Tires: Rigid in the Northeast?- Mtbr.com
    surly inbred

Tires: Rigid in the Northeast?

What do you like? 26" flavor. SS.

I left my 2.35 Kenda Nev/BG combo for Excavators & I'm not feeling the love. I think it might be due to adjusting to the round profile. What they gain in rolling resistance I give up in nutting myself slipping in the wet.

Got sumpthin you like?

mtbr member
    Maxxis Advantage 2.4. Corners like a bastid with huge side knobs, semi-square profile, and reasonably light, too. Soft enough to grip on rocks, firm enough to not get squirmy.

Kenda tires should be illegal.

mtbr member
    On my mtb I rock Maxxis High Rollers in 2.35. They've worked for me on rocks, gravel, shallow sand, hardpack...

I've never tried Kenda mtb tires but I have them on my BMX bike and love them. I do hear good things about their street tires, but never hear them come up in trail riding discussions.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Love Maxxis Advantage 2.4, grips and rips.

Also really liking Schwalbe Fat Alberts that came on my new bike. Tons of grip on the loose, and rolls surprisingly fast. Needed to break in on the rock but now very good.
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Agree on the Maxxis Advantage 2.4's great tire-especially as a rear tire. These Stan's up really well, which for me was a big plus.

In the front, if you don't mind spending too much for a tire, Try the Schwalbe Big Betty (gooey gluey compound...similar to the Kenda Stick-E rubber). Tough as nails tire, great grip, rolls better than it should. Costs near double the Maxxis, though.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Panaracer Rampage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    Panaracer Rampage.

Have you tried those in the newer SC (grippy compound) version?? I know they are the cat's meow in 29er size, but I found them a little too slippery in the 26er size with the regular compound. But I'd be curious to see how those SC Rampages hook up in the wet and slimy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    Panaracer Rampage.
    He was asking about good tires.

Tool
    I run a classic Dart/Smoke (both 2.1) combo on my XC ride, and a 2.35 Nevagal up front with a Smoke on the rear of my trail bike. In really sloppy conditions I'll put a 2.2 Nevagal on the rear of my trail bike, but those Nevs are slooooow tires.

I think I'm one of the few serious riders using a Dart/Smoke combo, but the combo gives great cornering and climbing traction, and you can usually find these tires for about $25/ea.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Not pretty, not lazy.
    Dec 2005
    Dart/Smoke on my steel HT and Dart/Velociraptor on my alum. HT. Good overall combos for N.E.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Maxxis Highrollers 2.35 not a problem since I added them last season. I had tons of pinch flats with my Pana Fire XC (the good ones). Loved the grip on the Pana's but it was frustrating for me.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo75
    Maxxis Highrollers 2.35 not a problem since I added them last season. I had tons of pinch flats with my Pana Fire XC (the good ones). Loved the grip on the Pana's but it was frustrating for me.
    I should have mentioned that I run my Panaracers tubeless. They have thin sidewalls and really hug the terrain tubeless.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile
    I should have mentioned that I run my Panaracers tubeless. They have thin sidewalls and really hug the terrain tubeless.

I gotta get on the tubeless train for sure. I liked the way the Panaracers handled but I like the Highrollers just as much.

banned
    Sep 2008

rubber

i like tires that are rubber. rubber is the key ingrediant. never met a rubber tire that i didn't like. only pilot error is to blame.

rog

Members who have read this thread: 0