Trail of Tears- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trail of Tears

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Trail of Tears

Going to probably go to tot by myself for the first time on monday afternoon and I have a pretty good map of it from the NEMBA website. The map has all the markers on it so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some of the must ride stuff. I will probably be parking on race lane.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Trail of Tears ride

Joe:

I just moved to the area and live 2 miles from the Exit 5 trailhead. I've been out exploring several times and could very likely connect with you Monday if you'd like. Email me back.

Mike

mtbr member

it's all good......

I think the map at the trailhead has been updated as well, they have a new marker system.

If you go off the map on the NEMBA site try to hit some of the stuff over by the shooting range NW 4-10, there is also a relatively new area called Danforth that is marked as town land bank property on the map, Otis Atwood is flowy and fast and definately try to hit the trails by Walker Point and North Ridge w30-nw2.

where you are starting from is nice flat and fast for a good 3 mile warm up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Went out there today for a quick ride after work...Depressing how fast it's getting dark. I did about 6mi and was pushing my luck without a light...Looks like the weather later in the week and weekend should be good for a ride or two.

-Gabe

mtbr member
    How are the trail conditions?
    Lots of leaves?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Not a surprise, there are a lot of leaves...Now a lot of wet leaves. The next couple days should dry them out and the weekend should be some good riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    tot is running nice. was out both days this weekend. lots of leaves but makes the cornering that much more fun. Would like to get a weekday group night ride togather if anyone is interested. tuesday nights around 630.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    double post

Nostralpicas
    I believe there is a toys for tots ride there this Sunday,its usually allot of fun,
    All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    going to ride there tommorow. i know this place isn't very technical but is there any cool bridges, drops, or man made obstacles out there i should hit. just going to be generally exploring around and wouldn't mind hitting a couple cool spots along the way. the map from the town of barnstable is really a great one i wish otis had one like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    not much for man made stuff. A few things here and there but just be ready to rip buff single track. There is a one ttf just above field of dreams. Nothing crazy but its there. Also the trail parrallel to field of dreams is a fun time. What time you heading out there?
    I may or may not ride depending on how good the surf is tomorrow. There is toys for tots ride there sunday as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Going to be there at like 10:30 I will be on a giant anthem probably ride for like an hour and a half.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    not a bad place at all... tons of trails for sure and the work that barnstable put into the little parking areas and trail markers is really appreciated. for a person new to those trails it makes it way easier to just ride and have fun, don't need to worry about what left and right i am taking as much as when i first started riding at something like otis that has zero markers... if there weren't leaves everywhere that place would ride wicked fast but i don't trust my front tire in good conditions never mind wet leaves so i had to tip toe my way down some of the hills. i started at p5 and did a loop on the perimeter trails to field of dreams and then realized my tire was losing air so i continued make a large circle all the way back to the p5 lot, when i got back to the lot my tire pressure wouldn't even read on my pressure gauge. i was sliding all over the place. going to head back there tommorow, probably park at p3 and ride popple bottom road into the w area of trails and try to hit that area and the nw area.

on another note how popular is hunting out there. i don't have any orange and have always thought that it might be a good idea to get something to wear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Can you post a link for the Map from town of Barnstable?
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/con...ides/WBARN.PDF

There u go . I will be there tomorrow if u want to get lost with me

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Can someone post the details of the Toys for Tots ride?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjoe53
    Can someone post the details of the Toys for Tots ride?
    I did a quick google search..didn't find anything.. Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    starts around 9. info is on the cape cod nemba facebook page.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    for toys ride/hike this Sunday, 9am, @ t.o.t. meet @ end of crooked
    cartway rd. We'll also be riding in memory of Scott Fenner. Please bring a unwrapped present, and don't forget you can get something for teenagers.

mtbr member
    We rode there two weeks ago from exit 5. I'm not too familiar with the area, but we did come across some cool man-made obstacles.

Here's the route we rode. The area north of Chase Rd is definitely the most hilly and challenging.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Great route!
    How were the trails 'north of chase rd' - aka, 'the sandwich side'? I love those trails, but last time I rode them they were in rough shape due to mx-ers and lots of trail debris -- I don't think they're maintained as well because they're not ridden as much. Were they ok?
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longshanks
    Great route!
    How were the trails 'north of chase rd' - aka, 'the sandwich side'? I love those trails, but last time I rode them they were in rough shape due to mx-ers and lots of trail debris -- I don't think they're maintained as well because they're not ridden as much. Were they ok?
    It was my first time over that side, and yes, there were some sections that had been chewed up by mx's, but they should be ok once the ground freezes up. There were some ATV's out that day, but they seemed to stay on the doubletrack.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member

hilly as hell -

Nice post DirtyJack! I like the way your chart showed the elevation changes of the Sandwich terrain. Most people just refer to it as Sandwich although I know a few people who have coined it Hammock and Hollows because that basically describes the terrain you are riding.

There's some pretty big hills over there that make ToT look really flat. I like the additional fencing that the town put up on Great Hill Road --every little bit helps to keep the motocross guy's out of there.

The only real downfall the place has is that it can get pretty chewed up and be soft and sandy from all the motocross activity.

I rode there today and noticed that the town hired a excavation company to do some brushcutting to prevent fires. They carved out 30' of brush from either side of some of the fireroads and basically destroyed some of the killer sections of singletrack that run parallel to the fire roads.

I was riding along and all of a sudden 90-200' of singletrack is just gone and leveled flat.......

I talked to the guy running the excavation job and the town never said anything to them about the fact that there are walking & riding trails close to the fire roads. Figures. After I told them about the riding trails, they said they will be more cautious?

Any locals who want to help me clean it up? Send me a PM. I'm going to try to do some trail maintainance around the holidays when things are slow for me (weather permitting no 2' of snow on the ground). It should be able to be easily restored with some clippers, some raking and a leaf blower to clear off all the debris.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack
    It was my first time over that side, and yes, there were some sections that had been chewed up by mx's, but they should be ok once the ground freezes up. There were some ATV's out that day, but they seemed to stay on the doubletrack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i'm off all week around the holiday so I could lend a hand. I'm a fan of maple swamp trails and pissed to hear some of its been blown out. Haven't been on that side in about a month or so.

mtbr member

let's clean it up....

Doro - PM Sent (Frank)

Quote Originally Posted by Doro
    i'm off all week around the holiday so I could lend a hand. I'm a fan of maple swamp trails and pissed to hear some of its been blown out. Haven't been on that side in about a month or so.

mtbr member
    FM - I'm off the last week of Dec and would be willing to help as well.
    -FM
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    heading out saturday a.m.. probably hit a mix of north and south side if anyone is around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack
    We rode there two weeks ago from exit 5. I'm not too familiar with the area, but we did come across some cool man-made obstacles.

Here's the route we rode. The area north of Chase Rd is definitely the most hilly and challenging.
    dirtyjack: thanks for sharing your trip. Son and I are planning on riding ToT last week of Dec and will use your trip as our guide on the Droid.

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

Members who have read this thread: 0