Thinking of new bike need help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Thinking of new bike need help

I live on the cape so I ride the normal trails around here(willow street and the great western sandpit are my go to because they are so close) but I would like to visit places like vietnam. I have an entry level hardtail right now and I have been getting better over the past months. I am starting to catch air on downhills and the thought of doing some drops has entered into my head. I don't plan to go crazy as I need to go to work in the morning sans broken bones.

My main question is with everyone here knowing our riding conditions, what should I be looking for in my next bike? I am guessing I probably want full suspension for the drops and to smooth out those rooty trails. I am a big guy 5'11'' 200lbs I have a short inseam and like to be comfortable on stand over height(i know that isn't how I should size a bike). I want something that can climb decent but also handle the abuse I will eventually be giving it. I like the Specy FSR XC (do the make it anymore?) based on it stand over height and price. I am very open to any suggestions and I really don't want to spend more then 1500 but if I find the perfect bike I might be willing to go 2k.

mtbr member
    Joe,

I'd advise that you not put standover as a key selector for your next bike. Lots of other factors matter a lot more than being able to put 2 feet on the ground with the bike upright. You never fall that way, and most of us don't dismount that way.

Ride position, comfort while seated, and cockpit feel are much more important. Based on your description of your build, you will likely be more comfortable on a bike tending toward XC race geometry as opposed to more Trail/All Mountain which might leave you feeling cramped.

Demo all the bikes you can to see what feels right to you.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I would say somewhere between AM and XC, a "trail bike" would be the ideal bike for the Cape. I have a more burly 6" all mountain bike with light parts, but a 4" travel bike would be plenty of suspension for anything I've seen here. I also have a hard tail and it's actually a better choice than the all mountain bike in most cases I come across. I ride the 6" bike all the time because it is so much damn fun to go down on and turning is great as well. It's fun to tune the shock for different sections and whatever. Plus I can now climb well on it - but it's ****in hard on a heavy 1x9.

I think a lot of it depends on the rider too. It's personal choice how you approach the riding and equipment. Is it your way to get cardio, or would you like to session one drop or berm 10 times? So many guys I see seem to be on a strict timer, trying to do their loop in shorter time each day, don't really care too much about bike just want to ride etc.. It's all good I suppose, just hard to give blanket advice to all riders in an area.

For example, Sunday I rode alone on the 6" bike with flat pedals. I had so much fun just taking my time and turning the bike. Tomorrow I'm meeting a buddy and we'll use hard tails and clip in. I'm looking at that as a workout honestly.

I do kinda yearn for a bike in between the hard tail and 6". Something like that Spec FSR XC looks like it would be great here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Would a 29er HT be enough to absorb cape trails yet still be able to handle small drops and a little air?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I bet it would, many good riders are loving those 29ers. I would like to try one of those myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just went from a full suspension 26" (Felt Virtue 3) to a hard tail 29er and loving it. If you want a really good deal on a really good bike go to "Bikes Direct .com" I bought the Motobecane 29er Fantom Pro SL about a month ago for $995.00 and the bike rocks. Comes with great components (XTR, XT, Avid Elixor brakes, Ritchey comp, WTB wheels, Rock Shox Reba SL, etc.) This bike compares to a $2,000.00 + bike (Trek/ Gary Fisher) and I guarantee that you will love it. Keep your money in your pocket and buy one of these bikes. They also have titanium frame models for about $2,000.00 (comparable to $4,000.00 bikes) I'm all about taken care of the LBS, but when you are dropping that kind of money why spend more for less. Check it out and HAPPY TRAILS!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    hARD TAIL 29ER-steel or aluminum-preferrably with ability to run 100-14-mm fork (Banshee Paradox is pretty sweet)-any of the budget steel bikes are great as well (on-one, vassago, etc).

If you're under 55 you don't need dual suspension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    So a 29 ht can handle drops and absorb trails well?

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedub917
    So a 29 ht can handle drops and absorb trails well?
    Yes.

banned
    Sep 2008

26, the new 29

i started riding 29ers over 7 years ago and can honestly say that it's so nice to be back on 26. i'm finding 26 to be way more playful, quick, and flickable in many situations techy and what not.

been riding a scott spark 30 carbon with 120mm up front and 110mm rear both lockout, 3x9 drivetrain. have ridden it a bunch on the cape and up where i live in nh and just love it. i never take drops bigger than 3 feet so it's fine for that. 3.9 lb frame including shock and quite sexy.

26, the new 29

rog

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Santa Cruz Heckler...good bike, good company, good times doing drops, singletrack and climbs.

