Trails near UMASS Amherst- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Trails near UMASS Amherst

I wild be at UMASS Amherst next week for a conference and want to bring my fat bike with me. I was looking for trails and have found info on Earl's trails. How are the trails there? I will probably only have a couple of hours in the evening to sneak out and ride. Is it worth it to bring my bike? Are there any other trails near the college that I should be looking to ride.
    Thank you for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Kary,

You'll get a number of responses here that'll tell you the same thing:

1. Yes, Bring your bike, the riding in Southern Amherst is world class.

2.The Two State Forests that Form the Southern Boundary of Amherst (Holyoke Range SF and Skinner SF) house roughly 45 miles of dynamite biker built single track.

3. Earl's is on the west side of 'The Notch' (where rte 116 splits the two forests). It is tight, twisty, 'old school' flowy and hilly excellent singletrack. A two hour pump on these trails is a work outt. It's pretty popular these days, so keep posting up and look for a local crew to ride with.

4. Batchelor Street is the East side of the Notch (mostly the South East side), that starts from the Batchelor Street Parking lot in Granby, MA (just the other side of the hill…google it). Also very popular. It can be flowy as well, but it is decidedly more technical than Earl's, being pretty rocky (though, it is exceedingly well-designed and maintained). You won't find another place like this one anywhere.

5. Both can be easily ridden together or separately.

6. They are the closest and best riding to UMASS, though the whole Pioneer Valley is chock-full of wonderful single track.

7. Post up here again l;poking for ride guides, partners. Also check out Valley Bike Werks in Hadley for possible shop rides (or the guys at Laughing Dog Cycles in Amherst). Also check out the PV NEMBA Facebook page, post up there and you'll find someone willing to show you around.

8. Honestly, I'd come to Amherst for the biking over the higher educational opportunities.

9. Oh, if all you have is a Fat bike-I guess that's what you'll bring….BUT if you have other bikes, you might consider bringing those instead.

mtbr member
    Best riding in the northeast is within one hour of Amherst. You could ride all day for 10 days, each better than the last within 35 miles of the UMass campus center. Would make one hell of an epic...
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Disagree. Best riding in MA is Bachelor Street. Fat bikes are a ton of fun in there also if that's all you have.

Kingdom Trails is the best riding in the Northeast and a nice 3.5 hour road trip up to VT.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Kingdom Trails isn't even the best riding in northern VT

But, I think the OP is busy at UMASS and needs the best closest thing…fortunately, the best closest thing is pretty friggin' awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thank you all for the responses.
    I am bringing my Fat Bike because I blew the rear shock on my full suspension bike and haven't had a chance to fix it yet. Except for being a little slower, I have been having a blast riding the fatbike on the trails.
    Have to stay near Amherst since I am there on business and can't disappear for long periods of time. I will check out some of your trails.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    If you don't have time for Bachelor St or Earls, you could hit Amethyst Brook which is closer to town - but only if youre strapped for time. Skip the pizza from Antonio's - overrated unless its 2 am and you're hammered.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Skip the pizza from Antonio's - overrated unless its 2 am and you're hammered.
    HA! That is funny and so F'ing true.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Riding Today

Got to ride part of Earl's Trails today. Parked at Amherst college and ended up doing a loop that took me about an hour. The trails were beautiful. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to ride them with the rain the last couple of days but they were in good condition. Wish I had more time to explore a little more. I will also say the fat bike was fine for these trails. Had an hour of fun and worked up a good sweat. here is a picture of my bike by the reservoir.
    Trails near UMASS Amherst-img_20150603_140057_730.jpg

Thank you guys for your help and thatnks to those out there today that helped me get around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Parked at Amherst College or Hampshire College?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I parked at Hampshire College. I made a mistake in the previous post. I used a map from singletracks.com.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm looking forward to hitting Earl's this summer, too - I've heard many good things!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I've only had a chance to ride over on Batchelor St.
    I'll have to make an effort to ride Earl's sometime soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by k2blt View Post
    I've only had a chance to ride over on Batchelor St.
    I'll have to make an effort to ride Earl's sometime soon.
    Hey k2bit,

I think I met you over at the Warefield House Inn on Wednesday, I have the Cannondale Trigger 29er. I don't live too far from Earl's or Batchelor St. so if you need any info let me know. More than happy to help out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by evoke_the_spoke View Post
    Hey k2bit,

I think I met you over at the Warefield House Inn on Wednesday, I have the Cannondale Trigger 29er. I don't live too far from Earl's or Batchelor St. so if you need any info let me know. More than happy to help out.
    Hey Evoke!
    That was me. Thanks for the offer... maybe I'll have you show me around the Earls section sometime. I'm up in NH through next week, so possibly when I get back?