What are the current trail conditions in Mass?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

What are the current trail conditions in Mass?

I am in central Maine and we still have a fairly deep snow pack but with the warmer weather it is melting fast. I am itching to get back out in the woods. What are the trails like in the North Eastern part of the state?

Who are the brain police?
    The snow is giving way, so there's lots of melt and mud. If you can put in the extra drive south, Otis and ToT are likely in good condition. There's a thread for just this topic..
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Word is that Otis is the spot right now.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Middlesex Fells today was good. Definitely a couple muddy spots but overall it has dried out. Orange trail section near Bear Hill is definitely in “closed” mud conditions. Next week I’d think everything should be good to go as long as there is no rain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Any intel on the Holyoke Range? Looks like it has been clear of snow for almost a week......

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelrw View Post
    Middlesex Fells today was good. Definitely a couple muddy spots but overall it has dried out. Orange trail section near Bear Hill is definitely in “closed” mud conditions. Next week I’d think everything should be good to go as long as there is no rain.
    Please don't ride at the Fells. Mud season is now. It is closed to bikes during the month of March or until the DCR opens it. Check out the web site or read ANY of the signs/ kiosks the are at almost every entrance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    The trails at the fells are more dry than during some days in the summer. I'm not going to ride a muddy trail, but I'm not going to stay off a dry one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The trails at the fells are more dry than during some days in the summer. I'm not going to ride a muddy trail, but I'm not going to stay off a dry one.
    How is your english? Comprendo? The trails are CLOSED to mt bikes during the month of March. Familiar with the History at the Fells? Long and storied. Plenty of other places to ride. And sometimes they will lift the ban when the trails are dry enough. Don't be that selfish guy. Really. Check out the GB Nemba pages for more info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    How is your english? Comprendo? The trails are CLOSED to mt bikes during the month of March. Familiar with the History at the Fells? Long and storied. Plenty of other places to ride. And sometimes they will lift the ban when the trails are dry enough. Don't be that selfish guy. Really. Check out the GB Nemba pages for more info.
    You are an angry elf

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Do you think you are helping or advancing the the mt bike cause at the Fells by breaking the rules? So many issues and conflicts there over the past 30 years. A continued and long fought battle to gain more access to trails there. Take the high road. Please. Same with the Blue Hills that has a seasonal closure. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Practice trail evolution, not trail conservation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, if you ride the Fells in March, you can be sure there is some hiker there (also doing trail damage) who will take a picture of your tracks in the mud and bring it to the next access meeting. No biking means no biking, your hour of fun could result in many hours of fighting for access later that we may lose. Here's how the argument will go:

rational mtn biker: we are good stewards of the land, we deserve increased access, we will maintain the trails.
    hiker: mtn bikers almost killed me and they have no regard for the rules
    hiker 2: I saw a mtn bikers genitals once and I felt violated
    hiker 3: look at these pictures i took of mtn bikers violating the park rules by riding in march!

Committee: no access, and that damaged area pictured is banned for mtn bikes too. Also no more mtn bike genitals, they are banned too.
    mtn bikers: crap
    fells mtn bike riders in march: who cares, I got mine, i'm off to skid around corners and build illegal jumps in landlocked forest.
    rational mtn biker: please don't
    fells mtn bike riders in march: F*ck off mate
    landlocked forest: closed (future, hasn't happened yet)
    Fells: the whole park is now the skyline trail! Except for this gravel fireroad 1/2mile long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Do you think you are helping or advancing the the mt bike cause at the Fells by breaking the rules? So many issues and conflicts there over the past 30 years. A continued and long fought battle to gain more access to trails there. Take the high road. Please. Same with the Blue Hills that has a seasonal closure. Cheers.
    Your veiled racism didn't really help your cause, "comprendo"?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Your veiled racism didn't really help your cause, "comprendo"?
    Apologies, my bad. Really wasn't called for and that's not how I roll. At all. Should have just left is at " reading comprehension" or the like. When you say you are going to poach closed trails and jeopardize 30 years of hard fought access, yes I get upset. Trails should be dryer next weekend. Check out local trail conditions on FB. Land Locked forest, Harold Parker and such are close by.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Apologies, my bad. Really wasn't called for and that's not how I roll. At all. Should have just left is at " reading comprehension" or the like. When you say you are going to poach closed trails and jeopardize 30 years of hard fought access, yes I get upset. Trails should be dryer next weekend. Check out local trail conditions on FB. Land Locked forest, Harold Parker and such are close by.
    How is Harold Parker looking? I only ask B/C I am not on FB and live a few hours away. Thanks all...

