Underrated trails- Mtbr.com
    GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Underrated trails

I'm bored with the usual trails I ride (Foxboro and Borderland) and have been trying new places.

Adam's Farm in Walpole and Ribbon Candy out near Blackstone get very little fanfare but are great places to ride. Good singletrack, pretty dry and not too many folks.

I'm sure there are other places that are underrated...

mtbr member
    When the North Shore was still buried under snow, I drove down to Plymouth and rode Pine Hills. I thought that was a great trail. I've not heard much about it either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm
    When the North Shore was still buried under snow, I drove down to Plymouth and rode Pine Hills. I thought that was a great trail. I've not heard much about it either.
    we like to keep it that way!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Doro
    we like to keep it that way!
    So, why is this? Not trying at all to be spiteful or start a flame war, but why does the prevailing attitude here seem to be "Gee, this is a great trail, I'm going to keep it to myself."

It seems to me that there are a certain number of mountain bikers out there on the trails at any given time, if the destinations were mixed up more it wouldn't be any more wear and tear on the trails.

Just feeling philosophical on a Monday.

Not pretty, not lazy.
    Dec 2005
    This keep the trail private crap will never stop. Last week on a ride I stopped to talk to some other riders and was told I was not welcomed on "their" trail. I got pissed off because I helped build that trail 20yrs. ago and still help clear it every spring. The response I got was the personal IQ level salute as they rode off. I share and always will.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet Glock
    Last week on a ride I stopped to talk to some other riders and was told I was not welcomed on "their" trail.
    SAY WHAT?! I wish somebody would have the nerve to tell me that. Post that trail up here for all to see!

Not pretty, not lazy.
    Dec 2005
    The trail is part of the system that connects the Willard Brook and Pearl Brook state parks in Townsend and Ashby MA. Most of the trails are now on land the state bought a few yrs ago ( the old CCC camp and parts of rattlesnake hill) so it is open to all. Due to a injury I have not been on my bike as much as I like but on foot I keep finding new trails out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    pine hills is no huge secret and I have no issue with word of mouth. Word over internet
    is a different story!

Not pretty, not lazy.
    Dec 2005
    Sorry if your special place has been spoken of but as riders we need to stick together and share. We have bigger problems than too many people on a trail. Trails vanish every year due to land development or posting. On a ride last year we thought of over 40 trails that have dissappeared in the 26 years I have been riding. If it wasn't for the internet I would not have found out about Beaver Brook in Hollis, NH or Bearbrook or Greatbrook Etc. I won't ever stop telling about the trails I ride, and where do I ride on a regular basis? Willard brook/Pearlbrook Townsend, MA, Trails off of the Greenville NH rail trail, Casalis State forest Peterborough, NH. Fox State forest Hillsborough, NH. Word of mouth? most of you young guys won't even talk to an old fart like me so internet it is. Keep the under rated trails coming so I can find new places to ride.

mtbr member
    Nevermind
    Last edited by woodsguy; 04-25-2011 at 10:12 AM.

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I wondered if the 'keep it secret' idiocy would come of the thread. I'm not surprised.

I wasn't posting the 'where are the secret trails' idea, but I am still interested in trails that don't get much play here even though we all can use the internet and do a simple search here, NEMBA.org or anywhere really for Pine Hills or Adams Farm or wherever.

Mt. Pisgah in Berlin is another place that I really love; I see many riders there yet it is clearly underrated and it rarely gets mentioned. The folks who keep the trails out there love having more traffic, by bike or by foot, which allows them to share what they've got as well as hope for more support from the users. Seems to make sense to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GNR
    I wondered if the 'keep it secret' idiocy would come of the thread. I'm not surprised.
    Well, hopefully its back on track. You mentioned Foxboro, so I assume you live south.

I've ridden several of the trails Woodsguy has in his link. The trails in Uxbridge are excellent. Sutton is fun, though it stays very wet and needs a good long rest after a heavy rain. Franklin State Forest isn't great, all blown out from dirtbikes.

I don't know of many others down that way, maybe someone will chime in.

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What's in Uxbridge...I've driven by several times to head from Walpole to Mt. Pisgah, but haven't ever ridden there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GNR
    What's in Uxbridge...I've driven by several times to head from Walpole to Mt. Pisgah, but haven't ever ridden there.
    Woodsguy has a good overview map of this area if you click on his link. You mentioned Ribbon Candy in your original post... same area.

