Trails near Chatham- Mtbr.com
    jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Trails near Chatham

Hi all,

We will be in Chatham in a little over a week and I'm looking for input on trails in the area, preferably within riding distance (5-10 mile radius). Might drive to Yarmouth area to check things out but really looking to ride to the trails.
    Have read a bit about Nickerson and wondering what else can be linked together.
    Thanks,

Joel

mtbr member
    You can take the Cape Cod Rail Trail from Chatham to Nickerson. I just did it from Dennis to Nickerson. Pleasant ride through bogs and kettle ponds. I only stayed in Nickerson for a half hour due to dusk approaching.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks. Looks to be around ten miles by car, maybe less by bike?

mtbr member

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the rail trail link!
    Any specific places to look for Harwich trail info?

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the info. I've been doing some research as well. Looks like Hawks Nest SP may have some too.
    May go to Yarmouth area on one of the days also.

Is most of the stuff rideable on a ss cross bike with 40s or should I bring the mtb?

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks. If I take the ss cross I will gear down from 42x17. Would love to find a network of trails I could link together to get from one place to another maybe as far out as Wellfleet.

Seems like there are a lot of user made or 'social' trails all through the area.
    Excited to be able to do some exploring.

Just a flesh wound
    Wellfleet has tons of trails. I was there a year ago and had a blast. Segment Explorer on Strava shows a lot. Then zoom in on someone's ride. All sorts of loops. Lots of hills with quick hard climbs. Hard packed, sandy, single track trails through miles of Scrub Oak and Scrub Pine forest. Payne's Campground was right up to the trails. Really quite a network in there. You can loop 20 miles, no problem.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Great, thanks. Sounds like if I see a trail I should explore it unless marked otherwise.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looks like there may be a ~20 mile loop at the gauntlet from what I have found.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'll use some sort of bug spray for ticks as I don't want to get Lyme!
    Looks like there may be a trail entrance not far from the end of the rail trail, near Paine's Campground and at/near the South Wellfleet General Store. I'll look at satellite maps as well. I would like to check out the Gauntlet and whatever else I can find in the area.

Just a flesh wound
    Payne's is next to some of the entrances to the trails. Ticks hate bug spray (Deep Woods Off is the most effective) and a shower post ride will get rid of any. If you find a tick on you, you are not infected. You get the Lyme bacteria in your blood when the tick is full (24 hours generally) and it tries to release itself from your skin. It basically spits up some acidic goo in it's gut to soften the skin for ease of extraction and in this goo is the Lyme Disease carrying bacteria. So if you find a tick and remove it, you are good.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the trailhead tip as well as the tick info.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So far I've found a ton of stuff. This morning I rode the paved bike path from Chatham to the CCRT (lots of trails going off the paved path between Chatham and Harwich). Rode CCRT north, took Crowells Bog Rd to 137 to Freemans and hopped on trail south of Nickerson. Took the trails along 6 all the way back to the CCRT and home.
    Amazed at the network of trails here and I've only scratched the surface.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdg View Post
    So far I've found a ton of stuff. This morning I rode the paved bike path from Chatham to the CCRT (lots of trails going off the paved path between Chatham and Harwich). Rode CCRT north, took Crowells Bog Rd to 137 to Freemans and hopped on trail south of Nickerson. Took the trails along 6 all the way back to the CCRT and home.
    Amazed at the network of trails here and I've only scratched the surface.
    Sounds like you are discovering CC. Nice loop. Do you track you rides and care to share?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Unfortunately I'm not on strava (soon) but I used the heat map along with google maps as a guide.
    I'm on a ss cross bike with 45s and had no issues on the moto trail sections along 6 but did have to run/hike up a few short sections.
    You can also access the trails along 6 where the CCRT crosses 6 (which is where I got back on the CCRT).
    Although I didn't go there it looked like the access trail into Nickerson on the north side of Freeman's Way is alongside a paved driveway--just across where the trail entered on the south side of the road.

mtbr member
    For exploring, I prefer RIdewithGPS (RWGPS). It has OSMcycle and all the trails are shown as you ate tracking.
    Here's mine with some of the Rt6 trails you did.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/10842602

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for posting the map! This morning we took the Old Colony paved trail west from Chatham and took trails north into town forest between Morton and Depot roads. Came out on Mill Hill rd to 137 where a local guy in a pickup stopped and told us about a trail almost across the road into Chatham conservation land to Goose pond. Made our way back out a different way to Stagecoach Dr., across 137, down Morton and into the woods past some nicely built bmx jumps. Made our way back to the paved path via trails.
    There are trails all over off the Old Colony trail and everywhere else it seems.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It was a great trip and we only touched the trails. Didn't go into Nickerson proper or anything near Yarmouth.

Not near Chatham but we did go to the Gauntlet area trails which are really fun. My girlfriend and I parked at the lot at the end of the CCRT and took the old rail bed dirt road which is almost directly across from the lot (slightly left) entrance on Lecount Hollow Rd. From there we took a trail to the right across the power lines and into the woods and explored to the north, eventually coming out on Cahoon Hollow Rd. Trails were a little brushy in spots but not bad at all and similar to trails we'd find back in Va in the GWNF.
    There is a lot more to explore in that area which could keep you busy for a while. One of the fire roads between Ocean View Drive and the Atlantic led to a beautiful overlook far above the beach.

I rode a single speed cross bike with 45s which worked great although there were a few really loose sandy spots I had to get off for.

The Strava heatmap was a big help in navigating as well for the areas we rode.