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    No hard feelings. I can honestly say I didn’t realize there was “charged” situation at the Fells or a “hard closing of trails”. I can respect the March closings in order to keep relations high outside of the mountain biking community. I’ve always priding myself on good trail stewardship- never riding a muddy trail and leaving minimal impact - so I was initially confused by what “closed” really meant. All good by me though - I can wait a week before rippin it up again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No hard feelings. I can honestly say I didn’t realize there was “charged” situation at the Fells or a “hard closing of trails”. I can respect the March closings in order to keep relations high outside of the mountain biking community. I’ve always priding myself on good trail stewardship- never riding a muddy trail and leaving minimal impact - so I was initially confused by what “closed” really meant. All good by me though - I can wait a week before rippin it up again!
    The Fells is just one of those places where bikers are under a microscope, and have been for decades. Plenty of other options without the same level of scrutiny.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^^^ Thanks, cheers. Same deal with the Blue Hills. The 2 biggest areas just outside of Boston, a history of trail conflicts. So many other places to ride with less drama.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    How is Harold Parker looking? I only ask B/C I am not on FB and live a few hours away. Thanks all...
    Not on FB? Hmmm. Check out , local trail conditions on FB. Or NS, MV or GB Nemba on FB for updates. Drying out still some mud. We'll see how the weekend/rain thing shapes up.

EAT MORE GRIME
    don't ride Fells in March

Mountain biking prohibited on unpaved trails from March 1 to March 31 or as posted.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

EAT MORE GRIME
    also general update in Chelmsford/Carlisle/Bedford/Burlington

went out navigatin and checkin on things last night (Mar 25th)

believe it or not still some snow observable in places and under the leaves, more ice and melt and mud. so it's still mud season really... and why not make deposits in the pain bank on the road or much further south for the time being...

even the BFRT still has crushy ice on it in about 4 spots between Lowell/Acton. almost all gone, but mud season is not done...can still see snow in woods off to the sides in a lot of spots
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Go about a third of the way down this page and you'll see some of the damage biking can cause on trails ridden in the off season (ie a landslide)

Two-Wheeled Locusts

mtbr member
    Cape trails are all good to go right now. Been hearing Pine Hills is also riding nice.

mtbr member
    Spring is beginning to spring here in The Shire, about 50% coverage right now and 90% rideable without studs

What are the current trail conditions in Mass?-spring-2019.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Rode Duxbury and a short ride at Pine Hills last Sunday and trails were just about perfect.

mtbr member
    I saw a rut in south Freetown. It was immediately followed by a rock, then a root, and exactly one patch of snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does anyone know whether Northampton’s Holyoke Range trails have dried out enough to ride? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    And suggestions for this weekend? Me and some buddies in Maine want to come ride some cape. I rode Wompatuck last year in early April, and it was as mint as summer. Pine hills apparently is not too bad. Any other Cape / Boston rideable spots?
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I road B-street on Tues and once you got out of the lower pines, it was dry and beautiful. Some ice lingering in the lower pines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerm70 View Post
    I road B-street on Tues and once you got out of the lower pines, it was dry and beautiful. Some ice lingering in the lower pines.
    Thanks so much Tyler. We’re in full Mud season here in VT so looking for a quick escape and that area seems to dry up quickly. Much appreciated.

Bill

mtbr member
    From other riding buddies:
    Blue Hills (Closed till April 1st) - hikers are reporting Ponky side running dry especially single track
    Wompatuck = South (West) side are still very wet in spots. Northern side of the park is good.
    Duxbury = Mint! Dry and fast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironchefjon View Post
    And suggestions for this weekend? Me and some buddies in Maine want to come ride some cape. I rode Wompatuck last year in early April, and it was as mint as summer. Pine hills apparently is not too bad. Any other Cape / Boston rideable spots?
    Anything south of duxbury is going to be mint. It’s all sand and drains instantly.
    The wet spots in Freetown are going to be wet, everything else there is it’s normal bony ride.

mtbr member

Hp?

Would Harold Parker be rideable (dry enough) tomorrow Saturday 3/30?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    Would Harold Parker be rideable (dry enough) tomorrow Saturday 3/30?
    I can report Great Brook still had sections of ice pack and mud on the double track today(my tire track wasn't noticeable among the hoof damage). Didn't bother venturing onto the actual trails. I'd imagine HP to be the same. There's still plenty of snow in shaded spots within the woods. Frost isn't out of the ground entirely yet. It can be ridden, but will likely cause trail damage in areas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Cape Ann trails (Beverly, Manchester/Essex, Gloucester) are dry with hero dirt. Not too much standing water or mud. I don't know about Willowdale, but I would assume it's good to go now.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Trails in the Ponkapoag section of Blue Hills are dry and running nicely.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Class Clown
    Went to the Fells early Sunday, pretty nice. A little mud in parts but mostly dry with dead leaves. Lots of dogs.

mtbr member
    Rode the Fells last night before dark. Pretty dry, lots of leaves. the wet spots are wet. Didn't do a full lap but what I did, South border Road to Sheepfold was nice. it rained last night so conditions may be wet for a day or so.What are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7919.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7918.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7920.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7916.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7915.jpg

mtbr member
    ^ Is that a pillow on your stem?

mtbr member
    No, not a pillow. That is an UE Roll 2 (Close up pic below) the best fitting, loudest, and waterproof Bluetooth speaker. It has a rubberish bottom and an elastic strap that fits around the stem. It is stable without rattles even while riding the orange trial. I have ridden through downpours and it has gotten soaked. As you can see my bars are set up for everyday riding. Bell, light, and speaker.

I went out again last night to see how things drained. I would describe the trails as moist, not wet. Although the wet spots were wetter. Overall the Fells is draining nicely.

There is a berm where the orange trail meets the pond. Looks like it was placed there for erosion control, but make for a nice ramp/ jump.

What are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7926.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7930.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7928.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7927.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Wampatuck was a bit swampatuck in the usual areas, but a lot of it was dry and riding nicely today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A speaker?

mtbr member
    ^ yup, try it, you'll like it. especially if you ride alone (or with a dog). Not only is it great for tunes, if you have a bike tracking app (like strava, mountain bike pro) running it will announce the notifications from the app like split times, distance milestones, etc....

EAT MORE GRIME
    Trail conditions in Mass. right now are.....................

---------------PEEPERS !!!!---------------

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How's Holyoke / Amherst area? Thinking to make the drive down there.

Don't know what Peepers reference...
    Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    RSD Catalyst all road bike
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Tedo, you mean Earl's and Batchelor St? I hear they are good to go.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    How's Holyoke / Amherst area? Thinking to make the drive down there.

Don't know what Peepers reference...
    ride at night

it means spring has sprung

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by craig2007 View Post
    Tedo, you mean Earl's and Batchelor St? I hear they are good to go.
    Cool. Driving down from VT on Sunday hopefully. Do the trails dry out quick if you get rain Saturday morning? I'm from Burlington Vermont area, so unfamiliar with trails down there.

I just know its a super easy drive, and I need some dirt therapy!

What network should I do? I like tech, climbing, and descending. Basically what we used to call mountain biking. Not really interested in driving down there to ride manicured flow...

Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    ride at night

it means spring has sprung
    Ah, I kinda assumed. Thanks!
    Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

mtbr member
    Speakers? Peepers? What about creepers? You know, those people who creep up behind you on a solo road ride, don't say anything, and start drafting off of you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Speakers? Peepers? What about creepers? You know, those people who creep up behind you on a solo road ride, don't say anything, and start drafting off of you.
    I've never been going fast enough on dirt for someone to consider the minor boost worth putting up with the stench

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sounds like you will like the Batchelor Street network. It drys out quickly and has plenty of tech. Check out trailforks app to help navigate. Area is called Mount Holyoke Range State Park on the app. B St trails are on the east side of Rt 116. Definitely hit Jacobs Ladder, Roller Coaster, Lizard King, Southern Belle, and Twister. All the singletrack is fun so you really can’t go wrong. Even the double track is fun to mix it up and add miles. Also there are a few trails not on trailforks that can be accessed by taking Far East and Pete’s Wicked. There’s about 20 miles of singletrack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sounds like you will like the Batchelor Street network. It drys out quickly and has plenty of tech. Check out trailforks app to help navigate. Area is called Mount Holyoke Range State Park on the app. B St trails are on the east side of Rt 116. Definitely hit Jacobs Ladder, Roller Coaster, Lizard King, Southern Belle, and Twister. All the singletrack is fun so you really can’t go wrong. Even the double track is fun to mix it up and add miles. Also there are a few trails not on trailforks that can be accessed by taking Far East and Pete’s Wicked. There’s about 20 miles of singletrack.
    Thank you! I just dowloaded Mass's network on TF. B Street it is! Any recommended order for good flow for maybe a 3 hour ride at a Intermediate / Advanced pace? I don't mind multiple descents and multiple climbs. Just need some dirt (and sun). Northern Vermont is still soggy or icy, and sick of fatbiking (although the season has been tremendous...)
    Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

Class Clown
    i knew someone would ask about the speaker as I did before, and I remembered what it was

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Tedo, are you on strava and able to create and follow a route? If so you can use my ride:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2048977641

The first 5 miles of the strava ride are not considered b st but are super fun. The rest is all b st. Definitely an amazing ride.

If not on strava then I recommend trying to link together the trails I listed in my last post. The order really isn’t important. There are so many singletrack trails and they are all really good- you can’t go wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Tedo, are you on strava and able to create and follow a route? If so you can use my ride:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2048977641

The first 5 miles of the strava ride are not considered b st but are super fun. The rest is all b st. Definitely an amazing ride.

If not on strava then I recommend trying to link together the trails I listed in my last post. The order really isn’t important. There are so many singletrack trails and they are all really good- you can’t go wrong.
    Thank you. Made the drive this morning and did almost a 4 hour ride at B-Street. Trails are super awesome. Love the natural tech. So busy in the lot, but only saw a couple people in the woods which shows how expansive the network is.

I probably could have ridden a little quicker, but I was blindly riding the network (had TF GPS which helped a ton, since no trails are marked). Blindly riding Serpent God could've been bad, but it wasn't (only 1 OS moment coming into a rock garden too fast). Can't wait to make the trip again.
    Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Notaskitrail View Post
    ^ yup, try it, you'll like it. especially if you ride alone (or with a dog). Not only is it great for tunes, if you have a bike tracking app (like strava, mountain bike pro) running it will announce the notifications from the app like split times, distance milestones, etc....
    I like to hear nature, what my tires are doing, stuff like that. Not music or another version of talking computer. Be the wheel.

mtbr member
    I suggest you try it before dismissing. Some Iron Maiden can sometimes get you more pumped up than birds chirping. I am definitely an urban rider. Ride wheelies on my Pivot through downtown everyday as commuter.

As for the trails. These reports are like ski reports, conditions are different from day to day. I rode a proper Orange Trail loop Friday afternoon and trail was mostly dry. Today it is raining, ,so mileage may vary.

