Tire recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Tire recommendations?

I have a birthday coming up and the wife is asking what I want so I was just wondering if any of the Cape riders(or anyone familiar with the conditions here) had some tire recommendations. I am currently running the tires that came on my Jamis Durango 1 (2.1 I think). I have heard of people running different sizes in the front then in the rear and would just like some advice for a noob.

Just a flesh wound
    I have a Cannondale Prophet with a 2.5 Weirwolf on the front and a 2.3 Weirwolf on the back. I like them a lot. I hear the Kenda Excavator DTC is really nice. My buddy has Kenda Nevegals and loves them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    kenda nevegals are cool in the 2.35 version but they don't roll fast and weigh a ton... mucho traction though. i heard the sb8 is a faster rolling version and a little lighter, i am going to try that next time maybe even in a 2.1, i don't find i am having any traction problems yet so i am going to go smaller until i have a problem with traction.

banned
    Sep 2008

cape tire

honestly, any tire made of rubber will do, but here's what works for me for the cape or anywhere. a real sleeper that's been around for a decade. the WTB mutano raptor race 2.4
    a true 2.4 inch 595 gram low rolling resistant great cornering tire. i run them on my scott spark. big enough to run low pressure and fast. i even use them at 45 psi to ride my 28 mile round trip road ride to work now that my commuter bike broke. lock out the front and rear suspension, throw it in the 44t ring and the tires roll fast and are silent on blacktop.

great tire! and they wear very well. my current pair are a year old and i ride a whole bunch.

rog

mtbr member
    Cape is mostly hardpacked with small roots, some sand and not too many rocks. I run at 2.3 up front and a 2.1 in the rear. You want the tire with more traction up front to dig in during hard cornering and possibly something a bit lighter with less rolling resistance in the back.

If you can go tubeless that's the ticket for the cape due to lots of thorns. I run stans and have not flatted in two seasons.

My old 26" bike came with Kenda Nevengals and I thought they were too heavy for typical cape cod conditions. The bike mags love that tire, but I hated it....felt like pushing a wheel barrel uphill. I had good luck with tires from Geax (Barro race and barro mountain) Panaracer (rampage) and Intense (system 4).

Quote Originally Posted by Joedub917
    I have a birthday coming up and the wife is asking what I want so I was just wondering if any of the Cape riders(or anyone familiar with the conditions here) had some tire recommendations. I am currently running the tires that came on my Jamis Durango 1 (2.1 I think). I have heard of people running different sizes in the front then in the rear and would just like some advice for a noob.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think Rog hit it on the head - any tire made of rubber. : ) What about a solid tire? I'm going to try those Mutanos soon.

I've tried a range of tires over the summer and liked the Nobby Nic the best so far - they roll wicked fast. I rode them about 3 hours in the rain in ToT yesterday and they were fine on all surfaces. I also tried Maxxis High Rollers and Rocket Rons. The Rons were great, but the High Rollers were SO SLOWWW going up or on flat. I felt like I was towing my nephew on his big wheel.

I'm liking lower air pressure with the Stan's tubeless a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    kenda small block or the maxxis larsen tt are good choices for cc.
    anything else is overkill. you can get the larsens cheap on blue sky cycling right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Maxxis Advantage 2.4. Tough tire, rolls well, handles sand well and work's wonderfully with stans. Think of it as a super Burly race tire. Best tire I've used in a long long time!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for all the recommendations. What exactly is involved with going tubeless? Do I need new rims to do this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Most rims work fine, you just need the right rim strips for your rim. The rim strip holds the valve and creates the bottom part of the seal on the inside. I would say go for it, but I enjoy this type of work. You can get a kit for like $60 that has the tape, strips and sealant for like 8 tires. Seems expensive, but not when you don't have to buy tubes or change a tire - ever.

It takes me about ten minutes to do a pair of wheels now and I only use a floor pump. I used to flat a tube about every other ride and have had zero flats with stan's.

Here's more info -

http://www.notubes.com/support_selecting.php

Doro - thanks for the Blue Sky tip, never seen that site, it has some sweet deals.

Members who have read this thread: 0