Trails suggestions around the Cape- Mtbr.com
    IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004

Trails suggestions around the Cape

Hi!

Coming down next week for a few days of riding. Been in Mass before... will be based in Sandwich and looking for places to ride...

I've been to Trail of Tears a couple times and might not go back this time around. Definately spending a day at Otis...

Thinking of Harold Parker on the way back...

So basically looking for something on the way in... Bachelor St comes to mind. I've been there before and loved it...

We'd like to ride something new (to us) that would be close to our campsite...

So far:

Day1: Bachelor ST (or something else)
    Day2: Otis
    Day3: _____________________
    Day4: Harold Parker (or something else)

We like techy and flowy trails. Looking to ride a couple of hours each days with distances between 10-20miles depending on terrain (20mi at ToT is easy!)

So, what's your recommandations?
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

mtbr member
    Nickerson S.P. is pretty fun to ride. Not as technical as Otis but you can get some good miles in and it's more "tranquil" than Otis as the trails go around a couple of lakes. It's pretty far down on the cape. Probably about 30 minutes past Otis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nickerson is great--but finding the trails is a little tough without a guide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Heartbreakers in Sandwich plus ToT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jab1362
    Heartbreakers in Sandwich plus ToT.
    Joe,
    You'll tell him where to ride, but won't tell me where the striped bass are?
    What kind of friend are you.
    signed
    Tallboy

P.S. How about Willow Street
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Willow St would be a great place to ride too.
    Larry all the stripers are in the ocean, how's that for a tip.

mtbr member
    Larry all the stripers are in the ocean, how's that for a tip.
    Atlantic or Pacific?
    Don't worry. I'll get you back when the Tallboy comes in.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ha ha, they are right down the street from your place.
    You better have Brian put helium in the tires cause we be going to do some serious climbing when you get the Tallboy.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Yeah... just saw a whole bunch of "Willow ST".... how about a bit more info? Like... a trailhead? Parking info?

PS: I don't fish...

FartFigNewton
    Hit Wompatuck State Park in Hingham (it's just a few miles off route 3 on the way to the cape). You could easily get 10-20 miles of technical single track in a few hours.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    bachelor st. is on the other side of the state. Cape spots have been mentioned above. If your looking to drive an hours so you have lynn woods to the north of boston which is south of harold parker, fells, and also the whole green belt on the north shore. And ofcourse there is always HMBP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJay
    Yeah... just saw a whole bunch of "Willow ST".... how about a bit more info? Like... a trailhead? Parking info?

PS: I don't fish...
    http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/m...uth_review.htm

I would park on Mary Dunn Rd at the Greek Church or playground next door. Ride across the street and to the left a short distance until you see the singletrack on the right. Once on the trail ride counterclockwise. Lots of stuff in there.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Doro
    bachelor st. is on the other side of the state. Cape spots have been mentioned above. If your looking to drive an hours so you have lynn woods to the north of boston which is south of harold parker, fells, and also the whole green belt on the north shore. And ofcourse there is always HMBP.
    Bachelor is only an option on the way in... coming down 91... it's not a big detour... and we'll avoid the trafic around Boston and get on 495 to head to sandwich.

Makes sens?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...93,7.13562&z=8

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Salut Eric,

Donne moi un coup de fil , j"etais la il y a 2 semaines
    Wilowdale is a MUST DO

Dan

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan001
    Salut Eric,

Donne moi un coup de fil , j"etais la il y a 2 semaines
    Wilowdale is a MUST DO

Dan

Will do.

Point me in the direction of Wilowdale please!

mtbr member
    If ToT is too easy Sandwich will do the trick. Good 15 miles of big hills, soft soil and rolling 1x track. Similar terrain (with bigger hills) to ToT so if your looking for drops & rocks you wont find any. Go to Otis for that....Or just ride ToT for 20miles @ 10mph average & that will give you a good workout!!!!

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by newking
    If ToT is too easy Sandwich will do the trick. Good 15 miles of big hills, soft soil and rolling 1x track. Similar terrain (with bigger hills) to ToT so if your looking for drops & rocks you wont find any. Go to Otis for that....Or just ride ToT for 20miles @ 10mph average & that will give you a good workout!!!!
    Alright... so where are the trails in Sandwich? I've looked quickly for any references to heartbreaker... but can't find it!

mtbr member
    Alright... so where are the trails in Sandwich? I've looked quickly for any references to heartbreaker... but can't find it!
    You need CIA clearance
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member

Cross "GREAT HILL"

Bordering the western section of ToT is great hill road. The powerlines go across Great Hill Road and on the other side is the Sandwich trails. Other spots to park are the access lot for Maple Swamp off the service road or the water tower lot near the end of Crooked Cartway in Sandwich. Not too much criss crossing of trails in Sandwich but if you don't know the territory you can end up a long way from home.

There's a map on the Sandwich MA website but I don't think it shows marked trails, jeep roads or fire road. I rode it yesterday and it's in great shape. Lot's of MX traffic in there so it's pretty soft.

banned
    Sep 2008

willowdale tour

Will do.

Point me in the direction of Wilowdale please!
    i'd be happy to give you a good willowdale/bradley palmer tour, bj. i've only ridden dirt twice thus far since november or something, so willowdale is a nice place for a "settle in" cruise.

nice to see the sandwich stuff being called, "heartbreakers", but what happened to, "roger's heartbreakers"? WTF?

lemeno bigjay

rog

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the info everyone!

We ended up riding Harold Parker, ToT, Willow ST, Pine Hills and Vietnam.

Pine Hills was a lot of fun for the whole group! Big shout out to Serious Cycles! They were great in helping us plan our ride... gave us a map as well... Only bad thing were the ticks! I was getting them all over my feet and socks the whole ride... good thing they were only the big ones... I was happy to wear my long IMBA wooly socks!

Harold Parker was a blast! Got to go back... love the technical trails... didn't hit everything but did most of the NEMBA loop from their website.

Willow ST wasn't what we were looking for... Got in there and rode for 30min and got out. I'm sure we missed out... but ended up riding ToT and Otis Atwood instead.

Did a quick hit on Vietnam. Always fun and challenging... especially on the first couple rides after winter hibernation!

Anyhow: Loved our time out there!
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great trip, BigJay. I don't think Otis and Otis Atwood are the same, though. Otis Atwood is part of the W. Barnstable Conservation area. The Otis trails usually refer to the trails in Falmouth bordering Otis AFB, accessed from Rt 151. Either or, very cool riding for you.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn Wright View Post
    Sounds like a great trip, BigJay. I don't think Otis and Otis Atwood are the same, though. Otis Atwood is part of the W. Barnstable Conservation area. The Otis trails usually refer to the trails in Falmouth bordering Otis AFB, accessed from Rt 151. Either or, very cool riding for you.
    Yeah, i know. I've been to both before.

mtbr member
    Anything fun close to Wellfleet? I'll be there in late August. I don't need any big epic stunts like Lynn or Otis, just something small and fun that isn't a municipal gravel path. A few little stunts would be nice but I'll take what I can get on the outer Cape.

I know Trail O' Tears is in Barnstable and would be pretty kid-friendly - a possible consideration. Anything else worthwhile closer to Wellfleet?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Fuzz541; 07-05-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Just a flesh wound
    Nickerson isn't far.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    The Gauntlet in Wellfleet used to be okay. I haven't been there in a while
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Nickerson is the kind of range I'm thinking of - super close. Some of the videos make it look fun for a quick ride.
    Last edited by Fuzz541; 07-06-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0