Tree Cutter In Lynn- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Tree Cutter In Lynn

I've been noticing some small trees & branches being cut in Lynn, most notably on Basalt Gorge DH Run. Someone cut down the small tree right before the descent into the gorge. I'd like to think there is some method to his madness, water drainage, limiting erosion etc, and maybe there is, but the only reason i can see for removing this tree was to make the section easier. I also noticed some sizable pine branches or sapling cut on Cowgirl. They were cut right at the difficult steep off camber rock climb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I noticed, to my dismay, the same tree cutting. Granted, there are some trails that have overgrown enough to need pruning to maintain the existing trail, but the cutting of that tree on the ridge altered the original line by widening it to avoid the rock spine. That cutting most likely was done to create an easier, more direct, and hence, faster DH line for a biker. Neither can I see a reason that it was done for trail maintenance since trees left in place help prevent erosion.

I've also seen a number of rocks moved and used as helper rocks against some legitimate obstacles. The lower entrance of LBR on Ox pasture road had a few rocks put in to help transition onto the large boulder at the stream crossing. With good technique, this feature is entirely ridable and a great challenge. I can see how it'd be an impossibility for a number of bikers, but with practice it's doable for some. Personally, I don't appreciate seeing even small alterations like that. Let's leave Lynn Woods alone in that respect and appreciate the level of challenge it offers.

I could also go on about the graffiti that's creeping into the north side from the power lines that's marring the natural beauty of the rocks, but that's a separate issue.

I hope all the people who enjoy LW--particularly the bikers--can help prevent these changes that if were ever left to persist, would all add up and significantly change LW--for the worse.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I also have come across the tree cutting. Leave Lynn Woods, Lynn Woods. Leave the natural, and don't piss off the ranger or Friends of Lynn Woods and give them an excuse to hate on us bikers, or worse...
    Where exactly on "Cowgirl" were tree's cut? That's one of our favorite trails, hate to see it changed even a little...
    The graffiti is expanding to my dismay... Not sure how to stop that...
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    As a former lynn rider and life time lover, this is wicked disappointing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsandtears View Post
    I also have come across the tree cutting. Leave Lynn Woods, Lynn Woods. Leave the natural, and don't piss off the ranger or Friends of Lynn Woods and give them an excuse to hate on us bikers, or worse...
    Where exactly on "Cowgirl" were tree's cut? That's one of our favorite trails, hate to see it changed even a little...
    The graffiti is expanding to my dismay... Not sure how to stop that...
    The other tree I see cut is near the bottom of the big spine rock roll on Cowgirl. At the bottom of the roll, go to the left to the beginning of the elevated rock traverse. Cutting there opens a B-line to the left of the rocks. Before, it was a mandatory tough line, now there's an easy way. Looks like they threw the cut down tree onto the opposite side of the rock traverse.

Another alternate line was created at the start of Sharks tooth, heading west after the Kracken brings one out to the 4 way intersection. Who is doing this stuff?!?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    As a former lynn rider and life time lover, this is wicked disappointing.
    Spoken like a true New Englander

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    On a positive note, i have also noticed many sections of trail where riders have put logs and brush to block access to prevent trail erosion like on the DH section of Pow Wow Down, so there is some good stewardship going on as well

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    Spoken like a true New Englander
    Hoping to come back to visit and ride it again some day...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sigh.... On a better note, Lynn is still amazing, and on the whole, self policed by us the bikers. With that, this cutting is just unforgivable... Keep your eyes open, spread the word that this is unacceptable. I do know of a couple guys who ride with pocket saws, but I would never, ever expect them of doing this type of cutting, their riding doesn't need a b-line, trust me...
    Lets keep LW raw and natural, not this pansied ass rerouting...
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Noticed more graffiti under the power lines atop broom hill this past week... Those apartments they built a few years ago didn't help the adjacent woods at all...
    Can you say, Riff, Raff...
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    WTF... I finally saw the limb cutting on Silence, aka: Cowgirl. That is obscene, no reason for it. It doesn't even create a different line, just a wider path... They must have cut 30 plus limbs off the side of that tree, some we were looking at were 4 inches in diameter. Absolute asshats...
    JRA cycles

Who are the brain police?
    WTF... I finally saw the limb cutting on Silence, aka: Cowgirl. That is obscene, no reason for it. It doesn't even create a different line, just a wider path... They must have cut 30 plus limbs off the side of that tree, some we were looking at were 4 inches in diameter. Absolute asshats...
    Last week I was at lookout rock and some kids cut down tons of limbs and had them leaning against the sole srub pine in the center. They cut many of that trees branches too. These kids need a serious dope slap .
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This is the other cut tree on Cowgirl/Silence trail. It ruined the line by making the trail wide open. Before it was cut, the rider was forced to get up on the spine of rock on the left side and negotiate a turn to the right to keep trail. Now the direction is entirely taken away. Big loss!!!!!

This cut is a separate one from the cut tree I described near the rock traverse in my post a few boxes up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Need to place limbs, rocks and whatever to try and replicate that line. My next time through I will grab some of the limbs,rocks and place around where the limbs used to be...

Locoman, did you actually see kids cutting the Miyagi tree at Acapulco?
    JRA cycles

Who are the brain police?
    Need to place limbs, rocks and whatever to try and replicate that line. My next time through I will grab some of the limbs,rocks and place around where the limbs used to be...

Locoman, did you actually see kids cutting the Miyagi tree at Acapulco?
    No, just the aftermath. I'm honestly glad I didn't, feel like I would have lost it if I had. I spent time that night cleaning their mess up, dispersing fresh cut limbs and logs and taking away some trash. Took away a bunch of marine flare casings too. They didn't leave beer cans or anything besides some trash so my guess is that they were young.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us