Western MA "Fun" trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member since 1996

Western MA "Fun" trails

I live in NY near Albany and we have access to a lot of nice trails. Most are XC oriented. Fast, pedally, fairy smooth, and not really any "people ride that?" sections. There are a few trail networks I need to ride that are supposed to be more challenging, however they are about an hour or more away. Western MA is closer and may have more trails that I'm looking for:

-some climbing is fine (used to 2000+ feet in CA)
    -switchbacks
    -roll downs and rock sections that are challenging (not vertical drops), think stuff you can't easily walk up.
    -fast downhill rock gardens
    -small drops and jumps (I'm not into big drops or jumps)

Any suggestions? Southern VT or Northwestern CT are also options (I used to live in Trumbull, CT and plan to visit/ride there).
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member since 1996
    I have looked at MTBProject and Trail Forks. However I noticed that the trails seem to be rated on a curve. The Black Diamond trails I've found around here are like blue or even blue/green elsewhere. Nice trails, but not like a black diamond in UT, CO, CA and other places.

I'm not looking for pro line level stuff, and may walk some of this stuff. I do like less challenging trails, but am missing some of the "gnar" I've ridden elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Reach out to Pioneer Valley Nemba, so much great riding out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You need to spend a weekend riding the Holyoke Range - Bachelor Street (in Granby MA) and Earls Trails (other side of the notch, in Amherst/Hadley, MA). There's so much more riding in Western MA, but this is probably the most popular/busy spot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree with pulsepro. Amazing trails! Trailforks is useful in navigating both Earl's Trails and Batchelor St trails. On Trailforks the riding area is called Mount Holyoke Range State Park. Park on Rt 116 at the Notch Visitor Center. Earl's Trails are located across the street and B St. trails same side as the visitor center. B St is where you will find the gnar that you are looking for. Each area is a destination on their own. Some riders combine both networks for a longer ride. Trails not to be missed: Earls- Condo, Glenna Belle, and Tinker Trail. B St- Jacobs Ladder, Roller Coaster, Twister, and Southern Belle. Enjoy!

achiever
    I'll echo what pulsepro & craig2007 said & add a link to a map that should help you out. It's a bit early in the season, especially for Earl's trails but in a couple more weeks, everything should be pretty much good to go. Have fun!

Map of the Holyoke Range

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Holyoke Range is 90+ miles from Albany.

Have you been to the Saratoga trails off of Daniel's road or out to Pittstown State forest? Colonie Park and the other loops off the bike path used to be good for an after work ride.

The areas around Pittsfield, Ma may be your best bet. They have tech and climbing. Top of the list is Yokun Ridge beyond Kennedy Park. October Mountain and Balance Rock used to have trails. Not sure if they still do.

If you miss climbing - head up to Moreau some weekend.

mdc
    mtbr member
    You should also check out Thunder Mountain Bike Park. Lots of easy flow trail type riding, but some really fun gnarly stuff as well. Well worth checking out!

mtbr member
    I still regard Holyoke as my favorite place I've ridden in the east. Unfortunately I've only ridden there once. Newburgh NY is interesting riding

mtbr member since 1996
    Thanks all. I actually have family in Holyoke. It could be an easy weekend trip.

Daniels Road SMBA is at the top of my list to go ride.

Lots of other suggestions Iíve noted as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Batchelor St in Granby/Amherst MA. specifically , serpant god, lizard king, missing persons trails. There are not really any drops or jumps, just really rocky. You could probably find some drop lines if you wanted to.

there are some drop trails in sawmill hill in northampton, "spork" is one of them

I've heard there is some insane stuff on the south side of the holyoke range west of rt116. Stuff that only the people that do dumb things on DH bikes do.