Visiting the Berkshires from South Africa- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Visiting the Berkshires from South Africa

Angela (my wife) and I are visiting from late June 2015 and want to ride your trails. We have about 2 years experience and like longish rides with a mix of climbs, downhills, technical, single and jeep track.

The video below (Thanks Doug Smart) is the route we ride inside our city (Johannesburg, pop 4m) regularly. I'd say my skill level is similar to the riders in the video.

One of my last rides in Johannesburg

We need your help to point us in the right direction with links, pics, vids, names of places.

Berkshire Bike n Boat rentals may be a bit expensive for 3 week rental with our weak currency - we may be able to buy bikes for a similar price and sell them when we leave for give away prices.

Any and all help, comments appreciated.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KSJzEPRyKcA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Check out the Pioneer Valley site @ NEMBA. Face Book too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yokun Ridge/Kennedy Park, October Mountain, and Pittsfield Forest/Balance Rock areas all have plenty of good trails right in the Berkshires. The Pioneer Valley trails would likely be more than an hour drive, depending on where in the Berkshires you are staying if that's a concern.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Check out the Pioneer Valley site @ NEMBA. Face Book too.
    Thanks - I'll have a look

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berkshire_rider View Post
    Yokun Ridge/Kennedy Park, October Mountain, and Pittsfield Forest/Balance Rock areas all have plenty of good trails right in the Berkshires. The Pioneer Valley trails would likely be more than an hour drive, depending on where in the Berkshires you are staying if that's a concern.
    Kennedy Park - I've seen a trail mapped on Berkshire Sports? Looks like a good ride.

We are staying in Lenox.

Thanks

mtbr member
    A bunch of us ride together - we call ourselves the Cyclopaths. Our youngest rider is my son (25), and our oldest is about 70. We ride twice during the week on the spruit (rhymes with rate) in the video above, and on weekends we do longer rides.

Does anyone know of a group of people that ride socially in the Berkshires or surrounding areas? We'll be visiting the Dovydenas family, my brother is marrying into their family.

mtbr member
    There is a big group ride every Monday Night at 5:30 in Pittsfield State Forest, all experience levels.

mtbr member
    If you're here on the 19-21st you should consider going up to NEMBA Fest in Vermont.

P.S. it's Berkshire Bike and Board

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    If you're here on the 19-21st you should consider going up to NEMBA Fest in Vermont.

P.S. it's Berkshire Bike and Board
    Unfortunately we will miss the Fest as we fly on the 25th.

Thanks for the correction
    Looking for good places to ride in Massachusetts and nearby. Also 2 MTB's to loan/rent. Visiting USA end Jun 2015.:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    We're on a tight budget and would like to know the location of the free rides. To give an indication of local access charges in MTB parks, we pay equivalent of between $3-$8.

And here comes the 20 question tirade.

There is a big group ride every Monday Night at 5:30 in Pittsfield State Forest, all experience levels.
    530pm - night ride? Being June and 42 deg N, you probably have a late sunset.
    Does one need a light?
    What is the entrance fee to the Pittsfield State forest?
    Does the group have a name?
    Are they on social media? Our group uses whatsapp for ride communication and banter, and FB for general interest. I can be inboxed for my local mobile # or email address to join the group if this is the case.

Yokun Ridge I see is east of Lenox. This seems to be a popular destination with good climbs.
    Having browsed the web, Kennedy Park appears to be a public park with free access to all. Is this the case?
    Liam from The Muthaland has a review here that reads that one rides from Kennedy Park to Yokun Ridge - seems to be a BIG ride. We may consider this one as MTB'ng is a great way to see the country. I love driving, but the speed is too high to appreciate the beauty.

October Mountain looks great as well.

Who does Strava?
    If you do Strava, you can follow me here. I'll then follow you to see where you ride, and ask you to send me your GPX file or Garmin file
    Looking for good places to ride in Massachusetts and nearby. Also 2 MTB's to loan/rent. Visiting USA end Jun 2015.:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    you will not need a light for the 5:30 evening ride. PSF parking pass is $2.00 but that's only if someone is at the entrance collecting. We are not an organized group but rides are generally posted on FB on the Pittsfield Mountain Bikers page. All other parks are dead free as they don't have sanctioned MTB trails. I highly recommend you make your first Monday night ride if you want more information on other local trails, bring beer and you will probably earn a guide or two See you in June

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you're in New England for a while, I highly recommend you spend a weekend at the Kingdom Trails in VT.

mtbr member
    Thats where NEMBA Fest is being held

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    If you're in New England for a while, I highly recommend you spend a weekend at the Kingdom Trails in VT.
    Got a link?

