Vacation in Mass/Maine Wompatuck ?'s- Mtbr.com
    Snap Crackle Pop

Vacation in Mass/Maine Wompatuck ?'s

Hey all, the wife and I are traveling to the Boston area towards the end of July. I will be pulling my pop-up camper and I am considering staying at Wompatuck State park on the recommendation of a friend that is from the area. He doesn't bike, I just wanted to know if anybody has any thoughts on the park and bike trails in the area. We just started MTBing about 6 weeks ago so I am not looking for any expert trails or anything like that. I would like some nice smooth flowy singletrack for her especially. I see that the state park has mtb trails listed, any thoughts? We are probably going to be in the area for about 3 days, then heading up to Dexter Maine.Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by NismoGriff; 05-06-2012 at 09:18 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Wompatuck is awesome, it has it all: chunky rock gardens, smooth singletrack, stunts, placid fire roads. Moreover, it's a really beautiful park, and very close to the coast if you want to head out there. There are also some good easy mountain bike trails in the Whitney-Thayer woods which abut Wompy.

Snap Crackle Pop
    Quote Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    Wompatuck is awesome, it has it all: chunky rock gardens, smooth singletrack, stunts, placid fire roads. Moreover, it's a really beautiful park, and very close to the coast if you want to head out there. There are also some good easy mountain bike trails in the Whitney-Thayer woods which abut Wompy.
    Thanks for the reply biggrumble. I poked around a bit after I made the post and found a little bit about the trails but it made me think that there wouldn't be anything easy for the better half to ride. I think I am just going to make the reservations to stay there and hope both of our skills have improved enough by that time to enjoy the trails there. Any thoughts on the campground facilities there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My wife rarely rides, but when we do go together, we usually hit wompy. There really are trails for all levels. It's an old navy base and most trails connect to roads for easy bail outs. I'll take my little guys up there just to ride the paved roads and trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah Wompy is awesome. I ride there at least a few days a week. As said, its got a mix of everything in terms of riding. Its a big park that is well signed and easy to navigate. Plus its rather flat so there really isn't any long climbs. Just good old technical New England single track.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    I would say find someone to take you on those trails though. It's really easy to make one wrong turn, find some glorious rock gardens which your significant other will be walking while she's cursing at you loudly... I went there last year with very little knowledge of the area and a significant other that was pretty new to riding and there were fights...

Snap Crackle Pop
    I see there are trail maps available on the state park website, but does anybody know if there is a local mtb organization that may have a "better map".

mtbr member
    https://www.friendsofwompatuck.org/Wompy_Map_2011.png

NEMBA has many members active in the Friends of Wompy. Pretty sure this is the best map you'll find.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Snap Crackle Pop
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv View Post
    https://www.friendsofwompatuck.org/Wompy_Map_2011.png

NEMBA has many members active in the Friends of Wompy. Pretty sure this is the best map you'll find.
    Thanks for that. I am pretty sure that's about the same as what's posted on the state park site HOWEVER.... I may be able to contact somebody from that site and see if they can recommend a certain area of the trails. Thanks for that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
    Thanks for that. I am pretty sure that's about the same as what's posted on the state park site HOWEVER.... I may be able to contact somebody from that site and see if they can recommend a certain area of the trails. Thanks for that
    I ride there a lot, and I'm hard hard-pressed to single out any area that's easier than the other. Most trails have some degree of boneyness or rootyness, usually both. But there's lots of paved roads to use as bailouts.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

Members who have read this thread: 0