Want to try riding Thunder Mountain - what do I need?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Want to try riding Thunder Mountain - what do I need?

I'm an XC guy and have been since I started riding in 1994. Never done a shuttle or taken a chair lift for riding purposes. But, my new bike seems capable of lift-served riding and I'd like to try out riding at Thunder Mountain. Aside from my bike, what sort of special (non-XC) equipment do people recommend? Helmet, knee and elbow pads, gloves, eye protection? I'm not looking to spend cash on specialized equipment I'll only use once or twice a year.

Thanks all!

@njcshreds
    I am pretty sure you can rent protective gear at the park. I like to wear gloves and I wear goggles. When I first started riding DH I just wore old ski goggles.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Full face helmet

@njcshreds
    I'll also add if you usually clip in to ride trails you may want to consider switching to flats for the bike park. At least for your first time there. (So I heard, I always ride flats)
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    If you're just going to try it you really don't need anything you don't already have, gloves/glasses/helmet, drop your post a little and rip it. They have trails for all skill levels. If you're looking to go and get aggressive and ride the dbl blacks or send it on Hollywood then, pads and full face helmet.

mdc
    mtbr member
    A full face and goggles. Other than that -add more air to your tires so they aren't squirmy in the corners, and firm up your suspension.

Thunder is a blast. They have SUPER easy green trails, flowy blues and blacks and some pretty gnarly double blacks. Great place to ride and hang out after- enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Take a lesson and rent all the correct gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    If you're just going to try it you really don't need anything you don't already have, gloves/glasses/helmet, drop your post a little and rip it. They have trails for all skill levels. If you're looking to go and get aggressive and ride the dbl blacks or send it on Hollywood then, pads and full face helmet.
    I would agree with this...you need to respect the fact that no amount of XC riding compares to some of the stuff you will see and realize there are high consequences for failure.

Been doing technical XC riding for 30 years but only a few treks to lift accessed terrain (Gore NY; MT Snow VT, Waterville Valley NH, Highland Park NH). In all cases I had no problems ripping technical steep downhills but the HITS are a totally different thing. There's no shame in 'go-arounds'! My regular gear and good judgement are all I needed. If I was to spend time working my skills on the hits I would definitely consider full face & pads.

I want to try Thunder this summer - skied Berkshire East a few times but never biked it.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I feel like using solid judgement and riding mellow(duh!), I'll be ok with my current rig and gear while I try out this lift-served riding thing. I live close to Charlemont, so no reason not to give it a go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Pulse Pro.... a suspension bike seriously ups the fun factor. Sure, great riders can ride a lot of it on a hard tail (including a 29+), but you won't give yourself the best opportunity to really see what the steep side of the sport is all about without some rear springs.
    Doesn't have to be a DH rig, or even a burlier enduro rig, a solid modern Trail bike will suffice (though, you'll put a hurting on the brake pads, tires, etc-that's the real advantage of the bigger bikes-durabilty in the face of fire).

Just saying, I don't what you're riding these days, but I seem to recall you were an all-mountain hard tail/ 29er plus bike devotee in the past. Worth it to borrow a ride or rent one if you ain't got one.

I'd lend you one if you hit Thunder on a day I'm working...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    This.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    Pulse Pro.... a suspension bike seriously ups the fun factor. Sure, great riders can ride a lot of it on a hard tail (including a 29+), but you won't give yourself the best opportunity to really see what the steep side of the sport is all about without some rear springs.
    Doesn't have to be a DH rig, or even a burlier enduro rig, a solid modern Trail bike will suffice (though, you'll put a hurting on the brake pads, tires, etc-that's the real advantage of the bigger bikes-durabilty in the face of fire).

Just saying, I don't what you're riding these days, but I seem to recall you were an all-mountain hard tail/ 29er plus bike devotee in the past. Worth it to borrow a ride or rent one if you ain't got one.

I'd lend you one if you hit Thunder on a day I'm working...
    Hi Liam, thanks for the very thoughtful reply and the very kind offer. BUT, I just built up a brand new Kona Process, so I'm sporting a legit big boy bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Process is the perfect bike for Thunder- look forward to seeing you on the hill

Liam

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    How's the process climb? 134 or 153? It's on my shortlist to replace my Prophet MX1 & v1 Nomad next year. I'm definitely more of an all-mountain style rider, and hoping to attend some more ESC enduros. I ride for the downs, but like to earn my turns as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    And... you'll love Thunder. They've done a great job building a variety of trails. The Gronk is a great introduction to small, jump flow trails.