Tires for Boston- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Tires for Boston

So what kind of tires are people riding around Boston area trails in the 2.2 or 2.35 range??

I need some new ones...

achiever
    I'm in western MA but check out WTB Stout 2.35. Grippy as heck but wear quickly on the commute which sucks for me. I went to a harder compound Moto Raptor which actually did pretty well on a wet, slick and slimy ride yesterday morning.

Red

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I was a serial pinch-flatter riding 3-5x per week mostly in Middlesex Fells when I was running the WTB Weirwolf 2.1's on my HT. I now run a Maxxis Minion 2.35 in the front and a Specialized Resolution 2.1 in the back. The Spesh is actually wider than the Maxxis, but I dont like it much because it has super flimsy sidewalls which I am in constant fear of slicing. The Minion is on the heavy side, but I like the sturdier sidewalls and I figured I was wasting more time and energy fixing flats every other ride (at best) then I am with the extra rotational mass and rolling resistance. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Nevegals. Amazing tire. The shorter life with the DTC tacky tread is worth the fun you'll have.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

Who are the brain police?
    Minion 2.5 in the front and a Specialized Chunder 2.3 in the back. The tires are actually the same size...

The two tires have a very similar tread pattern too. Next time around I'll just buy two Chunders and see how that goes.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    I'm running Schwalbe Big Betty's 2.4 front and back right now. Kind of heavy but very fast rollers, great traction, and very tough. I need some more time on them to really get a feel for them but so far they seem like the real deal.

I had the Fat Albert 2.35's front and back before and they rode very well. Traction was solid and they were a good weight for a beefy tire. They weren't nearly as tough as the Big Betty's though. The sidewalls wore out before the tread.

I did the Kenda BG/Nevegal 2.35 thing before these tires. I loved the traction but the rolling resistance kind of sucked and the sidewalls were really flimsy. I had to use DH tubes in them to prevent flats. I wouldn't recommend these tires for our trails.

I had the Hutch Spyder 2.3's for awhile. Very solid traction and good rollers but a little on the flimsy side. You could make them work here but expect some flats.

I also had the Geax Sturdy 2.25's. Those were some good tires. Fast rollers and very durable. They were a bit on the heavy side but that's because they were so beefy. I didn't like them when conditions got wet. A little on the slippy side.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey thanks for the replies

these are some of the tires ive been looking at and its nice to see a few of their names pop up as answers here.

Kenda Nevegal 2.3
    Maxxis High Roller 2.3
    Michelin DH Comp 2.2
    Michelin Mountain Xtreme 2.2
    Schwalbe 2.25
    WTB Weirwolf 2.3

Members who have read this thread: 0