TOT question/suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

TOT question/suggestions

Hey all, grew up in the area but mostly rode Otis back in the day. Rode TOT a few years back but I don't remember it much at this point. Anyways, visiting my parents in Sandwich Monday/Tuesday and hoping to get a decent ride in Tuesday morning, 10-15 miles, couple hours max. I plan to park at the exit 5 lot on the Service Rd.

From there does it make more sense to go TOT South and hit this succession of trails: TOTS>Broken Arrow>Dube>Airport>Three Witches>No Breaks>AS Back>Primal Scream>Chase Me>Look Out>Deer Run>Lovers Ln>Scott Rock>TOTN>lot, or would it be better to do that in the opposite direction?

Don't mind climbing, like to ride trails in the "correct" direction. Also, any trails I shouldn't skip and add to this loop?
    All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    I would advise against the exit 5 lot (also dubbed "pickle park" by the locals). The lot at Farmersville is bigger, has a porta potty and picnic tables and "Big Ring" is a great warm up and cool down trail.

TOTS is a hell of a way to warm up and many of the trails would be in the wrong direction on this loop.

I would recommend either of the two linked strava routes to give you a great tour of TOT with trails in the best directions.

https://www.strava.com/routes/7099053

https://www.strava.com/routes/7099133

I would also join the Cape Cod NEMBA facebook group as I bet someone on there may be able to take you out if you wanted a guide.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Wrong direction? There is no wrong direction at TOT lol. Everything rides great in both directions. Had a blast out there today. Rode from moms in Hyannis. If staying in Sandwich just ride to TOT, it isnít far at all and will give you a nice warmup. Closer than Hyannis by the docks.

banned
    Nov 2017
    If riding from Sandwich you can enter at the powerlines that cross Chase rd/exit 4. Trail runs up just in the woods on the right side heading east.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys! Don't think I'll ride from my folks house. They're in forestdale right next to the base and I'll have my dog with me. She'd be gassed if I did that haha

banned
    Nov 2017
    Ya that wouldnít be ideal haha. I used to live in forestdale for a time and would connect the quashnet and crane trails to get to Otis from the house. So much stuff, enjoy!

mtbr member
    I ended up doing the majority of that 11 mile strava loop posted above. Definitely missed a few of the exact trails on that loop but I tied in Scott and parts of TOTN and TOTS. I forgot how easy it is to lose your bearings out there. Spent a lot if time looking at the map and strava, and at many points wondering where the hell the intersection markers that are indicated on the map were. Some were there and some weren't. Plus lots of little off chutes on the trails that aren't on the map. But overall I had a blast and got a good 12.6 mile loop in. Thanks again for the info guys!

banned
    Nov 2017
    Not using any kind of maps or gps or strava is way better imo. Just head in the woods and take lefts/rights till you figure it out like we did in the old days and some of us still do it that way.

Those newer offshoots are prolly the new old man steep hill bypasses that have been popping up all over. TOT hasnít deserved its name since the mid 90ís honestly. Super tamed over the last 20+ years. Still fun, but becoming a mess of short cuts, bypasses and braids. Not sure why organized trailwork isnít happening out there. Lots of trails way overgrown that never used to be. Prolly due to most riders taking shortcuts to avoid the hills.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that was pretty much my first thought when I got back to the parking lot, should have ditched the map. I wanted to have a fairly predertermined route due to time but using the map to try to stay on course was more of a time suck than anything.

And I noticed it didn't seem quite as gnarly as I remember it as a teenager in the late 90's but its still a lot of fun. I really like short super-techy climbs in a lot of spots. A lot different than home (central NH) where the climbs are long and techy haha, so it was good to work on those skills and get some relief in short order.

banned
    Nov 2017
    Yup, definitely fun as it is now for sure. God I can Remember back when it was so hard that multiple HAB hills were inevitable on every ride. I Remember the 1st rigid fork that I bent while descending a long lost crazy steep rocky descent over 25 years ago. Trail o tears got its name because it was that hard. Even on today's bikes it woulda been a spirit breaker for most haha.

And as far as getting lost, it's only 1000 acres approx surrounded by 4 major roads with a power line running east/west thru the middle of it. Can't get lost.