trail riding on cape cod???????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

trail riding on cape cod???????

hello all,
    i am headed to the cape this weekend and want to take my mtn bike. usually take my road bike. are there trails worth riding? nickerson? punkhorn?
    i will be staying in brewster. any input greatly appreciated. and, anyone up for a ride? gonna be there from fri early afternoon through sunday. group rides? shop rides?

thanks,
    sean

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Otis Air force Base Is tons o fun!! trail head it as the corne of 28 /151
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    May 2004
    thanks, but not sure i am up for driving out that far, circusjunk. how about trail of tears? worth riding? that is a lot closer to brewster. anyone know of punkhorn?

thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    unfortunately Nickerson's trails are difficult to link together without assistance. I live 25 minutes away and find there's no reason for me to ever learn them because I can go to Trail of Tears or Otis or Yarmouth/Hyannis.

you can also get into Nickerson via Freemans way. theres a park there. the access is along one of the fields down a steep hill.

never bothered to explore Punkhorn.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    thanks dang. plan on checking out trail of tears. hopefully the weather cooperates. it has been a beautiful week up here in vermont. any of the local shops there do group rides on a regular basis? any this weekend?

thanks again.

Dec 2006
    stayed in yarmouth this week and rode trail of tears . first time ever and it is worth looking at .

mtbr member
    May 2004
    looking forward to trying out trail of tears. hopefully the weather will cooperate and we'll have some nice days.
    thanks again

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by got2ryd
    thanks dang. plan on checking out trail of tears. hopefully the weather cooperates. it has been a beautiful week up here in vermont. any of the local shops there do group rides on a regular basis? any this weekend?

thanks again.
    Trail Of Tears: For your schedule try the Race Lane parking lot (brown sign "West Barnstable Conservation") about a 3/4 mile on your right from grass airfield rotary, you would take Exit 5 off Rt6, follow Rt 149 till you hit rotary, take right on Race lane, look for the Brown sign down a slight decline. Show up & be ready before 5:00pm on Friday, there are sure to be some riders heading out. During the weekend there are always riders heading out of that lot...,there is a basic layout map to get your bearings, as well...you may get turned around a few times but never really lost.

Have fun...see you out there!

Nostralpicas

nickerson ride

Orleans cycle does a ride on sunday mornings at 900 am in nickerson state park.They leave from the parking area where the bike rental place is just before the front gate usually around 10 miles great ride great people

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz
    Trail Of Tears: For your schedule try the Race Lane parking lot (brown sign "West Barnstable Conservation") about a 3/4 mile on your right from grass airfield rotary, you would take Exit 5 off Rt6, follow Rt 149 till you hit rotary, take right on Race lane, look for the Brown sign down a slight decline. Show up & be ready before 5:00pm on Friday, there are sure to be some riders heading out. During the weekend there are always riders heading out of that lot...,there is a basic layout map to get your bearings, as well...you may get turned around a few times but never really lost.

Have fun...see you out there!

You just an offer from a local to ride the ToT-that's pure gold-don't pass it up-oh, and be prepared to go really fast-the ToT (and the locals who ride it) are all about speed!

You'll be impressed-place is reallly cool.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    wiz, thanks. did not get to the cape in time to make it friday. i did check out trail of tears on sunday. was very impressed with the trails. really good stuff. a lot more climbing than i would have ever thought. after riding there i thought i would check out otis/attwood trail since its right across the street. fun, fast little loop. did that in each direction.
    next time i am down from vt i will try to make one of the group rides.

cheers and thanks for all the info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i was at tot on sunday - what a gorgeous day!

our group of 8 riders had a blast and didn't see another rider anywhere on the trails. a couple riders were headed out from the lot when we got back.

we also rode otis the day before. there were 2 groups that left at the lot at the same time - one decided to go int he clockwise direction and the other went counterclockwise - both with the same game plan to hit most of the same trails - just right them in opposite directions. we never saw each other but everyone arrived back at the lot within 15 minutes of each other.

there is a lot of great riding out there. a regular group of us will be heading down to the cape all winter as conditions deteriorate and parks close around boston.

give me a shout if you want to meet up with us.

-t

mtbr member
    May 2004
    tim, you were not by chance with a guy from utah on those rides, were ya? and a guy named jared or jerry that lives in mashpee? i rode tot on sunday and met up with guy that was waiting on some fellows that he rode otis with on sat. big group of 10-15 riders, he said. i think his name was jerry or jared. i am bad with names.
    small world, eh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It always amazes me how many riders make the trip to Otis and TOT during the winter when they have snow and crap.

Members who have read this thread: 0