Top wheel builders around Boston (will travel)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Top wheel builders around Boston (will travel)

Are there any top mountain bike wheel builders in or around Boston? I've heard and talked with JRA Cycles in Medford, MA and they seem to have a good reputation...

I'm familiar with Harris Cycles, but I am not sure who's building wheels since Sheldon's death.

I've also heard of Peter White Cycles, but I'm skeptical.

Any recommendations? I'm willing to travel up to 2 hours to meet with a top quality wheel builder.

I'd like to have someone build a Sun Rhyno Lite XL wheelset using Chris King disc hubs for me, and then install Stan's notubes. I would go with a UST wheelset, if I could find a similar rim to the Sun Rhyno Lites (I weigh 220 and I've had good success with Sun Rhyno Lites, even though I do all-mountain/XC riding, not DH) and a good tyre. My friend has had UST for two years, but after trying several different tires and not finding one that he liked, he gave up and installed Stan's notubes on a regular wheelset.

I want Stan's Notubes to help with pinch flats.

mtbr member
    I've had 3 sets of wheels (1 road, 2mtb) built by Dave Letourneau at Rockland Cycles 781-878-7508. He's a former machinist, and he builds a nice wheel. He's built a lot of wheels for others I know who've raced on them, and he stands behind his stuff. One of my buddies who is a watt-producing machine snapped a spoke, and Dave rebuilt the wheel for free using a heavier gauge spoke. Let him know in advance if you don't want his logo's on your rims, as it will take a while to remove each letter. (Tell him Jack S sent you).

PS, the wheels on my kestrel and Tallboy in my sig are his. The tallboy has his logo in red letters.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Give JRA Cycles a shout. They are in Medford MA, Right off 93 near the Fells.
    They will stand behind anything they build and sell.
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

I'm good at crashing
    Dave Letourneau is the man...plain and simple. Rockland Cycles.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Take a look at the NoTubes Flow rim if you are going tubeless with Stan's. Good strong rim and less complicated than a conventional rim and strip conversion.

mtbr member
    rockland cycle, union st in rockland, dave is the man when it comes to rim builds
    live life like a bullet
    FAST HARD AND GO OUT WITH A BANG

mtbr member
    rockland cycle, union st in rockland, dave is the man when it comes to rim builds
    live life like a bullet
    FAST HARD AND GO OUT WITH A BANG

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsandtears
    Give JRA Cycles a shout. They are in Medford MA, Right off 93 near the Fells.
    They will stand behind anything they build and sell.
    specifically Aaron at JRA. He is a great wheel builder, (I am biased of course) but the kids the real deal.
    Voltron

Members who have read this thread: 1