What are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7942.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7943.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7944.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7946.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7935.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just not my cup of tea and not why I go out into the woods and enjoy nature. Why do people go for a walk in the woods with ear buds cranked? What ev. Enjoy the ride. Not everyone wants to hear your music, country junk, npr podcast or gansta rap. That 2 log " bridge" is scheduled for a GB Nemba bridge replacement this month.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hopefully coming down from Maine this weekend to hit some dry trails. Is Willowdale rideable? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Billerica/Chelmsford was in great shape this past weekend.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Just not my cup of tea and not why I go out into the woods and enjoy nature. Why do people go for a walk in the woods with ear buds cranked? What ev. Enjoy the ride. Not everyone wants to hear your music, country junk, npr podcast or gansta rap. That 2 log " bridge" is scheduled for a GB Nemba bridge replacement this month.
    Another NEMBA trail work project no one needs. Getting your tires wet is not a crime and that areas been like that for decades so please don't use erosion or wetlands as an argument. I wish those guys would stay away or do something useful to the entire community like advocating for pedal assist bike access instead of turning every trail into a lycra strava fest

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink View Post
    Another NEMBA trail work project no one needs. Getting your tires wet is not a crime and that areas been like that for decades so please don't use erosion or wetlands as an argument. I wish those guys would stay away or do something useful to the entire community like advocating for pedal assist bike access instead of turning every trail into a lycra strava fest
    Did you attend the willowdale event today or plan to attend the one next Saturday? GB has a few lined up ,as well as the MV chapter. Sometimes the rangers or other groups ask for help with projects too. Not always a " mtb" project but one at a park we use. Erosion or wetlands? Hmmm. Yea that's the whole point of being responsible trail users anywhere. Like anywhere. Pedal assist? That there is funny. Go read the Nemba memo on electric " assist" bikes. Not our cup of tea. And I don't wear lycra or use strava, so can't help you there. Enjoy all those awesome trails, cheers. The Fells opener is May 5th, see you there.
    Last edited by leeboh; 1 Week Ago at 04:45 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Seriously? NEMBA has built literally miles of trails in my area in the last 3-4 years. Amazing stuff that I ride all the time. They also do a ton of routine maintenance, clearing deadfalls and clipping back vegetation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    another nemba trail work project no one needs. Getting your tires wet is not a crime and that areas been like that for decades so please don't use erosion or wetlands as an argument. I wish those guys would stay away or do something useful to the entire community like advocating for pedal assist bike access instead of turning every trail into a lycra strava fest
    lol
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

EAT MORE GRIME
    wow

coming from the guy who once said this

shrink sez>>" Maybe once my kids are older and I have more time I'll try to get involved more. In the meantime I stay grateful to nemba for all their hard work and keep riding LW."

flipflopping goodness right here folks

mtbr member
    And the gloves are off!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    And the gloves are off!!!!
    He should go ride Billerica for a healthy does of STFU.
    Or maybe start his own e-bike advocacy group instead of trying to tell other people what we/they should be doing for him.

Of course, you're dealing with a guy that said this:

"Fells not worth the trip and lynn is not great either. Recommend LLF."

Huge comedy that someone who thinks that the oversanitized remains of the PR (now LLF) is better than Lynn Woods finds themselves whining about trails being dumbed down.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    He should go ride Billerica for a healthy does of STFU.
    Or maybe start his own e-bike advocacy group instead of trying to tell other people what we/they should be doing for him.

Of course, you're dealing with a guy that said this:

"Fells not worth the trip and lynn is not great either. Recommend LLF."

Huge comedy that someone who thinks that the oversanitized remains of the PR (now LLF) is better than Lynn Woods finds themselves whining about trails being dumbed down.
    I'll see your Billerica and raise you HP and Lowell.

On a serious note, I must tip my hat to Shrink, who I must admit I'm jealous of as he is 10x the troll I'll ever be. Well done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'll see your Billerica and raise you HP and Lowell.
    Yup - lots of builder cross-over between those places, as well as RM and GBF.
    As someone who has been riding in Lowell/Billerica/Chelmsford since the early 90's, I can only laugh when people try to say things were better before NEMBA got involved in these areas. Only shows that they have zero perspective as far as what's actually been going on.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Made the trip from Vermont and Rode B-Street again on Sunday.

