Wendell July 10 Mountain Bike Adventure Series is back at this mid-state gem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wendell July 10 Mountain Bike Adventure Series is back at this mid-state gem

July 10th we'll again be gathering at Wendell State Forest for a day of riding, barbecue, camaraderie and DEMOs.

The trails will be prepped (most done after this past weekend), the pork will be pulled (thanks team Shier), the crowds will be present (that means you) and the Werks (Valley Bike and Ski Werks) will be there with the GT Demo fleet.

A day not to be missed. Loops for all, a little techy, a little climby, but loads of fun.

More details to follow.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Keep us posted!

mtbr member

Event's Facebook Page

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...25400700877482

Loops we did last year. May be a few changes this year, I'll update when we decide...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wendell July 10 Mountain Bike Adventure Series is back at this mid-state gem-wendell-2010-mbas-loops.jpg  

Last edited by hado_pv; 06-28-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    NEMBA Past President...

scavenger
    Jul 2009
    Looks like a blast. I live in Orange, and I'm just getting into riding again. i just bought a used Trek Fuel 90 in great shape and I'm looking to go ride. Wendell is only 10 mins away from me. I figured this would be a good way to get my feet wet once again. Do I need to be a NEMBA member before this event or can I join there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

If you join at the event

you get in free

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I just did a great ride on 'the other side of the street' at Wendell mixing in two brothers and a few other 'in the park trails'. For my money, it's the best ride in MA. it's not an 'easy' ride, but the amount of biker built and biker 'enhanced' singletrack there is impressive.

I haven't ridden a better flowier, mildly technical trail than the Nipmuck in MA (certainly nothing that compares in length) nor have I found a more riveting contiguous piece of technical single track than the Mormon Hollow/ Hannah Swarton loop (damn near 5 miles of of gritty, unbroken, biker built challenge).

I love the $13 Trail, the slightly reworked trail to the lookouts and the backside of the M&M. Two Brothers, Wickett pond trails (old and new) and the Pond trail serve up some of the most pleasant (and sometimes challenging) bucolic trail experience anywhere as they wind around several lovely forest ponds. And the trails connected to Wendell SF like the M&M and the Robert Frost are superlative long pieces of high-quality single track.

This is always a great event-and along with the Wicked Ride of the East at Harold Parker and the Berkshire Pittsfield SF ride is part of the crowning trilogy of the Nemba MBAS series.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'll be away this year so I'll miss it. I attended last year, the trails are great - real remote deep woods New England singletrack.

mtbr member
    Working on securing a second fleet of demos. Not definite yet, but its looking good.

Thinking of putting together a family loop sticking mainly to the fire roads, a short demo loop so you can cycle through all the offerings, a climby but not very technical novice loop, and an expert loop with several optional sections that, if you take them all, I guarantee will leave you needing more than Jamie's BBQ to restore your energy!
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member

Got 'em

An update: The loops are starting to get worked out and I've secured another vendor with a fleet of Demos.

Felt's Van will be out there with full size runs in their Nine, Edict, and Virtue lines- Basically, a bike for any style! They'll have their knowledgeable staff on hand to help set you up with the right size and settings on anyone of their numerous mountain bikes, so bring some riding shoes, a helmet and be ready to have some fun!

I've configured the loop so folks can stop mid-way and switch bikes, plus we've dedicated a nasty down-hill and road climb as a demo loop.

Make sure your plans for this weekend include Wendell
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nice Harold-I really like the Felt niner stuff!

Hey man, we can work on the loop tomorrow and the next day and I'll help arrow on Friday.

Did GT bail or will they be there as well?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well, right now the long range forecast is suggesting it will be a fantastic weekend for riding (sunny and low 80's!). Wendell will be drive and primed for riding. Harold is cooking up some extensive loops and food and demos will be on hand. This is shaping up to be the best Wendell MBAS yet (dry trails go a long way at this park!).

Liam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    Nice Harold-I really like the Felt niner stuff!

Hey man, we can work on the loop tomorrow and the next day and I'll help arrow on Friday.

Did GT bail or will they be there as well?

No bailing. 2 super demo fleets for everyone to try out.

Great designs, nice parts specs, and great techs on hand from both vendors!

As much as I like the Felt Nine hardtail, I just loved the GT Sensor I demoed a couple years ago and think it is a perfect Wendell machine.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Wendell

Anyone know how long the advanced loops will be? Can I get a 4hr ride in? Thanks-Mike

mtbr member
    We're thinking of looping the park like this:

Blue is the main Loop for Intermediates and Above

Black are the optional Hero Sections.

Tan - Expert Demo Loop

I'd hate to promise anyone less than 4 hours to cover all the options, but it is probably possible!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wendell July 10 Mountain Bike Adventure Series is back at this mid-state gem-wendell-state-forest-2011-mbas-version-2.jpg  

NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Riding all options as Harold has laid them out-blue and black loops-is a 4 + hour ride for all but the strongest riders.

The full 'in the park' options alone are over 3 hours of challenging riding.

Before anyone asks, do we have an estimate of total mileage for the whole thing???

I like how you added a full wickett pond loop to the ride...wicket pond east is the least known, hyper challenging trail in the valley.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks guys-Sounds great-hoping to be there-Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post

Before anyone asks, do we have an estimate of total mileage for the whole thing???.
    Nope!
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    By the way, if it's needed I'm willing to lead a group on the extended loop, hitting all trails. Fast pace, not much stopping. Leave at 9:30 or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly View Post
    By the way, if it's needed I'm willing to lead a group on the extended loop, hitting all trails. Fast pace, not much stopping. Leave at 9:30 or so.

Thanks Chaz.

We'd love to have you do that.

H
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Then it's official.
    Fast/expert ride leaves at 9:30 from wherever it is all the cars are parked.

mtbr member
    Wendell is ready for Sunday's MBAS.

Led rides in 15 minute intervals starting at 9:30 starting with the fastest then tapering back a bit at a time.

Spent 5 hours flagging today, and about the same yesterday. Still a bit to finish in the morning, but noone should get lost... (thanks Stef, Mitch and Howard for your help. Liam too?!)

See you all tomorrow.
    Last edited by hado_pv; 07-09-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Smelly,

how'd that fast ride go? You left with a very big crew--did all those guys hang in for the whole thing?

mtbr member
    I think we started with 11 and ended with 5. A few had to "leave early", and the group petered out from there. We didn't quite follow the arrowed loop, but rode Mormon Hollow ---> Hannah Swarton --->Hannah Swarton ---> Mormon Hollow because the guys from the Berkshires liked those two so much. Good ride.

mtbr member
    I was a little late to the party and missed the group rides but still had a great time. I put together a post with photos and my review of a couple of the demos (the GT Sensor and the Felt Virtue). The link is in my profile (sorry... still a new member).

Thanks NEMBA!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    I was a little late to the party and missed the group rides but still had a great time. I put together a post with photos and my review of a couple of the demos (the GT Sensor and the Felt Virtue). The link is in my profile (sorry... still a new member).

Thanks NEMBA!
    Great post. Glad you had a good time

http://nebackcountry.blogspot.com/20...d-on.html#more
    NEMBA Past President...

Nostralpicas
    I came up from the cape (3 hours) with my wife and her friend, we all started out with the second intermediate ride about 7 of us the group broke into two groups quickly both led by locals Tyler and bill. We all had a great ride loved the trails,huge park. Maybe not as techy as a foxboro or a harold parker. but a great mix of flowy techy wonderfullness.
    Thanks to everyone that made it happen. looking forward to going back in november.
    All work and no play makes "and all no work play"