!snotrocket!
    good topic guy's. one of my favorite riding spots has got to be the most underrated trail system on cape. I don't know why either? I'm talking about weir rd in yarmouth, it's real close to the willow st stuff and can linked into greenough. I won't mention who built these trails but, if you have ridden tot you are familiar with his work. I spent some time last weekend raking out some of the stuff but, it's a big job. I plan on going back this weekend and doing a rake and ride so, if any one is interested in learning some new trails I'd love to show you around. for now it's just me and the turkey's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Underrated trails-sc1.jpg  

Underrated trails-sc2.jpg  

mtbr member
    ++ for the Weir Rd trails in Yarmouth. Not a ton of mileage, but some fun stuff and some tough stuff as well. A couple of "count your dabs" trails - one that is so tough, you can get into double digits pretty easily.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

the test dummy
    vietnam not the free ride stuff the trail stuff out around collage rock, i have never seen any one else out in that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by djb2
    So, why is this? Not trying at all to be spiteful or start a flame war, but why does the prevailing attitude here seem to be "Gee, this is a great trail, I'm going to keep it to myself."

It seems to me that there are a certain number of mountain bikers out there on the trails at any given time, if the destinations were mixed up more it wouldn't be any more wear and tear on the trails.

Just feeling philosophical on a Monday.
    Here's one reason: at Harold Parker, I'll find a newer/less used trail seems to have more dirt on it, and therefore more flow, then the more heavily trafficked trails. As said trail becomes mores popular, its tends to "break in", get wider and with more rocks exposed.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the secrecy thing but... I did come across some "new to me" trails the other day that seemed downright loamy, and I won't be bringing anyone over to them until later in the season

PS A great way to find new trails is to trail run once and awhile. It provides a much different perspective on the trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    vietnam not the free ride stuff the trail stuff out around collage rock, i have never seen any one else out in that area.
    you are right, every time I head out that way no one is ever there...

I have never really seen any one talk about the peppercorn hill trails in milford/upton, They are not anything crazy but are right by my house and no one is ever there besides a few people hiking, The trail does have some cool features and if you live in the area I would suggest taking a ride over there if you want to ride something different that is nearby

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWhiskey13
    you are right, every time I head out that was no one is ever there...

I have never really seen any one talk about the peppercorn hill trails in milford/upton, They are not anything crazy but are right by my house and no one is ever there besides a few people hiking, The trail does have some cool features and if you live in the area I would suggest taking a ride over there if you want to ride something different that is nearby
    hey dude speaking of nam you going to trail day sunday? its 9-1 out by the shelf drop
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    hey dude speaking of nam you going to trail day sunday? its 9-1 out by the shelf drop
    I wish I could, I work Sundays unfortunately

blet drive
    there are lots of places like this one..Underrated trails-167985_10150353463150277_881890276_16530811_1240944_n.jpg
    People just get bent out of shape when they see them posted but. Respect the land that they are on and the people that live near them and its all good..
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet Glock
    Sorry if your special place has been spoken of but as riders we need to stick together and share. We have bigger problems than too many people on a trail. Trails vanish every year due to land development or posting. On a ride last year we thought of over 40 trails that have dissappeared in the 26 years I have been riding. If it wasn't for the internet I would not have found out about Beaver Brook in Hollis, NH or Bearbrook or Greatbrook Etc. I won't ever stop telling about the trails I ride, and where do I ride on a regular basis? Willard brook/Pearlbrook Townsend, MA, Trails off of the Greenville NH rail trail, Casalis State forest Peterborough, NH. Fox State forest Hillsborough, NH. Word of mouth? most of you young guys won't even talk to an old fart like me so internet it is. Keep the under rated trails coming so I can find new places to ride.
    I guess wisdom does not always come with age.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Ravenswood Park - Gloucester, MA

http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to...wood-park.html

I highly recommend Ravenswood if anyone is ever in the Cape Ann (North Shore) area. It's where I first got into mountain biking. One ride here and I was hooked.

It's got fun rock gardens, but it's surprisingly fast riding. Technical, but flowy. Fun climbs and even better descents. Good for both hardtails and full suspension bikes alike. Lots of granite, pine trees, and some roots. The dirt is really nice, not too dry and not too wet. Drains nicely.

I hardly ever see mountain bikers here, but you do see them from time to time. The trails are shared by people hiking as well as people walking their dogs, so just be aware.

I'm always looking for new people to ride with, so PM me if you're in the area.

Here's a map:

http://www.thetrustees.org/assets/do...-Trail-Map.pdf

I recommend the Ledge Hill Trail (you get a nice view of Gloucester Harbor from the high point of the trail)

In terms of the numbered trail markers I go 1 to 3 to 5 to 6 to 10 to 9 to 11 to 12 to 21 to 22 to 23 to 20 to 15 to 2 and finally back to 1.

Hope to see some of you out on the trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0