Was able to ride it much, must faster then my initial ride last week since i kinda knew the lay of the land. Like when the punchy climbs were coming... And how much speed for the tech...

I climbed Upper Access in the middle several times, and dropped off the right and left sides once up to Southern Belle. Seemed like that makes a good rhythm out of the place. Big figure 8s.

Great trail guys!
    Last edited by tedo; 1 Week Ago at 05:49 PM.
    Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Made the trip from Vermont and Rode B-Street again on Sunday.

Was able to ride it much, must faster then my initial ride last week since i kinda knew the lay of the land. Like when the punchy climbs were coming... And how much speed for the tech...

I climbed Upper Access in the middle several times, and dropped off to the right an left sides once up to Southern Belle. Seemed like that make a good rhythm out of the place. Big figure 8s.

Great trail guys!
    Sweet! I did a loop between b-street & earls yesterday. Rode Southern Belle ,for the first time in a couple of years. I love that trail! It’s got it all -some climbing, some xc tech sections, some fast flowy sections, some tough to find your rhythm little rock garden sections & when you put it all together, you get my favorite trail in the Holyoke range.

The trail networks in that area are second to none in southern New England.

EAT MORE GRIME
    the work at gilson hill 2018 is friggin madcap. unbelievable use of space

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Kirk and Joe are some of the best. ^^^^

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My appreciation towards the builders of BSF & Russell can't be shown strongly enough. My hatred towards the hackers that have ruined LLF defines the other end of the spectrum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    My appreciation towards the builders of BSF & Russell can't be shown strongly enough. My hatred towards the hackers that have ruined LLF defines the other end of the spectrum.
    ...slow clap...
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Ruined? How so. You mean changed it from the deer paths and junkyard look? Or what? I have helped with some of the boardwalk builds there across the swamps.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Ruined? How so. You mean changed it from the deer paths and junkyard look? Or what? I have helped with some of the boardwalk builds there across the swamps.
    no he means corner cut-thrus, log removal, 'no-reason-to-cut-small-trees-but-lets-saw-some-anyway' and go-rounds not needed... the homogenizing of the trails in there, which mostly are not tough. not any nemba/scout work that stuff is awesome. this is rogue crap he is talking about.

.....unless it was scouts that removed a blowdown that became a feature, that sucked

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rogue stuff? Happens in lots of places. Newbies? Or Strava, take your pick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Rogue stuff? Happens in lots of places. Newbies? Or Strava, take your pick.
    Hard to say. This used to be my weekday morning ride. I'd go out every morning and try to put deadfall on the new braids. Shake my head in horror at the 5 trees cut every day at calf height. They wore me out. I literally couldn't keep up with them. Most trails there are now double track wide. I documented the very beginnings of it towards the bottom of the first page and second page here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/massachusett...e-1009871.html

Also see here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/massachusett...n-1026251.html

I changed jobs and no longer ride there. Maybe one day the vandals will go away and it can be restored.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    There are sometimes rogue, misguided trail gnomes at many places. LDT has had white paint put on trees everywhere.

mtbr member
    Rode the Orange Trail last night. Trails at the Fells definitely wetter than last week. But still mostly hero dirt with great traction.

Thanks to NEMBA for their trail work this past weekend. I wish I could have helped. Couple pictures below. Not a new bridge, but an entirely new reroute. Apologies in advance for my Photoshop skills - The old way has an "x" and the new way is shown with the black line.

What are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7990.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7991.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7992.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7993.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7994.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7995.jpgWhat are the current trail conditions in Mass?-img_7996.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Looks good. I too did not make the trail day, will be attending the Fells opener on May 5th though. NS has Willowdale trail day on the 20th, MV and GB both have some more trail days coming up.