This weekend Cape Cod riding recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

This weekend Cape Cod riding recommendations

Hi! My buddy in Dennis said itís completely clear near him and assumed the cape should be clear and dirt. Anyone been out or any recommendations as to the cleanest riding. Plan to pack up bikes w/ GF and head down early sat from Portland, ME. Thanks!!!!

mtbr member
    it's all sand, so anything that's not north facing should be good. Be careful on any ice in the low spots.
    Really though, you shouldn't even have to worry about rutting anything up.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Deluxebury was perfect this past Sunday. Could cut your drive short by 40 minutes each way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Woah! What is this ďDeluxeburyĒ you speak of? Assuming itís some trail system in Duxbury?

mtbr member
    This is Exit 7 in Yarmouth today. But with the weekend warmup, it should melt fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineland View Post
    Woah! What is this ďDeluxeburyĒ you speak of? Assuming itís some trail system in Duxbury?
    Yes off of Mayflower rd. Fun spot for a coupla hours of hero riding.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 382
Size:  54.4 KB

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    This is Exit 7 in Yarmouth today. But with the weekend warmup, it should melt fast.

Yikes that looks terrible.😳

mtbr member
    Go on to CCNEMBA FB page for recent reports. One rider gave up at TOT this morning. Too icy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Dux rode well yesterday, mostly crunchy snow about a half inch thick, a small amount of ice. Sunny areas are drying out, lots of bare dirt. I expect today and tomorrow will be even better.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Dux rode well yesterday, mostly crunchy snow about a half inch thick, a small amount of ice. Sunny areas are drying out, lots of bare dirt. I expect today and tomorrow will be even better.
    Good to know. I donít think Duxbury got the rain that the Cape didnít

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    So, what do you think will be driest? Can go anywhere and hoping to avoid the wind.

banned
    Nov 2017
    If you go to the cape, sounds like lower Cape would be better than Yarmouth or TOT. Nickerson better. With that gracious Deluxebury report from dirtyjack I'd hit that place up and save you time and fuel over going down to the Cape.

mtbr member
    I'll be riding Duxbury tomorrow somewhere between 9:00 and 10:00. Happy to give you the full tour. Forecast is 36 and sunny, SW wind 16mph.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

banned
    Nov 2017
    52 degrees and sunny tomorrow for Duxbury.
    National Weather Service

mtbr member
    Yeah, the afternoon will be toasty.

SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Oh man, that would be amazing. We wonít be in town until just before noon though. Hoping it warms up as the day wears on and kills some of the ice. Will be around for Sunday and Monday riding too if you are heading out.

banned
    Nov 2017
    I may be down next weekend with one day most likely being a loooooong connector of Yarmouth, TOT, Otis and many areas in between.

mtbr member
    Duxbury started out today with crunchy snow and ice that was more grippy than it looked. As the day wore on there were puddles and a bit of slushy snow. Maybe 1/3 is bare dirt.

Our Sunday crew will be riding Dux again tomorrow at 9:30.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawReynolds View Post
    I may be down next weekend with one day most likely being a loooooong connector of Yarmouth, TOT, Otis and many areas in between.
    You must be R.C. In disguise.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Iíll be doing a secret trails of Dennis tour on Monday.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    You must be R.C. In disguise.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 347
Size:  55.1 KB

banned
    Nov 2017
    Iíll be doing a secret trails of Dennis tour on Monday.

Between 134 and Punkhorn? Or over to Hawksnest?

mtbr member
    Between 134 and Punkhorn? Or over to Hawksnest?
    Punkhorn to Dennis water district over to Hokum Rock to Flax Pond by a northerly route and return via southern route. So itís between Slough Rd Brewster and N. Dennis Rd near the Badlands Yarmouth.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    Punkhorn to Dennis water district over to Hokum Rock to Flax Pond by a northerly route and return via southern route. So itís between Slough Rd Brewster and N. Dennis Rd near the Badlands Yarmouth.

Very nice. Been eons since I frequented those zones. Endless exploration.

banned
    Nov 2017
    R.C.
    Referring to Mr Cousins?

mtbr member
    Referring to Mr Cousins?
    Roger Camouflage?

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    Roger Camouflage?

Haha I guess my 4 degree F ride selfie above is appropriate. I thought you were talking about MTB legend Ron. Wonder if he's still down there. That guy wrote the book on Cape connector epic rides. I just "enhanced" them.

mtbr member
    Iím in Dennis and thereís so much stuff surrounding me. But I want to get out to Wellfleet to ride some of the stuff out there.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    Iím in Dennis and thereís so much stuff surrounding me. But I want to get out to Wellfleet to ride some of the stuff out there.

Ah yes, "The Gauntlet". Some very cool trail up that way. "Wiamea", "little China"......

Start from Idle times in Eastham and head north to Truro on a great mix of stuff. A lot of that stuff was cut by the lifeguards of 4 mile when the surf was flat. Motos did their fair share as well.

mtbr member
    Ah yes, "The Gauntlet". Some very cool trail up that way. "Wiamea", "little China"......

Start from Idle times in Eastham and head north to Truro on a great mix of stuff. A lot of that stuff was cut by the lifeguards of 4 mile when the surf was flat. Motos did their fair share as well.
    Any more info on this? I am down quite a bit and live near the national parks visitor center in Eastham by the bike shop. Hoping to ride this weekend.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    " Might" have some weather in the next day or 2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Sat/Sunday look to be clear and low 40s. No problem if I can gather some ambition.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post

Dude quit it with your "mud season" jibber jabber" the riding had been amazing despite your delusional claims and you can ride pretty much anywhere on the cape during monsoon rains and be fine. Trust me I have way more experience with regards to Cape riding than you ever will.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepRage View Post
    Any more info on this? I am down quite a bit and live near the national parks visitor center in Eastham by the bike shop. Hoping to ride this weekend.
    What more info do you need? Head into the woods with your bike east of the shop, head north and take lefts and rights till you figure it out. Explore, adventure. You'll have fun.👍

banned
    Nov 2017
    Sat/Sunday look to be clear and low 40s. No problem if I can gather some ambition.
    It'll be perfect.

mtbr member
    There are two Idle Times in Eastham as a start. Never ridden the area either.

I'm assuming Bracket road. I'll figure it out.

banned
    Nov 2017
    There are two Idle Times in Eastham as a start. Never ridden the area either.

I'm assuming Bracket road. I'll figure it out.
    The one by the Thai restaurant. If it's still there. A plaza. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Dude quit it with your "mud season" jibber jabber" the riding had been amazing despite your delusional claims and you can ride pretty much anywhere on the cape during monsoon rains and be fine. Trust me I have way more experience with regards to Cape riding than you ever will.
    The "weather" I was talking about is the Noreaster blowing in. That is all. Looks like the Cape will be a miss for snow. I don't pedal well in a foot of wet snow. Cheers.

mtbr member
    The one by the Thai restaurant. If it's still there. A plaza. Enjoy!
    As soon as I get back from Florida thatís the area Iíd Ike to explore. Is it dirt roads or old MX trails like the Rt6 trails?
    My buddy works at the Idle Times in Orleans. Didnít realize thereís two in Eastham.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    One is on 6 by Nauset ice cream, the other is around the corner on Bracket by Beanstock Coffee just before the bike path. They are very close to each other.

The Eastham area trails are very flat. Probably the flattest section of the Cape that has trails. It's a 50/50 mix of fire roads and singletrack. Easy access from behind Nauset high. Some nice ocean views at the trails that dead end above the beach. Some sections of the Old Kings Highway through this area is like riding on the beach.

However, imo - go to Lecount Hollow rd and park at the end of the bike path. Head towards Truro and explore. Very similar trails to what you find at Willow/Greenough/TOT/etc.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by berkshire_rider View Post
    One is on 6 by Nauset ice cream, the other is around the corner on Bracket by Beanstock Coffee just before the bike path. They are very close to each other.

The Eastham area trails are very flat. Probably the flattest section of the Cape that has trails. It's a 50/50 mix of fire roads and singletrack. Easy access from behind Nauset high. Some nice ocean views at the trails that dead end above the beach. Some sections of the Old Kings Highway through this area is like riding on the beach.

However, imo - go to Lecount Hollow rd and park at the end of the bike path. Head towards Truro and explore. Very similar trails to what you find at Willow/Greenough/TOT/etc.
    We start from idle times and ride the Eastham stuff up thru Marconi then to the "gauntlet" trail network between lecount hollow rd and cahoons hollow rd then head on more trail up to pamet area in Truro.

Or I used to sometimes start at my house in Centerville by hathaways pond and ride that stuff to the Yarmouth trails via the shepley bypass and bushwood then thru greenough, badlands and secret trails in Dennis to and thru Punkhorn in Brewster then hit up Nickerson to the old "surf n dirt" MTB XC race course loop on in Orleans then a bit of rail trail up to south Eastham and hit the trails between coast guard beach and the gauntlet in welfleet, ride the guantlet then limp my way the 40+ miles all the way back to Centerville any way I could muster. Those were long solo 80+ mile 8+ hour days with little stopping. No one would join me for those rides. But if yer driving all the way to the cape you might as well go big. Man I loved that old steel Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berkshire_rider View Post

Itís been years, but, Iíve ridden the Gauntlet and other trails in that area. Definitely hilly. But at 70 years old, I enjoy some flat trails too. Allows me to extend my rides. Living on the Cape allows me to choose what type of trails I want to ride on that particular day. Itís the variations that I like.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Was going to run down tomorrow(Sunday) to ride. How are things after the storm and where is a good spot to hit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineland View Post
    Was going to run down tomorrow(Sunday) to ride. How are things after the storm and where is a good spot to hit?
    I am in Eastham and explored today along Idle Times trail mentioned earlier. Nothing special until I turned around and road the beach.

