mtbr member
    We usually cut over at the power lines at Chase road. Once you get across, there is a trail into the woods on the right. Once in there are a few different options. The trails are hit or miss depending on how badly the dirt bikes have beaten it up or when they were maintained last. We have a pretty solid loop that we do that is usually in good shape but avoids some of the sufferfest hills. Hard to explain without showing you in person since none of the trails have official names and there are a ton of random turns that have popped up recently.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks,

Yeah, I biked up those powerlines a few hundred yards and found the trails, I'm pretty sure I rode everything in the absolute wrong direction, I'd liked it, though a lot of good old Fall line steeps and narrow trails (reminded me of the original Trail o Tears route about 20 years ago).

mtbr member
    Yeah that's about right. If you know the trails well you can make it flow. Jump on one of the Wed or Friday rides at TOT. They sometimes hit the Sandwich side and could link up the good stuff for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BosPete View Post
    That only shows TOT.
    The Sandwich side is in the circle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    Thanks,

Yeah, I biked up those powerlines a few hundred yards and found the trails, I'm pretty sure I rode everything in the absolute wrong direction, I'd liked it, though a lot of good old Fall line steeps and narrow trails (reminded me of the original Trail o Tears route about 20 years ago).
    There isn't a wrong direction to Sandwich, I flagged, built or helped build a substantial portion of it in the 90's-early 2000's. So you were going the right way as it was designed. "Flow" lol is just a state of mind. You can get yer "flow" on no matter what the trail throws at you, on and off of the bike. TOT had become so easy (compared to how it was in the 70's/80's/early 90's that a few of us decided to expand what was already in Sandwich which was mostly a perimeter type loop with fairly demanding terrain compared to east of Chase rd. Both Sandwich and TOT (based on my last visit a month or so ago) are in the worst shape I've ever seen them. Seems like no one is ding much of any trail care at either place. When I lived there it was weekly ongoing pruning and neat'n ing up. Not to diss on NEMBA but with the largest membership base ever and all of the group rides and bbq's going on, what trailcare is NEMBA actually doing? Just curious.🙂