TR ::16 days of MTB in the northeast- Mtbr.com
    IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004

TR ::16 days of MTB in the northeast

Alright... Remember a while back... I bugged everyone on here about our upcoming trip on the east coast to sample the best riding around... Well... Not worth taking a plane out west because there is great riding around here! I'll be x-posting this TR on various regionnal boards because a lot of people helped me put this trip together!

On day 1 we were in the eastern township of Quebec for "FestivAllezY". This friendly bike festival is all about beer! (oh yeah, and riding also!) A friend of ours has a big land in the township with 2 little singletrack (less then 1mi each) and a bike park with a bunch of stunts and a newly built 3-way tabletop.

The best feature of the event was the 2 different custom brews and our very own custom beer glass:

Jerome is Quebec's trail advocacy group's president. He's also an IMBA Provincial Rep (and newly appointed IMBA Canada worker). And he's also known for drinking a bit too much when beer and biking is involved... You can check out the IMBA On the trail Blog ( https://onthetrail.imbatools.com/?p=141 ) from the trail care crew's last visit to see that fresh brew is always involved with mountain biking here also! That's why he had is own personnal keg on the side...

There were rides organized on both days... but we had to hit to road... so we stayed there for only one night...

We drove down to western MA, driving through Vermont and made our way to the DAR State Forest. We stayed there for 3 nights and rode 3 different places: DAR SF, Earl's trail and Bachelor ST. 3 great rides: Bachelor St. is awsome! Can't believe it's all on state land! In contrast to what we have here... There is very little climbing involved... So your legs always feel fresh! And if there's lots of climbing... it's never more then 10min straight... So that was refreshing!

We then went through CT straight to New York to ride Blue Mountain Reservation in Peekskill, NY. Great riding there also. Really technical but most of it it flowy and you really understand why it's among the favorite destination for new yorkers! No big elevation changes there either... But there is a strong network of doubletrack for the climbs and winding singletrack to ride back down... No wonder the race course is called "Chainstretcher"!

Went to NYC the following day. I haven't been there in almost 10 years. Things have changed! Lots of bike lanes all over the downtown area. We were stoked about the riding right in town because of NYCmtb:

After a 2 day stay in NYC, we had to go back to a more quiet area... so off to Rhode Island to ride the Arcadia Wildlife Management Area. Great trail network with lots of singletrack in between. Not very technical... No big challenges... but loads of fun

A night was just enough at the very loud campground invaded by city kids... Not as quiet as we would have liked...So we took off in direction of Cape Cod. We settled at the very nice Shawmee Crowell State Park

The place was so nice that we stayed there for 5 nights. We were switching between riding and just enjoying the beach. Tons of traffic on the cape but food is good and riding is awsome. We visited Boston for the first time. Too bad i didn't know that a friend of mine from Colorado was moving to Boston on the same day we were there!

We finished things off on the cape by a evening on the beach before heading towards New Hampshire

Before heading out of MA, we had to check out what Vietnam had to offer. We were not disapointed! The riding there is amazing and the stunts are very challenging... I couldn't go all out because i didn't bring any pads along... and still had 4 more days of vacation ahead of me... But the local i was following was really going at it!

After an exciting day, we got out of the woods onto pavement before getting to the car... And of course, this happened:

So we got to Bear Brook State Park after a short 2-hour drive. We were really disapointed with the condition of the park. Bathrooms looked like they haven't been cleaned in months... Campsites had no trees between them... only a log to separate you from your neighbourgh.... We missed our little campsite in Sandwhich MA!

The trails however did not dissapoint! Nice bench cut contour trails mixed in with old XC-skiing trails. A great mix! Not much climbing... southern NH was flatter then expected! We didn't have a guide there... so apparently we missed a bit of the action... but since we liked the area, we'll be back probably next year for a couple of days... 3 good riding spots close to another... plus i want to ride Fort Rock!

After almost 2 full weeks on the road we were pretty tired... And rain and t-storms were forecasted for our last night... So we found a 50$ motel for our last night... We slacked off too and grabbed a pizza and a bottle of wine and watch TV for the evening! lol! What a way to enjoy nature! lol!

We kept the best for last: FOMBA was 20min away from our Motel. This place as a strong backbone made from ancient roads, fire roads and old dirt roads... In between there is about 10 singletrack trails all built by volounteers from the local NEMBA chapter who also bought portion of the area in order to preserve it as a strong recreationnal pole for the region.

There was a huge 20-ft roller that was pretty nice. After checking it out on top for 5-10min. my girlfriend finally went for it... just to run back up and do it again! Go girl!

And of course, you meet all sorts of user on a popular recreationnal area:

I wonder where he fits on those yellow triangular "YIELD" signs...

In all, we were on the road for 16 days. Rode 13 different riding areas. Visited 7 states and 2 major cities. Drank a lot of good beer (but sometime went for the familiar No.9!), had a bunch of good wine bottles and hate great food at the campground including: amazing filet mignon steaks, fresh scallops and fresh salmon. Hmmmmmmm!

So thanks to everyone who helped us plan this wonderfull trip. The MTBR community helped us a great deal and i surely hope i can return the favor! So if you ever head up to Northern Vermont, let me know!

Cheers!
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wow, great post, thanks for sharing it. You and your girl went on a vacation that I would die for.

So would you consider Massabesic the best place that you have rode in those 13 places?
    I've never heard of it but only being like 45 mins from Manchester I should probably check it out sometime.

-Ash

Sep 2006
    Nice post, thanks for sharing! Hubby and I are originally from Cape Cod, but live in Seattle now.

mtbr member
    Hey BigJay - sorry that I missed you when you came down!! Not to worry, I will be heading up to Montreal at some point in time in the future to ride or at the very least I work next to Vietnam so your always free to come back down here! ... it's a lot different from Colorado, but hey, I said Colorado was a lot different from Montreal when I moved there !!

Nice pics and ride report!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    you need to add highland to your next trip and lynn woods. Bring your armour for both.

May 2007
    if you can remeber...

what trail at nam is this?
    Last edited by ratmloud; 08-28-2008 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doro
    you need to add highland to your next trip and lynn woods. Bring your armour for both.
    I was debating about heading to Highland or driving twice the distance to go to Diablo, wasn't sure if it was worth it or not since Diablo seems to be so much bigger...

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpimp
    Hey BigJay - sorry that I missed you when you came down!! Not to worry, I will be heading up to Montreal at some point in time in the future to ride or at the very least I work next to Vietnam so your always free to come back down here! ... it's a lot different from Colorado, but hey, I said Colorado was a lot different from Montreal when I moved there !!

Nice pics and ride report!
    Joe?

Is that you buddy?

And as far as the trail on the picture below... It's the NEMBA trail near the kiosk below...
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

Aug 2008
    Its DLS (Dirty Little Secret). They are headed down to the kiosk with the trail map (you can see it at the center of the picture). This is at the top of the steep hill when you enter 'nam by the cell tower.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpimp
    I was debating about heading to Highland or driving twice the distance to go to Diablo, wasn't sure if it was worth it or not since Diablo seems to be so much bigger...
    may be bigger buy not better

Members who have read this thread: 0