Trail of Tears Sabotage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Trail of Tears Sabotage

For at least a month, someone, singular or plural, has been littering the trails with, sticks, branches, logs, parts of trees, rose brambles ...and yes fresh human excrement with TP included.... almost daily. Obstacles every couple hundred feet, some in steep downhill Cape Chunk. Big weekend coming up....is this like the alligator in Lake Placid.

mtbr member
    [email protected] Trail cam's are the key to catching him
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    This has been a hot topic among local riders. We have placed a few trail cams with the hope of catching this person. One local rider and former town employee has a feeling it's a guy who has done this before but is now retired and has more time on his hands. He supposedly walks his dog daily from the Crooked Cartway lot. He had gotten more brazen and aggressive so we're worried this could escalate if he is not caught. If you see someone out there report it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    WTF is with dirty old hippies pooping on trails?
    We had one of those bastards in our neck of the woods at one point too.
    smh
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I'd love to read one of these threads that actually concludes with the person getting caught, and the aftermath.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Why isn't that TURD in the Forensics Lab????

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Seriously, If any one was throwing S..t on a publicly travelled by-way, including 6, the mid coast highway, and possibly causing injury, they would be in big trouble...experiencedgame hunters could nab this person in a day...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Indications are that the perp has been doing this for at least 5 years; known and talked to before ; still has a thing about bikers. Look at Cape Cod Nemba face book page to see how serious trail sabotage can be.

CP
    Had a similar issue (the sticks on the trail, not the poo) locally. After about a year, we managed to figure out who the perp was, and had the land manager (DCR) write a letter to cease & desist. It worked. If you can confirm whom this is, maybe the concom (if this is town owned land) may be able to help.

mtbr member
    I HATE the Cape Cod Trail Pooper!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This is some funny shit!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think the perp, who is supposedly known, has a retriever dog who is diving into the thorny trailside brush to get the sticks, logs, whatever , and of course is covered with ticks; as to the S**t I'm not sure whose it was, man or beast, and who carried the TP !!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Rode the Trail of Tears today and saw a bunch of sticks laid across various parts of the North Ridge trail. No poop, though.

Most of the sticks were laid perfectly perpendicular to the trail which made them easy to roll right over, so the sabotage didn't really work on me for the most part. But some of them were strategically placed in piles around blind corners and a couple of times they made me check my speed or do a double-take. I could see somebody getting really hurt if their front wheel slid on one of these or something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah, it still continues; not sure why when the perp is known. Rode Saturday with friends from NH and the loop we did was mostly clear except for some leftover sticks that were not removed but run over by previous riders. But Sunday I rode different trails and there were new 2-4" sticks and logs on some of the trails, including one chunky 6' section of a multi-branched broken pine wedged against a trailside tree...no way around and had to dismount and remove it. Back at the parking lot I talked to a Cape Cod Nemba member who had encountered numerous sticks and branches on trails North of the power line toward the shooting range, many of them wedged semi upright across the trail. He also said the perp is known and he had talked to him out on the trails several years ago! So why is this still happening? It is Town of Barnstable Conservation Land and many bikers are being put at risk; just guessing that easily 100+ people ride these trails every week, many coming here from other states. Have the Land Managers and Nemba discussed this and or talked to the appropriate enforcement agencies? Maybe they have and I just do not know. If this continues and someone gets hurt as a result I would think there are good grounds for a lawsuit, against the perp, the Town and maybe Nemba. Who knows, people love to sue these days. One action might help a bit until they stop the perp: riders, stop and pick up the stick, branch, whatever, and throw it deep into the gnarly brush that lines most trails. One stick that won't end up back on the trail, unless the perp has his dog trained to fetch.

mtbr member

Trail of Tears Sabotage

He's getting smarter. Today he laid briars only so that you won't see them and cause a flat. Nemba rode last night, so he either goes late or real early.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Pretty discouraging! Rode here yesterday from Farmersville/Race Lane Lot. All clear Big Ring to Charlies Bypass to Car Wash. Decided to go up No Brakes (intermediate) and I do walk the steep rocky sections) to get to a favorite, North Ridge. Well the fun ended as there were sticks, branches, logs across the trail every 100-200ft., some up to 6" in diameter, and some dead trees pushed over to fall across the trail. Spent considerable time removing them and taking pictures, even walking ahead a few hundred feet to scout for the next one. He is now using rotten logs that behave a little differently when you try to roll one...it worked on me, about half way down, on the little uphill before the second steep 8' climb I decide to roll a 3-4" branch...well it was rotten and broke in half when the front wheel hit it, kicking the wheel into the soft duff on the downhill side of the trail, losing control I did a bale and roll , fortunately into brush and leaves, only a few scratches and minor bruises. More logs as I continued on, until , in the rocky section just before the end at the Cartway I saw this ASSHOLES prize, just like pictured on the Cape Nemba facebook page 3 or 4 weeks ago....a nice TURD with a few sheets of TP!!! Not on the trail but 6" to the side. Stopped to take a pic and saw a stick in the mess, guessing the stick had been used to move it off the trail, likely by a previous rider. I was told in the parking lot by a local who rides here 4-5 times a week that CC Nemba had to the"cops" or someone of authority....answer..Bring us evidence.
    Any local riders want to get this Prick? I'm willing to go out early, not necessarily on a bike, and wait for him with cameras in hand, get a few people to stake out his path from his home on the Cartway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You guys seriously haven't put out any game cams yet?

Get on it, FFS. Things are cheap at Dick's or Walmart, etc.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Team
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    You guys seriously haven't put out any game cams yet?

Get on it, FFS. Things are cheap at Dick's or Walmart, etc.
    This X1000!

Put it in your NEMBA budget, catch this guy before someone gets hurt trying to ride the trail!

mtbr member
    Any updates on Stickman and the trail sabotage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    The local chapter is working on this and have an investigation open with the local authorities. As it is ongoing, members are not posting updates as we believe this person has been monitoring social media and some websites. If you encounter the person, take pictures of him and his vehicle (ideally him getting into the vehicle) and private message me or a known NEMBA member and we will get it to the members heading the investigation. I would advise against confronting them as I'm not sure they are stable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Posted today... Cape Cod Nemba , on their facebook page, has a photo of the alleged "Perp"....probably moved back to Florida...

mtbr member

This is the perp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

EAT MORE GRIME
    knew it. some cranky old man curmudgeon. stereotype fits image
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 07-13-2017 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just curious but what kind of trail cameras do people recommend? Also, do they make noise when they take pictures?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Google 'trail camera reviews' to get a general sense of options that are out there.
    As with anything, there's a whole lot of different levels of equipment and tons of specifics that you may or may not feel you need.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Class Clown
    damned hooligan riffraff on their 2 wheeled speedsters!