Thursday night rides?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thursday night rides?

Does anyone know about any Thursday night rides in the northampton/amherst/greenfield area? I actually have Thursdays off but I'm looking to get some use out of this light I bought last fall. Saturday might work as well but I'd be more likely to make it to something on Thursday night.

I like to ride my bike.
    Not in the area, but there are Thursday rides in Harold Parker that go into the night. We generally ride HP every Thursday and try to ride in the winter too. PM for more info.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    I just got a light last week and want to get some use from it. I couldn't do every Thursday, but certainly some of them. Perhaps a Wendell ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    I just got a light last week and want to get some use from it. I couldn't do every Thursday, but certainly some of them. Perhaps a Wendell ride?
    That could definitely work for me.

mtbr member
    I'm not opposed to Saturday night rides either. I'll be away this weekend and probably won't be able to do a ride next Thursday, but I'll drop you a PM as the time draws near and I know what my schedule looks like

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Dfinn and Smelly,

I just rode up at wendell tonight (thursday) with the Bob Crew (Bikes Unlimited)--

Bob generally takes the slower/ mellower crew and I led the faster group (Hannah Swarton/ Mormon Hollow after dark is-well, it's something else).

I know not everybody is in to the Bob thing-but we had a good crew tonight-made good time and rode quite a bit of trails in 2 hours-I thought it was an ample ride anyway.

Liam

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had a fun riding with the "Bob" crew last summer. My schedule doesn't let me go on the tuesday rides anymore unfortunately. Is the thursday night ride a pretty regular thing? What time do you guys meet up?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Dfinn and All interested Pioneer valley Riders:

Yeah-the Fall schedule for Bob's shop ride (Bicycles Unlimited in Greenfield
    www.bikes-unlimited.com) is Tuesday and Thurday Nights. If they ride somewhere from the shop it's a 6-6:10pm start time (greenfield Ridge, Coke Plant, Gill and Canada Hill stuff).

If they travel (Wendell, Deerfield Ridge, Toby)-it's a 6:15-20 start at the place there riding.

There is always at least two level of rides offered. Bob generally shepherding the newbies up to the intermediates and someone else the faster group (never a race pace group-just a slightly more ambitious group-very friendly all around, honest!). To Bob's credit-these are great rides for folks who have significant others or friends who are slower/ mellower than them but want to do a group ride together-Bob really enjoys helping newbies/ beginners get into the whole riding scene.

Tuesdays are pretty much out for me too-but I'll make a fair number of the Thursday rides-and If I don't the 'Kid' Matt Green-a pretty strong rider-will pull the fast group (faster than I do in fact).

Just something to keep in mind for those looking for Night group rides.

I'm pretty Sure Bicycle World (also in Greenfield) is still running weekly group rides during the week but you'd have to check their website or call the Shop to find out when

www.bicycleworldinc.com

mtbr member
    Bicycle World has rides going out on Wed. nights now.We also try to get rides going on the weekends(Batch,Hawley,Wendel).Between Bikes-Unlimited and Bicycle World there are plenty of options up here.I know rides with Bob are always fun.
    Who's Highpitch?.....This is Kelly Clarkson.

mtbr member
    ok, who's in for a Thursday night Wendell ride this week?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Smelly-though I won't be there( curriculum night at my sons' school) I can set you all up with my group thursday night-Jason and The Kid do a good job of leading in wendell.

'sides I told the crew they ought to get a chance to see you hauling down the trail to the lookouts (maybe they'll show you the other side of that trail-which you could probably do some impressive damage on!).

Let me know,

Liam

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Smelly, it's looking pretty likely for me right now but I'll know better by tomorrow. I'd be fine with joining up with the bikes unlimited crew if you wanted to do that.

Sounds like we're looking at a 6:15 meetup.

mtbr member
    I'm a bit confused - Are there two rides going out or one? If there are two, what time is SuperbMan's group going out? And what is the meeting point for the ride(s)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    I'm a bit confused - Are there two rides going out or one? If there are two, what time is SuperbMan's group going out? And what is the meeting point for the ride(s)?
    Sorry, didn't mean to add to the confusion. I think there's just one group. I was trying to say that if for some reason you didn't feel like riding with the other group we could split off on our own.

Superb posted above that they meet up around 6:15. If they still meet at the same spot as they did last year then it's the main park entrance which is on Wendell/Montague Rd.

If I'm able to make it I'll be driving a grey toyota pickup and I have an Enduro SL. As it is right now the weather does not look very ideal for Thursday night, hopefully they are wrong.

mtbr member

Oct 11

Due to the threatening weather, the Bob Crew will probably be riding the Greenfield Ridge or canceling if there is rain. Wendell in the wet is a really sketchy place!

If you guys do WSF, you are on your own this week.

Harold

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    H.,

Jason might be willing to lead a ride at Wendell Thursday--

what's funny to me is that Bob's crew is going with rthe Greenfield Ridge as the 'wet weather' option ride....

That place is every bit as sketchy as wendell (maybe moreso!!) in excessive rain!

I could go for a good G-field ridge ride-it'd be the place to test out the new green monster you left on my porch!

mtbr member
    Ok, I figured that the main entrance was the meeting point but just wanted to be sure.

I may not be able to make it until 6:30 tomorrow as a late afternoon meeting just popped up on my schedule, but I'm still interested in riding. Can that work for other folks (dfinn and this potential group led by Jason)? I don't have any problem riding when it's drizzling. If it's pouring, however, that's another story.

dfinn, I'll be in a gold dodge van riding a Turner 6pack. I PM'ed you with my # in case we need to call this off at the last minute due to weather.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hate to say it but at this point it's looking more likely for me to get in a ride during the day, if at all. I don't mind riding in the rain but riding at night in the rain might be a different story, although I can't say for sure since I've never really tried it.

Smelly, I got your #. If things change I'll give you a call. What's this green monster?

The ridge trails seem to handle moisture much better than Wendell. As long as you stayed away from the rockier sections I think it would be fine.

mtbr member
    I'm beginning to feel the same way, dfinn. Got a ride report from some folks who did Batchelor street today and they said it was a slippery nightmare. Wendell is wet after a month without rain. It's gonna be disasterous tomorrow night.

Well, there's always next week. I'm available this Sunday as well.

mtbr member

Wendell Today

Liam, Jan and I rode the much less technical route at Wendell today. Pretty greasy on the roots and flat on-surface rock. The lower loops (Lookout, Hannah, Nipmuck, Morman Hollow) would have been downright dangerous.

I'd hate to ride it tonight with limited visibility...

It's not going anywhere soon.

H.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv
    The lower loops (Lookout, Hannah, Nipmuck, Morman Hollow) would have been downright dangerous.
    I just got back from riding pretty much that and a little bit more. It was definitely slick. I don't think I've ever crashed so quickly in a ride before. I wouldn't want to be riding it at night.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    But-what we did ride-The Frost, Old M&M, CD Trail, the Hiatus and Two Brothers was fantastic! And looking out my window--yesterday we definately the day to hit it...it'sd sure wet now!

Liam

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Bob (Bicycles Unlimited) crew is riding wendell tonight @ 6:10 meeting at the Park headquarters on Montague Rd (usual spot).

There will be a mixed crew for sure-but I think there wsill be enough stronger riders present to make up a faster group (Hado, I believe the Kid will lead?).

Liam

mtbr member
    Just got back from the ride. Twas a mixed crew. I had a helluva lot of fun chasing Matt. We didn't go in WSF; did a loop across the street with about a 20 minutes downhill.
    I wouldn't mind going into the park next Thursday if anyone else is interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ah-the Robert Frost into west chestnut hill in leverett---That's a great single track down hill--but a bit of work getting up to the top, huh?

Smelly-as always, I got daytime hours-drop me a line if you're playing hooky.

Liam

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'll probably get some sh!t for this but looks like I'm out for thursday night rides. A group of guys started getting together for pickup b-ball in my town and I hadn't played in 2 years. Had a great time tonight though.

I got in a 2 hour DAR ride before my 2 hours of basketball. My legs are pretty beat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn
    I'll probably get some sh!t for this but looks like I'm out for thursday night rides. A group of guys started getting together for pickup b-ball in my town and I hadn't played in 2 years. Had a great time tonight though.

I got in a 2 hour DAR ride before my 2 hours of basketball. My legs are pretty beat.
    Who'd give you sh!t for that?? I recently made a return to 'Ball" Sports a few months ago (men's soccer, B-Ball and Tenniss)-after a 10 year lay-off--I'd forgotten how much I love playing the more traditional sports...like the kids say-it's all good!

Liam

mtbr member
    No doubt about it, you earn that downhill. At least the climb isn't technical, just steep.
    I could make it out to WSF by 3:45 some weekday if that works for you. Tuesdays are out for me.

No worries dfinn. I skipped Monday rides all summer to play soccer. I get bored of only riding bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Tonight-(Thursday Oct 25th!) I'll be leading the faster (not uber-fast-but steadily faster than the more moderate pace group) crew of the bikes-unlimited gang at Wendell SF-meeting around 6:10 at the Park HQ (usual spot). We'll ride exclusively withing the Park itself tonight (no RF, Old M&M, etc)

I'm going to get there early and get riding by 5:00pm so as to hit the Hannah Swarton (or Mormon Hllow-which has just been leaf-blown) in Daylight before returning to the Parking lot to gather up the night riding crew.

Of note-yesterday I got out and with my might-mighty backpack pack blower blew off the Nipmuck Trail, Bob is Fat trail and Most of the Maple Leaf-so... these should be fairly prime for night time navigation. Also-Big Mark C took the official NEMBA backpack blower and hit the Mormon Hollow return-

To be sure, leaves will have fallen since yesterday but they'll be cleaner than any other trail you were planning on riding today!

Liam

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Much appreciated Liam.

I was getting ready to head up to Hawley but instead I'm going to head over to Wendell. Maybe I'll see you up there, we'll probably be ending our ride as you are getting started.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Tonight-(Thursday Oct 25th!) I'll be leading the faster (not uber-fast-but steadily faster than the more moderate pace group) crew of the bikes-unlimited gang at Wendell SF-meeting around 6:10 at the Park HQ (usual spot). We'll ride exclusively withing the Park itself tonight (no RF, Old M&M, etc)

I'm going to get there early and get riding by 5:00pm so as to hit the Hannah Swarton (or Mormon Hllow-which has just been leaf-blown) in Daylight before returning to the Parking lot to gather up the night riding crew.

Of note-yesterday I got out and with my might-mighty backpack pack blower blew off the Nipmuck Trail, Bob is Fat trail and Most of the Maple Leaf-so... these should be fairly prime for night time navigation. Also-Big Mark C took the official NEMBA backpack blower and hit the Mormon Hollow return-

To be sure, leaves will have fallen since yesterday but they'll be cleaner than any other trail you were planning on riding today!

Liam

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Trails were in great shape. Even the stuff that hadn't been blown wasn't that bad but the trails that had were oh-so-nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn
    Trails were in great shape. Even the stuff that hadn't been blown wasn't that bad but the trails that had were oh-so-nice.
    Just remember that whenever wondering what you're local NEMBA chapter (and it's officers!) do for you !

Liam

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    $25 well spent. I am finally a NEMBA member.

mtbr member
    Though I always enjoy leafy trails (makes for drifty goodness), glad to hear the trails have been cleaned off. Thanks Liam and Mark!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Smelly,

Yeah-not everywhere needs the leaf-blower-but wendell doesn't see a tenth of the riders that Batchelor St sees so the trails tend to completely disappear under the fallen Leaves--last week-I couldn't find sections of the Mormon Hollow (and I'm one of it's builders!!). We may or may not hit the main trails again in mid november (I might wait for the ground freeze first).

Dfinn-I really appreciate you kicking in to the club-I''ve been very, very remiss in hawking memberships (I like the trail building-maintaining/ ride leading part of the gig-I'm less able at recruitment). Every little bit counts-and it's not so much the 25 bucks (though it's needed and appreciated!)-but the willingness of a rider (and hopefully someday-every rider) to stand and be counted as part of a dynamic regional advocacy group. Numbers matter-when we approach the DCR (fending off a complaint or looking for access) or a legislator they always want to know in hard figures-how any people are you speaking for? And believe it or not getting up to a couple of hundred registered active members in a region like ours is significant and influential. So thanks again for contributing and becoming a member!

Liam

I'll probably post some sort of please renew/ join PV-NEMBA thread in the near future.

Members who have read this thread: 0