Ten Favorites- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ten Favorites

mtbr member

Ten Favorites

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My Top Five (I have ridden lots of Eastern Massachusetts, some NH and a lot, but not most of Kingdom Trails)

I only included one trail at Kingdom Trails, because if I allowed more then there'd be no room on this for anything else.

5. Sticks and Stones, North Conway (Not much up-and-down and very short, but still has amazing flow and a lot of twists and turns)
    4. F. Gilbert Hills State Forest, Foxboro (Lots of rocky, classic New England trails. Not one trail in particular that stands out to me, all really fun)
    3. Prospect Hill, Wompatuck State Park, Hingham (The smooth downhill trail (I believe the MTB community calls it "Pine Run") is awesome)
    2. Willowdale State Forest, MA (The various, mostly unmapped singletracks are the best. They are smooth and lots of fun)
    1. Tap n' Die at Kingdom Trails, VT (The greatest singletrack I've ridden in New England. End of story)

But Kingdom Trails is not the absolute best trail in the world I've ever ridden. The best I've ever ridden would probably be the Red Trail at Dalby Forest in the United Kingdom. It was basically the best parts of Tap n Die made 18 miles longer.

mtbr member
    Hey Jode, thanks for posting. I've ridden Willowdale, Wompy and Foxboro, and like you would say that I generally enjoyed myself though there wasn't one trail that jumped out at me.

I'll have to check out the trails at North Conway.. I've heard some good stuff about them but never ridden in that area.

And, like you, I felt a little guilty putting so many trails from the Kingdom on the list, but hey... they're that good.

mtbr member
    Hummm... I don't know. I haven't ridden Tap n die this year yet but Troll stroll was awesome. It allows more speed. I'm heading up on Sunday and will do all three (TnD, TS, TT). J-Bar also belongs on that list. Waterbury and Stowe has stuff that is way ahead of anything in MA. I also hear good things about Millstone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That's a good list so far. The KT stuff is, of course, great stuff (and the Tody's Tour, Tap N Die, Sidewinder variety the best of the bunch).

I haven't ridden in North Conway-I really need to get up that way. Single trails and not trail systems...hmmm, ok

1. Hannah Swarton's Remove/ Mormon Hollow Return-Wendell SF
    2. Split Rock Trail -Ascutney, VT
    3. South Ridge Run-Ascutney, VT
    4. Missing Persons-Batchelor St.
    5. The Ring Trail-Dubuque SF
    6. Yokun Ridge, Lennox, MA
    7. The Red and White Trails--Poet's Seat, Greenfield

The Waterbury and Stowe stuff is pretty great--I just don't know the trail names that well. Also, I would name a trail or two in petersham, but again I don't know the names. So many great trails, even if you just pick like one sub region in new england (like central connecticut or central VT).

These threads are always pretty fun

mtbr member
    I love hearing about all these cool trails. I've already got a ton of stuff to try out.

Where is the trail that you mentioned in Wendell located? Is that the one which passes by the scenic overlook, or another part of the park?

Perry Hill = Waterbury. I also hear that Rasta is pretty cool there, but I didn't get a chance to ride that. I think I did get a taste of Burning Spear, which was good, but Jedi was my favorite.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That's a good trail too (the Lookout trail/ M&M)-

the Mormon Hollow/ Hannah Swarton are on the right hand side of the Fire Road you climb up after completing the Nipmuck.

Two thirds up the climb you'll see the entrance for the Mormon hollow-you can enter there or complete the Climb (the rd is called Baker RD btw) and enter the Hannah swarton on your right. There is a bail option on the bottom of both trails where they merge-but basically, they form a challenging (!) ridge line loop-you go down one and up the other depending on choice.

I think it's the most challenging stretch of continuous singletrack (XC challenging that is and not freeride or stunts which is another category of challenging in my book) in the region.

mtbr member
    Just got back from KT. Yea, Tap n Die is better than Troll stroll. But Todys is maybe slightly better. Anyway the new mountain stuff is amazing. Jester is a trip!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    Hey Jode, thanks for posting. I've ridden Willowdale, Wompy and Foxboro, and like you would say that I generally enjoyed myself though there wasn't one trail that jumped out at me.

I'll have to check out the trails at North Conway.. I've heard some good stuff about them but never ridden in that area.

And, like you, I felt a little guilty putting so many trails from the Kingdom on the list, but hey... they're that good.
    It's easier to put KT trails on the list because they're all marked and they all have names.

It's a good list, although I was out in Russell Mills this weekend and I think the Upper and Lower trails are better than the Gnome trail, but that could be because I've never been a big fan of rock climbs and stunts.

And yeah, I couldn't pick out a name in Willowdale, but there's some single track out there in the North-West corner that recently became my favorite place to ride in the greater Boston area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Pine Run in Wompatuck was so much better before NEMBA ripped out all the berms.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wibbly wobbly View Post
    Pine Run in Wompatuck was so much better before NEMBA ripped out all the berms.
    I think you're confused; NEMBA built the berms, and the rangers removed them because some jackasses were building illegal stuff out there. If you happen to know said jackasses, pass on my thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    NEMBA built the original trail.

It was then improved by non-NEMBA people with berms. There were also several b-lines/additions added on as well.

The local NEMBA chapter got all pissy because they weren't consulted and informed park management of the illegal modifications. To ingratiate themselves with park management they removed all the berms and destroyed the secondary lines. They made a big show of rebuilding the "historic" stonewall that was desecrated by the big berm.

The park management in Wompatuck could care less what goes on there and only acted because NEMBA made a big deal about it.

Don't get me wrong, NEMBA does a lot of great things, but this was petty and wasted a lot of time that could have been used to build/improve other stuff. But at least they are now the official representers of wompatuck

mtbr member
    NEMBA probably didn't want to be associated with the illegal building so they told management about it. If they didn't say anything the park would assume NEMBA did the illegal trail building (or at least supported it) and would ruin any relations they had.

The quickest way to get a trail or park closed is to build illegal trails and distroy historic landmarks (that includes stone walls).

mtbr member
    Fav trail: LIZARD KING Bstreet

Also like: Beaver Run - Ludlow Res.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

Black Lion
    not in any order

Upper J-bar to J bar Kingdom Trails
    G-spot School Street
    Sweed Trail, El Sweeney Trail, Beaver Trail, Chicken Soup Lynn Woods
    Cascade, Carr Ridge, Hemlock Trails Bear Brook State Forrest
    Red Dot Trail Greenwood
    Greg's Trail, Sanbourn Trail, Judy Family Trail Ward Reservation
    Demoralizer, BLT Exeter
    Gun Club Trails, Upper Terry trail, No Red Tape Trails, Black Ops, Bronx Trail Harold Parker State Forrest

We are very lucky to have so many great places to ride. New England is the best, Pride!
    Last edited by yogreg; 09-22-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    Voltron