Thats where NEMBA Fest is being held
    Thanks - my Apple maps should find the way

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Green View Post
    We're on a tight budget and would like to know the location of the free rides. To give an indication of local access charges in MTB parks, we pay equivalent of between $3-$8.

530pm - night ride? Being June and 42 deg N, you probably have a late sunset.
    Does one need a light?
    What is the entrance fee to the Pittsfield State forest?

Yokun Ridge I see is east of Lenox. This seems to be a popular destination with good climbs.
    Having browsed the web, Kennedy Park appears to be a public park with free access to all. Is this the case?

Generally, only state parks have access fees, and then it's mostly the ones that have a beach or some other popular activity that requires staffing. Unless things have changed, October Mountain definitely does not have a fee, and you'll likely not even see anyone else there except maybe other riders.

It will be light out until almost 9pm in July.

I haven't lived in that area in 8 or 9 years, but we used to park at the Acadian shop in Lenox (No access fee) and start in Kennedy and then head up to the good stuff. There appears to be a bunch of new trail on the North side of Reservoir Road that didn't exist when I rode there.

Kennedy Park can also be accessed from parking lots on Aspenwall Road and Dugway road.

All three areas trails can be found on the heatmap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

mtbr member
    NEMBAfest @ KT 2015 | NEMBA

just about a 3 hr drive from Pittsfield, biggest Bike event on the East Coast.

mtbr member
    Generally, only state parks have access fees,
    thanks
    and then it's mostly the ones that have a beach or some other popular activity that requires staffing. Unless things have changed, October Mountain definitely does not have a fee, and you'll likely not even see anyone else there except maybe other riders.
    Much the same as here - but trail operators seem to spring up in our forested areas, and they maintain the routes, and charge entrance.

It will be light out until almost 9pm in July.
    good to know

I haven't lived in that area in 8 or 9 years, but we used to park at the Acadian shop in Lenox (No access fee) and start in Kennedy and then head up to the good stuff. There appears to be a bunch of new trail on the North side of Reservoir Road that didn't exist when I rode there.

Kennedy Park can also be accessed from parking lots on Aspenwall Road and Dugway road.
    you've been a great help

All three areas trails can be found on the heatmap.
    where can I find the heatmap?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post

thanks

mtbr member
    NEMBAfest @ KT 2015 | NEMBA

just about a 3 hr drive from Pittsfield, biggest Bike event on the East Coast.
    Angela seems intrigued. We may fly in earlier to visit the festival

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Green View Post
    We'll be visiting the Dovydenas family, my brother is marrying into their family.
    If Jonas Dovydenas still has his Falco, get him to take you up for a look around. Nice airplane (old picture). Name:  Jonas4.jpeg
Views: 192
Size:  67.6 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi. I live in the Berkshires. I know the trails real well. I have lead a Sunday am ride for the last 18 years. Try me at [email]email] as time gets nearer. I can show you around and maybe find others to do the same
    Harry
    Last edited by Harryonaspot; 01-17-2015 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Hi Harry

I've saved your contacts, and thanks for the heads up. I recommend taking your email address off the post - you may pick up lots of unwanted junk mail

Thanks
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Your weather is bad - shoo. Hope it clears soon. I've experienced snow on 1 morning my whole life.

mtbr member
    skiing's good though

mtbr member
    bucket list. Must get to do that some time

mtbr member

Had a good ride yesterday, but very unfit. Need to work hard over the next few months. https://www.strava.com/activities/247765462

iPad

mtbr member

Driving up to Maun, Botswana tomorrow. My MTB in the back of the car.

Temperatures in the high 30's low 40's. That's Celsius. Little warmer than usual. Will have to ride and finish by 8am as the sun is unbearable after 9.

Then work.

5S

mtbr member

Last 127 km total climbing 22m. Botswana is flat. No downhills, pedal non-stop.

5S