Trails on the way up to Highland from Boston- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trails on the way up to Highland from Boston

Me and the buds will be heading up north on Thursday towards Highland and we want to ride somewhere on the way. Last year we did HP and we may end up doing that again. What there options are there? Lowell/Dracut and Bear Brook stick out. Is there anything else worth looking at?

mtbr member
    Franklin Falls is super nice... Actually, a lot of the CNH Nemba stuff is sweet. I'd recommend checking their website out- CNH NEMBA

mtbr member
    FOMBA is super fun. Highly recommended. Some trails are techy, some smooth and flowy.

mtbr member
    How big is FOMBA and Franklin Falls? How long of a ride can we expect to get?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There should be enough trails at Fomba to take up an entire afternoon of riding (4+ hours). Definitely download the trail map from their site so you can plan out your route, the place is very well marked.

edit: there is also an XC trail loop at Highland if you get there on Thursday and plan to camp out.
    '08 Stumpy
    '10 Enduro
    '11 Transition TR250

StartBiking!
    Jun 2006
    Already mentioned but well worth a look:
    FOMBA : Startbiking : FOMBA
    Lowell-Dracut : Startbiking : Lowell-Dracut-Tyngsboro State Forest

Other suggestions:
    Willowdale : Startbiking : Willowdale State Forest
    Yudicky : Startbiking : Yudicky Park

I'd do Yudicky. There is some great stunts setup on the south side of the park. Would get you ready for Highland for sure.
    -jk
    startbiking - get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Here's a gps track of most of FOMBA. It's a few years old so the trails might have changed a little.

FOMBA by woodsguy at Garmin Connect - Details

Here's a video. Not the best video but it was taken in the days before GoPro. I just mounted my P&S.

mtbr member
    Yak knowing the area you usually ride, NS it's my stomping ground too. I'd highly recommend Exeter/ Fort rock or the Concord Hospital trails over FOMBA, personally I'm not a big fan and can't imagine getting 4 hrs riding there, Franklin Falls never been can't comment. Both places would be best ridden with a local tour guide, especially Concord.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    How big is FOMBA and Franklin Falls? How long of a ride can we expect to get?
    If you do every singletrack at Fomba, it's 15 miles, of which maybe a mile or 2 is fireroad. It's definitely not highland-type riding though. Think intestinal style singletrack. Some is fairly buff, while others are miles of babyheads and roots. None of it is particularly fast due to the fact that the trails turn on themselves so much to get the most distance out of the land area. I do agree that it is a fun change of pace spot once in a while though.

Franklin Falls feels bigger, but I haven't ridden everything in a single day so I can't really say.

Everyone raves about the Concord trails... I just must not be getting to the honeypot of good stuff. I've ridden there a couple times, and aside from a few decent singletrack runs, I wouldn't consider it overly technical or earth shattering-ly good. I'd love a tour if anyone wants to show me the goods.

mtbr member
    If your headed right up 93 our trails in Hampstead are about 6 miles off exit 3 see the hampstead 2012 thread in Vermont NH Maine subforum. Depending on the time i can give a tour. We can ride as long as you want, and trails range from smooth flow to pretty darn tech
    Last edited by PitchCrew; 06-13-2012 at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member
    in order of distance from the border or

if traveling route3
    LDTF --fun 10 mile loop
    yudicky -- fun 8 mile loop (more of an after work ride)

if traveling 93
    HP lots of stuff super tech
    Hampstead (never been)
    musquash (about 6-7 miles if doin a loop pretty tech in some spots more of afterwork again)

if traveling 95 to 101
    willowdale -- very buff fast singletrack pure XC easy to get turned around but can do 15 miles easily
    marshabesic (never been)
    Stratham hill (never been)
    Fort rock -- killer 15 mile loop if you ride it the right way it has everything, jumps, drops, fast smooth awesome... lots of cool features
    massabesic (fun to race if your into dizzying poorly maintained singletrack)
    Bear brook ( you know)
    concord -lot of cool things out there, from scenery to trails etc.. easy to get lost..
    the best thing about concord is going to bolocoa after for a burrito... haha
    Franklin falls-- closest trail system to kingdom type trails. Super buff, some tech can do a good 8-10 mile ride but you will ride mighty chicken atleast 3-4 times, probably one of the funnest 1/2 miles around...CNH nemba has done an awesome job.

Those are all the public places to ride I can think of. I would do franklin falls, it's fully mapped, 15 minutes from highland and fun.
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

I'd Huck That....
    Lynn Woods
    HP
    Lowell Dracut
    Fort Rock

Members who have read this thread: 0