Trail rerouting and taking away technical challenges. Why?!?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Trail rerouting and taking away technical challenges. Why?!?!

For those who may have noticed, the Unabomber trail, or Yellow diamond trail, at Harold Parker has a short smooth reroute that replaced a rocky steep line that was originally a unique challenge. The new reroute is smooth and easy to ride, not holding any of the difficulty of the first line. The original line had been there for many years and was for me and others a great technical obstacle, and, from what I could tell, the original, though beat down, held up to erosion pretty well.

Why was it rerouted?!?!

In fact, there are some OTHER places leading up to this part that have been made easier as well. After riding HP for more than a decade, this is a loss.

If the changes are needed to maintain the trail from erosion--though I did not see much evidence of significant progression of this in years of riding there--why couldn't they be redone in a way that would match the original difficulty? If it was done to make the trail generally easier to ride to cater to more riders, then it becomes a loss for those who really want more of a technical challenge. Easy to ride places around Metro-Boston such as Landlocked and Willowdale are available so keeping the character of HP as intact as possible would be nice. I recognize these are small changes in a large state forest with lots of good trails, but still, I felt it took a bit away from an HP classic.
    Last edited by Rocks = Friends; 12-12-2014 at 05:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Agreed, seen some of this re-routing in Foxboro and Lynn woods. It could only be mtb'ers doing the re-routing b/c hikers are fine as the trail is and horse back riders are practically non-existent. It's one of the many trade offs of unauthorized trail building. Some make the trails better and others worse. Best thing to do is probably bury the 'old man/chicken' line with branches and restore the fun line. Or make a 'B' line parallel/close to the 'A' line instead of a total re-route.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm not familiar with these specific trails but why can't you keep both?

CP
    Quote Originally Posted by smcqui View Post
    Agreed, seen some of this re-routing in Foxboro and Lynn woods. It could only be mtb'ers doing the re-routing b/c hikers are fine as the trail is and horse back riders are practically non-existent. It's one of the many trade offs of unauthorized trail building. Some make the trails better and others worse. Best thing to do is probably bury the 'old man/chicken' line with branches and restore the fun line. Or make a 'B' line parallel/close to the 'A' line instead of a total re-route.
    I ride Foxboro often, so I'm curious, where are you seeing re-routing being done?

Most (actually all) of the re-routes I've witnessed in Foxboro, were the work of Enduro Motorcycle Events...(some were sanctioned by DCR before the event, some were just "ridden in" by motos looking for, and throttle twisting in easier (new) lines on the day of the event)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Reroute in HP was done by mountain bikers. It was reported in the Nemba publication Singletracks.

Don't know about Foxboro.

Reroutes in Lynn Woods appear to be easier lines worn in by riders or hikers cutting corners between existing trails or around obstacles. Not by trail work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It was not an official reroute. Happens everywhere. Some newbie thinks they can improve things. Or it's "too hard". Sanitizing. Sucks. Tell me the original line is still open? We will address it in one of our spring work days, if not sooner.

Delirious Tuck
    "Improve your skills, not the trails." Put the word out... our sport is becoming more popular, certain users don't want to progress, they want it asap, and unless they're riding with more skilled/experienced riders that will call bs stuff like this happens.

I can't stand every rock or log being ramped or granny lines around rock gardens.

There's no shame in walking. We all do it, its part of our sport, and anyone that says they don't walk is full of it.

EDIT: As a card carrying NEMBA member and chapter president, there are instances where something easier than the old line goes in... typically there's a good reason and solid thinking that has all user group needs built into the equation... carry on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks = Friends View Post
    Reroute in HP was done by mountain bikers. It was reported in the Nemba publication Singletracks.
    Regarding the reroute mentioned in Singletracks, the original line was left intacted, so no reason to complain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kgoldswo View Post
    Regarding the reroute mentioned in Singletracks, the original line was left intacted, so no reason to complain.
    Why the reroute then if the original line was left intact? To create a a bailout path, to water down a trail that demands skill?! To alter a decades-old, intact trail to make a wuss line is what this piece of work suggests. Wonder what else is coming next? Like what thefriar says if you some can't ride it, don't water it down for those who can.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    It was not an official reroute. Happens everywhere. Some newbie thinks they can improve things. Or it's "too hard". Sanitizing. Sucks. Tell me the original line is still open? We will address it in one of our spring work days, if not sooner.
    I appreciate the response lee both. It'd be great if you have the influence to address this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks = Friends View Post
    Why the reroute then if the original line was left intact? To create a a bailout path, to water down a trail that demands skill?! To alter a decades-old, intact trail to make a wuss line is what this piece of work suggests. Wonder what else is coming next? Like what thefriar says if you some can't ride it, don't water it down for those who can.
    I'm not familiar with the specific work you're referring too (and I'm not a fan of sally lines in general either), but I'll vouch for kgoldswo when it comes to appreciating tech riding and trail building. And hell, it's not like there's not 9 zillion b-lines at HP already or anything.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    To set the record straight, the work under discussion was done by NSNEMBA volunteers, the very same folks who went through the DCR project approval process and built the trail in the first place. The change was made because the original line was eroded and spread to about 10 feet wide. The new line is much more sustainable and maintainable as singletrack. As noted, the old line remains for those who prefer it. In a place that gets the level of use that HP does, some change is inevitably needed to correct problem spots. There remains no shortage of technical challenges at HP, with many more added each year than removed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sissy braids should be eliminated at all costs. They sanitize the trails and increase the realestate the trails take up in the woods. Keep it narrow,singletrack, and challenging. Walk sections you're not comfortable riding - we all do it. Buy a road bike and ride on the road if trail riding is too challenging for you, don't dummy-down the trails.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Don't vermont massachusetts.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Alright, already

Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Don't vermont massachusetts.

rog
    Don't you ever get tired of you? I do. Give it a rest, dude.

Preacher, Rastaman, Joe's, Hospital Rock, Harrington Heights side of Millstone, lots of Sleepy Hollow, etc., etc.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Don't you ever get tired of you? I do. Give it a rest, dude.

Preacher, Rastaman, Joe's, Hospital Rock, Harrington Heights side of Millstone, lots of Sleepy Hollow, etc., etc.
    sensitive much, guy?

take a lap.

rog