Tire of Choice- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire of Choice

30 something dad

Tire of Choice

So what is everyone using for tires? I'm moving back east after some time in CO and right now I have Maxxis Ranchero's on my bike. Going to switch to Monorails this weekend. Both are good on the decomposed granite/hard pack/rocky terrain we have out here. What is best for the loamy rooty trails of the east?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by truepatriot09
    So what is everyone using for tires? I'm moving back east after some time in CO and right now I have Maxxis Ranchero's on my bike. Going to switch to Monorails this weekend. Both are good on the decomposed granite/hard pack/rocky terrain we have out here. What is best for the loamy rooty trails of the east?
    Kenda Nevegals 2.35 front and back....they grab everything

mdc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rushtrack
    Kenda Nevegals 2.35 front and back....they grab everything

x2.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Agreed.

Just bought them and I absolutely love them.

30 something dad
    Sweet...good to see a triple endorsement on the first tire posted.

How do you think the Maxxis I've been riding will do?

never ender
    I've never been a fan of Nevegals or Kendas in general. My favorite tire is the Hutchinson Barracuda, in a soft or medium-soft compound. For wet or mixed-conditions riding, I really prefer a tire with a squarish profile and heavy side knobs like the Barracuda...some of my other faves are the Maxxis ADvantage and High Roller.

BTW, I'm in Western Mass. In dry conditions you can ride just about any tire out here...trouble is that it's never dry. For east coast riding, sticky rubber is key.

achiever
    I had nevegals for a couple of days when my bike was new. Sidewall got torn on rocks. May grip good but the sidewalls are paper thin.

I like WTB Stout 2.3's or Motoraptors in 2.2/2.4 combo. Stouts are way stickier though.

mtbr member
    Conti Mountain King Supersonics.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have had a couple pairs of the Rancheros on my xc bike and they work pretty well out here. If your rides stay more on the xc end of things, they do very well. If more tech singletrack is your thing, I would maybe look at a slightly bigger tire to help with the abundance of rocks you will typically see on the trails. Personally I try to shy away from anything larger than a 2.2 as they really are just too sluggish IMO and I rarely see that I need alot more grip. During the summer months when things get dry and packed, and you get tons of traction, I usually switch to a fast rolling almost semislick tire.I just picked up some WTB Wolverines I am anxious to mount up.
    rise above

Members who have read this thread: 0