I'm good at crashing
    Seems to me that you are in the market for something in the 130mm-140mm travel area. At
    200 lbs. It would seem to me that a hard tail would be a bit tough on you..unless you have a ton of experience landing softly, which you very well may have. I may be a bit biased but value vs. quallity, there is a great line up from Fuji called the Reveal. It has a rear triangle that is made by Specialized and licensed to Fuji...the parts are all quality components..the range for a 3.0 (the lower end) is about $1,500 and the 1.0 (top end) is about $3,000. but they are all good quality bikes...and one thing that is pretty clear is that you pay for travel. Seems that the less travel a bike has the less it costs..in general...I know there are some 5K 100mm travel bikes out there...but for a stock of the shelf bike that you want to keep around 1,500 on I think you should look into the Fuji Reveal...this is the bike I was personally looking at before my riding took a turn for the bigger stuff...It was suggested to me by a very well respected rider/shop owner/wheel builder on the south shore. He understood I didn't want to pay a fortune for a bike but needed a bike that could handle my 230 lb body and give me a plush ride at the same time....just my opinion.

I would deffinitly take as many demos as possible and go with what suits your wallet and style. Enjoy and good luck....

mtbr member
    Joedub - I have both a FS 29er and HT 29er - happy to let you try out both (the HT is singlespeed, but it'll give you an idea for how it feels). I live very close to West Great Western/Weir and ride there all the time.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by longshanks
    Joedub - I have both a FS 29er and HT 29er - happy to let you try out both (the HT is singlespeed, but it'll give you an idea for how it feels). I live very close to West Great Western/Weir and ride there all the time.
    Thanks I might have to take you up on that. I am at least interested to see how pedalbob effects climbing.

mtbr member
    Thanks I might have to take you up on that. I am at least interested to see how pedalbob effects climbing.
    No prob. I'll bring a shock pump so we can play around with the air pressure a bit. I'm busy this weekend, so maybe next week some time, or next weekend.

IMO, if you think you really might start getting into some drops and doing some Nam trips now and then, I think FS is the way to go. A FS trail bike with the right components will pedal great on the XC trails around here, but then really allow you to enjoy a lot of the stuff at Nam and even the stuff at Otis. For example, my Sultan is a capable racing bike, and I've also taken it to Nam. I probably wouldn't take my HT to Nam if I had the choice.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

JBH
    mtbr member
    Joedub, I live down on the Cape as well and I am of similar build (5'10 200lbs). I have a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper that has served me well for the type of riding you speak of. I don't ride it much anymore because I'm always on my s/s 29er and I am putting it up for sale soon. (To fund my fatbike project) If you'd like to try it out let me know. It may be what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH
    Joedub, I live down on the Cape as well and I am of similar build (5'10 200lbs). I have a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper that has served me well for the type of riding you speak of. I don't ride it much anymore because I'm always on my s/s 29er and I am putting it up for sale soon. (To fund my fatbike project) If you'd like to try it out let me know. It may be what you're looking for.
    Seems a Weir Rd group ride/bike swap is in the making. When are you down here again JBH?

Oh, and I'm thinking of selling the Turner - I want to build a SS racer. My KM will be my fatbike (I'll have fatbike envy of course when I see yours).
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

JBH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longshanks
    Seems a Weir Rd group ride/bike swap is in the making. When are you down here again JBH?

Oh, and I'm thinking of selling the Turner - I want to build a SS racer. My KM will be my fatbike (I'll have fatbike envy of course when I see yours).

Shanks

I'll be down this weekend most likely. I plan on riding Sunday morning early if you're around.

I'm sure you won't have any problems selling the Turner. What are you looking at for a s/s racer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    How much are looking to get for the Turner?

JBH how early on Sunday are you going?
    Last edited by Joedub917; 09-16-2010 at 11:13 AM.

JBH
    mtbr member
    I usually ride around 6 in the morning,

blet drive
    Would a 29er HT be enough to absorb cape trails yet still be able to handle small drops and a little air?
    Banshee paradox all the way bra.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Lol posted this 3 weeks ago and still haven't made up my mind

I'm good at crashing
    what Bikes have you tried out so far? just wondering on what your thoughts are about a few of them...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    To be honest the more I check out prices I am leaning towards used so I haven't been able to check any out. The price difference on used and new is an easier sell to the wife I think. I have been looking at craigslist but nothing caught my eye and I am reluctant to go on ebay because I would really like to ride the bike first. If I have to I will buck up and pay the extra for new if that means I will be able to ride before I buy. I have called a couple local shops and they have nothing that I would want. Which means I have to find time to go off cape which is another problems in itself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If you go off Cape try Simple Living Cycles in Framingham.
    He sells Redline Monocog 29ers new for $350.00
    Good bike for the money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am thinking if I go anywhere it will probably be JRA Cycles.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5
    Banshee paradox all the way bra.
    The P-Dox is PERFECT for all things New England.....Good call JUNGLEKID5......Anybody needs a demo bike let me know.....CF......

