Trail Maintenance at Breakheart reservation this weekend...Any takers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Trail Maintenance at Breakheart reservation this weekend...Any takers?

Prob gunna head to Breakheart in Saugus Saturday to clear some trails. Not sure how the process works, but I ride there often, as I live closeby, and its convenient for work week rides. Im going to call the DCR to check what the rules are for this sort of thing. I assume they wont tell me I can move fallen trees/debris off the trails. I know not many bikers ride there, but its a hidden gem. To that effect, last season (first season riding after 15 years off) seemed like no one really maintained the trails, for bikers especially. If I want to ride this season, I want to make sure its clear....Anyone in the area want to lend a hand? We can maybe grab a beer after.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No issues removing deadfalll. The only issue is chainsaw use. Just clear the branches and stuff off the trail. I'll be working on my local Sat am. So many trail are just covered from a tough winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Most of the time the DCR doesn't care if you remove the deadfall on your own and in a lot of instances they actually count on it as their resources have dwindled over the years. However, if there is big stuff that requires a chainsaw I'd suggest contacting them and eventually they will send someone over to clear it out. At least that is what my experience has been. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for the feedback. Called today. No one seemed to know what I can and can't do. So def plan on bringing a handsaw. Prob will forgo the chainsaw until I see how bad things are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My silky folding saw goes on most of my rides. The 11" blade will make quick work of the smaller type stuff.

Class Clown
    i always pack a chainsaw in my saddlebag "just incase"

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I drive past breakhart on my way to lynn and I mostly ride lynn and fells but always wondered!

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink View Post
    I drive past breakhart on my way to lynn and I mostly ride lynn and fells but always wondered!
    where is a good place to start in lynn for someone more used to the fells?

banned
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    The ladies tee lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawReynolds View Post
    The ladies tee lol.
    Yeah, you can just about bracket the full spectrum of mountain biking between Fells and Lynn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv77YQvdQu8

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bring your big boy pants. Really. I would suggest a guide first. Lots of car and house sized 'rocks" for the trail tread. Hucks, drops and roll downs abound. Lots of go arounds for most. Finding the good singletrack will take some local knowledge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    HA - don't let them throw you off - park at the ballfield (near golf course off 129) and head in the fireroad to the right. There are some park maps online that are good for keeping your bearings. If you are looking for a 'tour' just give a shout-out and I am sure someone will help you out. Go explore - really great place for the right type of rider...

banned
    Nov 2017
    Bowridge mwaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!😀

Class Clown
    I can ride there so no parking needed. i've been there once by the powerlines and left with 2 flats but that was before going tubeless.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Your problem wasn't running tubes, your problem was not pumping up your tires appropriately.🙂

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hit me with a PM. Happy to give you a tour. I am also introducing some newcomers to lynn so doing some "mellow" loops as well that are good intros to lynn without dialing up the fear meter too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink View Post
    Hit me with a PM. Happy to give you a tour. I am also introducing some newcomers to lynn so doing some "mellow" loops as well that are good intros to lynn without dialing up the fear meter too much.
    Curious on what a mellow loop is there other than the south side and fire roads. The stuff up by Boston Rock is amazing but I often can't ride more than 10' without stopping or taking a stem to the junk (that seems to happen to me there several times per ride).

I always got frustrated with Lynn but recently vowed to get in there weekly and learn the place better. Hopefully I can start putting together some loops where I can get a decent 8 miler in. Then as my time, skill, and knowledge of the trails increase I can start adding some more difficult trails. I've walk/ridden most of Boston rock and balancing Boulder areas. Wondering if there is some other areas with some good tech perhaps dialed down one or two notches from the areas aforementioned.

Looking at the map, I have not been to elevator to the top area. Good stuff?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk