Three Days of Biking in Southeast Mass- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Three Days of Biking in Southeast Mass

Our group of six is headed to SE Mass for three days of biking. We are planning to do Vietnam one day and most likely Borderland and F. Gilbert. We're intermediate XC riders in our 40s and 50s. We're not huckers, so we plan on avoiding the hucking in Vietnam which I understand can be done in and around the NEMBA area. Any other thoughts to the area. I heard Franklin State Forest is overrun with motorcycles, so we are going to avoid that.

I have read about them all on NEMBA's site but wanted to hear some personal opinions on the area.

mtbr member
    If it were me, Id ride Duxbury, Otis and TOT. All have great flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    Our group of six is headed to SE Mass for three days of biking. We are planning to do Vietnam one day and most likely Borderland and F. Gilbert. We're intermediate XC riders in our 40s and 50s. We're not huckers, so we plan on avoiding the hucking in Vietnam which I understand can be done in and around the NEMBA area. Any other thoughts to the area. I heard Franklin State Forest is overrun with motorcycles, so we are going to avoid that.

I have read about them all on NEMBA's site but wanted to hear some personal opinions on the area.
    Sounds like you picked good spots, as long as your looking for some good 'ol rocky NE riding.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I ride wompatuck weekly

Can easily do 20 miles in there

Lots of everything

And I second duxbury - just great flow

mtbr member
    Thanks all. We're probably going to stay in the general vicinity of Foxboro. Duxbury and Hingham are probably a little far out, but I'll commit them to memory for the future!

Does anyone have any experience with Wrentham or Rocky Woods in Taunton?

mtbr member
    Wrentham is similar to Franklin in that it's torn up by four wheelers. You could connect it to Foxborro, but F Gilbert should have plenty there to keep you busy for a day. Haven't been to Tauntin in a few years and I recall it being ok, but certainly not a better option than your original 3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I haven't been to rocky woods in taunton but know that its a spaghetti maze. If you want to do technical cross country ridding I would suggest taking a trip down to Freetown state forest. Miles of rocky technical ridding. and if you want to do something a little smoother with a few punchy climbs there's always massasoitt state park in taunton.

mtbr member
    I like what I just read about Freetown. I see there's a pretty big thread about it. I'll check it out.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

I vote Freetown Forest

I like what I just read about Freetown. I see there's a pretty big thread about it. I'll check it out.

Thanks!
    There's an 11 mile loop that's going to be used for a race on Sept 20 that already has arrows up. It's some of the rockier trails in Freetown but fun. Start from the ranger station. If you want to explore beyond that, there's a lot more options.

mtbr member
    That's great to know! 11 miles is right in our wheelhouse.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lobujitracer View Post
    There's an 11 mile loop that's going to be used for a race on Sept 20 that already has arrows up. It's some of the rockier trails in Freetown but fun. Start from the ranger station. If you want to explore beyond that, there's a lot more options.
    Where does the arrowed route start from? I'm heading there tomorrow and may check it out.

Arebee - My vote is that you stick with your orginal 3 places to ride. In terms of fun trails, Foxy, Nam and Borderlands are great places. What Freetown can offer is a massive chunk of land and some challenging singletrack with more baby heads than you've ever seen. If you get lost in there you can have long slogs on swampy overgrown 4 wheeler trails and be subject to the local murderers, aliens, and mini sasquatch (Beyond The Bridgewater Triangle With Kristen Good). If you're in for a full day adventure though, Freetown may be it.

mtbr member
    Cripes Scott! Was the term baby heads literal or figurative? That's a little bit scary!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It starts from the ranger station

mtbr member
    Cripes Scott! Was the term baby heads literal or figurative? That's a little bit scary!
    Literal. Um, I mean figurative. Babyheads are rocks the size of....you guessed it - a baby's head. There's a a few trails in there covered in them that'll keep you in your toes for miles.

You want real scary? Do some solo night riding in Freetown.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by comp94 View Post
    It starts from the ranger station
    Thanks. Should be fun tomorrow after this rain.

mtbr member
    Well, this weekend's weather looks freaking fantastic! We're headed up after work Thursday so we can get an early start Friday. Probably try to do two rides on both Friday and Saturday and one Sunday morning before heading home.

The group has pretty much committed to F. Gilbert, Borderland and Vietnam. If anyone is up for a ride and or guide we'd enjoy the company! Thank you all for the advice!

mtbr member
    Our group had a great time in SE Mass. Borderland and Vietnam were everything we could have hoped. Technical and very challenging but still really fun! We went to F Gilbert on Sunday and a local rider pointed us in a direction that took us way over our skillset. (I think it was the green blazed trail.) If you add in that we had ridden hard for two days and partied hard for three nights, it's needless to say, that we did a lot of walking on Sunday!

mtbr member
    Next time make the time for Massasoit, Otis, and deluxbury.
    Additionally, there's some really nice stuff on the south side (copicut) of Freetown, and if you venture 10 more minutes down the road, the Moe in tiverton, which is essentially south Fall River.