Vermont 50 MTB Race

Printable View

• 05-25-2014
    jtforester
    Vermont 50 MTB Race
    Anybody out there riden this course? It's on private land so it can't be ridden other than race day each year. I'm considering registering but I would like to know what I'm getting myself into.

How gruelling is it? What kind of gearing is needed? Can I get by with a 1x10 and a 30T ring? What types of bikes are typically ridden for the race?

Any insight is super appreciated.

John

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
  • 05-25-2014
    overmodulated
    I did it with a 29er hardtail. The trail can be a muddy mess, in which you spend at least half the time walking and half riding. I got really sick and tired of having to constantly dismount. If it weren't for the fact that you're continuously disrupted with muddy impasses that trash your shoes beyond hope of cleaning (I had to discard mine), there are fun moments and lots of comradery among riders. People who ride it generally do it year after year. The registration fills up in a few hours.

And yes, it's a lot of work due to the cumulative elevation change ... some 8,000 - 9,000 ft if I recall correctly
  • 05-25-2014
    overmodulated
    maybe this thread should be moved to the VT page
  • 05-26-2014
    jtforester
    Yea, my bad. I thought I was posting in the VT thread.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
  • 05-29-2014
    woodyak
    It's definitely a grueling ride but not crazy. The majority of the trails is fireroad and smooth singletrack with some dirt roads and road thrown in to complete the loop. Lots of long climbs that are spaced out pretty well. There is some decent flowy single track towards the middle of the race and even a little technical single track as well. If it's dry everything is rideable. If it's really wet and raining the whole course becomes a muddfest and you end up walking a lot of the course. There are usually 8 aid stations that are very well stocked. If your just looking to survive it almost anyone who rides can do it.
  • 06-02-2014
    adumb
    it is a pretty fun ride. if you haven't done it or already signed up since it is sold out then I would try again next year to sign up.

lots of fireroads and double track jeep roads. I am not very quick but with my lowest gear combo being 26-36 I can ride everything. I usually walk a couple of the steeper climbs in the beginning to save my legs. I would consider the course mild as far as technically. no rock gardens or super root areas. some of the trails when wet get slippery but I didn't experience any deep mud just the top layer being very slick. once you hit the aid station at the top of the hill around mile 36 it seems to be mostly downhill and ton more singletrack. l
  • 06-02-2014
    Rontele
    I am signed up for my first time this year and looking forward to it.