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would get a fatbike, great winter/snow bike and awesome on the sand. Then you can convert it to a 29er for the summer. Two bikes in one!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I gotta try one of these fatbikes this winter. What type of room do you need in the chain stays? I have a couple old hard tail frames but they're probably too small.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A fatbike frame is different than the old hardtail frames you have. They take a 100mm BB and have either an offset 135mm, 150mm or 170mm rear end to fit the large tire. They are really fun to ride and not slow or sluggish, They will roll over just about everything and I have climbed up a hill in 6+ inches of snow without spinning the rear wheel (5psi). Haven't gotten the chance to ride it in sand but I'm sure it is just as good.

You could get the Salsa Enabler fork which is made for a fat front wheel and go with a half-fat bike out of one of your old hardtails. Could be fun on a budget.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the info that sounds wicked fun actually.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Heckler, com on man,,,

Quote Originally Posted by GNR
    Santa Cruz Heckler...good bike, good company, good times doing drops, singletrack and climbs.
    You do understand its 2010 right CF.
    Last edited by CRAZY FRED; 10-10-2010 at 06:45 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    hARD TAIL 29ER-steel or aluminum-preferrably with ability to run 100-14-mm fork (Banshee Paradox is pretty sweet)-any of the budget steel bikes are great as well (on-one, vassago, etc).

If you're under 55 you don't need dual suspension.
    I'll take the Paradox over the On-one and the Vassago all day long.....The MUCH shorter chain-stays on the P-Dox is perfect for this area.......I own all three so yes I can say this..Don't get me wrong the other two are nice (The loooong stays on the Vassago make for a VERY stable ride) but going up is a different story..NOW a steel P-Dox..huuummmm now that would be a whole different story....CF.

over my head
    get a 5 Spot or an RFX or a cross between them. Perfect what your original post was asking for. $1800.00 used with good soecs. If you search for a while, I bet you can get it cheaper.

If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You can find leftover Spec Pitch's for around $1400 these days in the area. I'm sure you could find a leftover stumpy for that same price range also.
    Full suspension is nice in this area.

I'm good at crashing
    I know of a well respected shop owner that has a Gary Fisher Hi-fi pro carbon fiber for sale at the very reasonable price of $1,900...super nice bike...as top of the line as you can get. Private message me if you are interested.

I'm good at crashing
    It is a 2009, 19"...I just sent a response to your PM Joe.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwreck
    I know of a well respected shop owner that has a Gary Fisher Hi-fi pro carbon fiber for sale at the very reasonable price of $1,900...super nice bike...as top of the line as you can get. Private message me if you are interested.
    CF.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwreck
    Although it seems like a good deal after thinking about it I think I will kill a CF bike. I lean more towards all mountain riding.
    I think I might take a drive from the cape to serious cycles and get fitted to a bike like I never was when I bought from a shop down here.
    Does anyone have any comment on Serious Cycles? Everything I read is good.

mtbr member
    How much are looking to get for the Turner?
    Hey Joedub-
    Sorry, never saw this. I'd probably sell it for $1650. I think that's a fair price. It's an 08 Sultan, large. It's more of an all-mountain build, though I did pretty well racing on it this year. Just floats over rough stuff and keeps its momentum. I've also had it up at Vietnam and it was great there on the small-to-medium sized stunts.
    Let me know if you want to take a test ride. Sunday mornings are usually pretty open for me, as are weekday nights from 4PM on - except Tuesday.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had the Spesh FSR XC comp, and wanted something better suited for places like Vietnam/Lynn, and even at places for lift served downhill. I got a Specialized Enduro Comp, and it's amazing. It's perfect for places like Vietnam, and while it's not a total downhill sled, it's totally serviceable at ski mountain/Highland-like places. So you might want to go that route. I also ride it on less aggressive trails than Lynn, and it's great. I know it's heavier than an XC bike, but who cares. You get used to it. I'm not trying to race myself.

I got my '09 for 2K, and got it in Jan of this year, just as the calendar turned to '10. So you could probably do similar. That's at the upper end of your budget though.

Also - the Specialized Pitch. Have a riding friend that loves it. It's also characterized in their all mountain family, but it might be a little lighter than the Enduro? maybe more of that XC/all mountain hybrid people talked about on here?

Members who have read this thread: 0