Tires for Mass Riders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tires for Mass Riders

Just wondering what does everyone use for tires around here? With all the rocky terrain Ive been using Nevgals but I was just thinking about trying some other tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Depends on your bike and what you want to do with it. Nevies are a really good all around tire, but they come in a huge range of sizes, sidewalls, and compounds. A 2.1 single-ply hard compound Nevegal is totally different from a 2.7 Stick-E DH tire.

I ride the dynamic duo of the Michie Comp 24 and Comp 32 'cause I like to ride everything from DH to X-stuntry on the same set of super-sticky as in hot-gum-on-the-sidewalk-sticky tires. Oh, and I like to climb stupid-steep rocks. And maybe I'm a little of a masochist since my bike weighs a hair over 48 lbs...

Dave

mtbr member
    HAHA this would be for my trail bike! 2.1 or 2.3, I ride Chunders on my DH bike

Dec 2006
    new england xc riding = panaracer fire xc ust

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Panaracer Fire XC works well for me.

person
    I'm currently running IRC Trail Bears, 2.5 front and 2.25 rear. So far I've found them to work extremely well with the terrain we have around here. The only thing is that they're a harder compound so they don't perform well in the wet, especially on wet roots and rocks. One of the reasons I chose them however was because of the harder compound; I like to ride to the trails and I didn't want a tire that was going to get chewed up after riding on the road. Plus I don't like riding when its wet anyway.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

Aug 2007
    I tried a pair of wtb Prowlers on recommendation from the lbs, couldn't be happier so far. I try to stay away from mud so was looking for a tire that hooks up good in the corners on all the loose dry stuff around here, and they seem to grab the large smooth rocks pretty well too, as long as it's dry.
    Not sure about good mud tires.

mtbr member
    My buddy that I ride with all the time has a set of the prowlers and he likes them alot.

Since this thread Ive taken the IRC Trailbears 2.25's of my Prophet and put them on my Nomad and they are a really nice tire but I agree that they're not the best in the wet.

Anyone in Mass have any time on the WTB Velociraptors? They seem like they could tear through the mub pretty well

Nostralpicas
    I rode nembafest at wompatuck this past weekend very wet rooty and rocky was very happy with 2.3 specialized enduro pro in the back and kenda kinetics 2.3 in the front
    All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

mtbr member
    WTB Exiwolf's have been great for the past year (mostly Gilbert Hills & Borderland riding), now I'm using Continental Mountain King 2.2s, even better thus far. They hook up just as well as the Exi's did, but shed the mud much better, and corner a bit better in the loose stuff . . .

Oct 2008
    WTB Exiwolfs 2.3 front and rear are doing me great! Little slippery on the wet roots, but let's face it,anything but tank treads will be.

over my head
    Nevegal 2.35 DTC tubeless. Not so great for fast single track but perfect for Nam, HP.
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

Just a flesh wound

Trail Bears

I have them on my Prophet, and they are a good compromise for good at everything, but not great at wet, although I have never been let down by them. I would put them on again in a heartbeat.

My brother has the Panaracers on his Prophet and he likes them.

achiever
    I'm really diggin my Kenda Excavators 2.35's right now. I'm running them DIY tubeless and they grip like crazy.

Designated Bleeder

Can't beat the Nevegals

I have tried tons of tires for riding New England's rocky, rooty trails, WTB, Continentals, Panaracers, Michelins, Maxxis, you name it. I thought that all the hype about the Kenda Nevegals was just talk until I rode them. Now I ride the 2.1's on my singlespeed and 2.35's on my freeride full suspension. Hands down the best tires I have ever ridden for Lynn, Vietnam, HP and anywhere around here where there are lots of rock faces and rooty climbs. The 2.35's are a bit sluggish for XC singletrack but you'll be thanking yourself for buying them on a nasty, wet, technical downhill. My only beef is that the Stick-E versions of the Nevegal wear pretty fast...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm with Red on the Excavator DTC's. I run a 2.1 in the rear on my FS and it hooks up very well. Running it on a Flow rim with yellow tape. One thing about the Excavators is they take a little longer to seal the side walls, but once you get past that they hold air very well and are quite durable.

For a less aggressive tire check out Maxxis Ignitors. I run them on my SS 29er and I love them. Super-easy to seat and seal.

- Chris

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod
    HAHA this would be for my trail bike! 2.1 or 2.3, I ride Chunders on my DH bike
    High Roller in the front and a Chunder on back for my trail bike.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

blet drive

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod
    My buddy that I ride with all the time has a set of the prowlers and he likes them alot.

Since this thread Ive taken the IRC Trailbears 2.25's of my Prophet and put them on my Nomad and they are a really nice tire but I agree that they're not the best in the wet.

Anyone in Mass have any time on the WTB Velociraptors? They seem like they could tear through the mub pretty well
    WTB Velociraptors they ride really well and in dry and muddy
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Members who have read this thread: 0