No snow on ground, what trail I saw was dry. I've never been to Nickerson but I'd start there.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Nickerson is some of the most enchanting and diverse riding on the cape with loops of up to and over 20 miles put together. The Eastham trails aren't a destination, just extra ground to get you to the stuff further north.

Headed down Easter Weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How bad did you guys get hit with this last storm? I'm trying to find a spot for a ride tomorrow and was hoping Otis would be gtg. Any reports, or should I plan on driving farther?

banned
    Nov 2017
    Woods are a mess on the Cape. Best to ride elsewhere. Snowmobile trails are riding great right now as are areas that see a lot of human traffic. I'll be riding Aggie by me. Skinny no studs fine.

mtbr member
    ... Headed down Easter Weekend.
    I'm also planning on heading to the Cape on long Easter weekend, driving down from Canada with my van/rv ... but since campgrounds seem to only open-up later in May, I was wondering if there was a safe/legal place to park overnight ... ideally in the middle of Otis/TOT/Willow/Nickerson ? (can't wait to start my season on dirt ... it's been such a long winter here)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Woods are a mess on the Cape. Best to ride elsewhere. Snowmobile trails are riding great right now as are areas that see a lot of human traffic. I'll be riding Aggie by me. Skinny no studs fine.
    TX, I decided to cancel. I'd have to drive 4+ hrs to find anything rideable, which would leave no time for riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by whtdel View Post
    I'm also planning on heading to the Cape on long Easter weekend, driving down from Canada with my van/rv ... but since campgrounds seem to only open-up later in May, I was wondering if there was a safe/legal place to park overnight ... ideally in the middle of Otis/TOT/Willow/Nickerson ? (can't wait to start my season on dirt ... it's been such a long winter here)
    Still winter here. More to come next week. Huge amounts of trees and branches down in lots of new England from 3 Noreasters. CC Nemba might have some boots on the ground reports soon. Park? Walmart parking lots for RV's are a thing?

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by whtdel View Post
    Ya what Leeboh said, Walmart. Thereís one in Hyannis I think. TOT should be largely clear by then I would think. I ride out of Hyannis and hit up TOT, willow, and Otis right from Hyannis. Connect stuff up depending on where Iím going. Iíll be riding Sunday am if you want to hook up. I know how to loop up pretty much everything everywhere.

mtbr member
    Ya what Leeboh said, Walmart. Thereís one in Hyannis I think. TOT should be largely clear by then I would think. I ride out of Hyannis and hit up TOT, willow, and Otis right from Hyannis. Connect stuff up depending on where Iím going. Iíll be riding Sunday am if you want to hook up. I know how to loop up pretty much everything everywhere.
    Send a ride report. CCNEMBA reports are that trails are a mess. Nickerson lost 200 trees.
    Iím still in Florida and hope the trails are clear by the time I get home in April. Check out the CCTIMES for some pictures of the destruction. Horrible.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    Send a ride report. CCNEMBA reports are that trails are a mess. Nickerson lost 200 trees.
    Iím still in Florida and hope the trails are clear by the time I get home in April. Check out the CCTIMES for some pictures of the destruction. Horrible.

Will do. Great dismount/mount practice😀

mtbr member
    Will do. Great dismount/mount practice

Hereís some pix from TOT

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    Heh bout time that NEMBA chapter does some trail work lol. Lots of meetings (beer drinking) and rides, but not as much in the way of trail work from what I've seen in recent years 😜.

That said, I'll be bringing a saw with me on my rides.

mtbr member
    Heh bout time that NEMBA chapter does some trail work lol. Lots of meetings (beer drinking) and rides, but not as much in the way of trail work from what I've seen in recent years .

That said, I'll be bringing a saw with me on my rides.
    Thatís all changed in the last few years. Guys are quick to get out and clear trails. Scheduled trail maintenance days. Itís a whole new CCNEMBA

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Nov 2017
    I'm sure. Stoked to get out for a ride up my way tomorrow on a mix of tamped down hiking and snomo trails. Gonna be chilly😳