Visiting from Maine, staying in Holyoke area.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Visiting from Maine, staying in Holyoke area.

Hey mass folks,

The cabin fever is hitting me hard up here in Maine where its too snowy and muddy to ride. With spring break fast approaching, I figured I'd take a road trip and stay with some folks down in Holyoke.

Since this winter has been super mild, I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for some good rides in the Holyoke range area? Whats dry and ride-able these days and whats not? I'm also open to suggestions for other great rides...I'm not picky at all, I'll ride fire road all day if it means I can get out of the house!

Thanks guys!
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

mtbr member
    Everything is rideable, at least right now. That could change with a deluge of rain or a few inches of snow, though.

You'll be in close proximity to Batchelor Street, Earl's, and Robinson state park, which makes for 50+ miles of biker built singletrack.

When are you coming? If you want a tour of Earl's or B street, plenty of folks can provide one (me included). The Hare is the man to contact for a tour of Robinson state park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is Earl's in decent riding shape? I tried it a week or so back, but it was still pretty muddy / icy in a lot of places. A lot of the trails there seemed like they could use some rest.

Bachelor Street trails are fantastic -- just rode them today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bachelor street trails look like a blast from the YouTube videos I just watched. Whats the best way to get to said trails? Can you just access these trails through the entrance of Skinner State Park?

Wow this place brings back memories. I used to picnic there when I was a kid!
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

mtbr member
    Yeah, earl's might still be mucky since it's north facing. Haven't been there, but was in some other north facing areas this weekend that seemed ok, so I just assumed.
    Best way to get there is to park at the trailhead on Batchelor street in Granby.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    @ironchefjon : there are lots of great trails for exploration in Holyoke. Many trails can be accessed via the two off-line reservoirs: The Ashley Reservoir, and the Whiting Street Reservoir which both have great parking.

Park at the end of Mountain Park Access road and bike to the right to access the Whiting Street Reservoir or left up a steep paved hill and past some abandon ski lodges to access a network of hiking trails around Mt. Tom and Little Tom. Alternatively, you can park on Old Easthampton Road (off rt.141) to access the opposite side of the reservoir and also the Metacomet and Monadnok which has an easy to find trail-head directly on the very short, residential road.

The Ashley Reservoir is much larger (est. 6-8 miles around) and has network of skinny causeways that intersect the water. It can be found on Rt. 202 in West Holyoke after the crossing of 202 and Homestead Ave. The reservoir roads and causeways are AWESOME to rip on a road or cyclocross bike. At the far end of the reservoir there is a stone pumping house with adjacent railroad tracks. Cross the tracks to find gnarly dirt roads that lead to Bearhole watershed area in West Springfield and Westfield. Off of these dirt roads you can find some technical trails forged by hunters. Search hard enough around the reservoir and you will find a bmx track, some stoner spots, and some really nasty super technical nightmare trails that lead up to the "Other Reservoir" which is "not open to the public."

Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Drew

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Whiting Street Reservoir

Members who have read this thread: 0