Staying in Marblehead Aug 3-9, suggestions? Guides? :)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Staying in Marblehead Aug 3-9, suggestions? Guides? :)

I'm thinking Lynn Woods but willing to listen.

Me: moderate power / endurance, advanced bike handling skills (not Leech or Berrecloth but I can ride some tricky stuff), good for 3-4 hours of intense riding with frequent stops for water / food / CPR.

Want: fast singletrack, lots of slick rock (by New England standards), modest drops, technical obstacles, rolling jumps, etc. Looking at the MA photo thread, I really like what I see at Lynn, 'Nam and Otis. I don't want to spend all day trackstanding around saplings at 1mph, bashing down stone staircases, doing 8' drops to flat, or playing Baby Whistler on rickety 2x4 contrivances. Flow and tech. Snowboarding and BMX. Variety.

My ride: Specialized Pitch Comp, basically stock or may have a slightly more aggressive fork by then but unlikely. I'm happy to push the envelope of my skills and my bike, within reason. I'll buy shin guards but not a body armor suit, if that's any indication.

So I'll be in the area looking for a great place to spend a half day or a couple of places to spend 1-2 hours. I'd love to hook up with some locals if anyone's patient enough to wait a little on the climbs. I'll get there - just not first. A round on me afterward if time/place allow.

Also, what are some good tires for Lynn and Vietnam type areas? I'm having mixed results with the Eskar Sport tires on my Pitch and wouldn't mind swapping them out for something better - burly trail tires, not DH tractor meats. I like the look of the Continental Diesel Pro 2.5. Fat tire, chunky angular knobs, 750g or so. Suggestions appreciated.

mtbr member
    Bump from 1/4 down the page and to clarify:

If I'm in Marblehead for a week and can only ride one or two days, should I just stick to Lynn Woods?

Thanks!

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Lynn woods is great. Not a far drive from Marblehead either. Check out Dieselbikes.com and you can get a trail map. From the ball field parking lot the right side of the reservoir is the more technical side. From there you can link up a good ride.

As for tires I run Nevegals 2.35 they work well.

mtbr member
    OK, so I'm in Marblehead, and a buddy from Western MA is going to drive out and meet me this week to ride Lynn.

How are the trails? Has all the rain caused any damage?

I may go out on the Tues PM group ride from The Naked Fish. The Diesel site says the group rides are pretty mellow.

mtbr member
    The trails at Lynn are fine now. There are some muddy spots but overall it's been draining real well. Another place to check out is Harold Parker. It's a bit more on the flowy techy XC side where Lynn is more on the "All Mountain/freeride" side of things. For all trails I'd recommend tires on the beefier side. Lots of rocky/rooty stuff going on here.

mtbr member
    Holy sh**.

CRAZY FRED got ahold of me via PM and hooked me up with his crew of goons. Guys - Fred, John, Dave, Dan, Scott?, Swede? and the other guys whose names I forget - thank you so much. I had a blast and can't wait to ride there again. Maybe later in the week, or for sure next time I'm in SE New England.

I can't say enough good things about Lynn Woods. The place is insane, and I'm guessing we just scratched the surface. So rad.

Thanks again guys, especially Fred for reaching out and hooking me up with the group.

John, if you're reading this, PM or email me. I have a question for you.

mtbr member
    May 2006

This is what MTB is all about(or at least it should B)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz541
    Holy sh**.

CRAZY FRED got ahold of me via PM and hooked me up with his crew of goons. Guys - Fred, John, Dave, Dan, Scott?, Swede? and the other guys whose names I forget - thank you so much. I had a blast and can't wait to ride there again. Maybe later in the week, or for sure next time I'm in SE New England.

I can't say enough good things about Lynn Woods. The place is insane, and I'm guessing we just scratched the surface. So rad.

Thanks again guys, especially Fred for reaching out and hooking me up with the group.

John, if you're reading this, PM or email me. I have a question for you.
    If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times,the only thing I like better than riding is turning someone on to Lynn (or any of the other fine riding spots we are so lucky to have local access to) for the first time.I had a great ride and more fun than I've had in a while.Andy it was an absolute pleasure to have met and rode with you.We MUST do it again A.S.A.P. Oh BTW this dude could ride. CF...(and we only covered a fraction of that place)But we covered it WELL...

mtbr member
    I'm usually the one dragging n00bs around at home. It was good to be pushed and challenged by a group of very skilled, yet very down-to-earth riders.

These guys were all very serious riders with a lot of money invested in highly custom rides (Nicolai, Foes, Sinister, and omfg that Black Sheep Ti 29'er soft tail!). But other than some friendly ribbing about riding a Specialized, there was no attitude whatsoever (I'm sure if I had shown up on a $500 bike from a less Mc-Supersize company, I wouldn't have heard a thing about it. ).

And there's nothing like having your ass handed to you by a wicked new trail system to shock you out of your comfort zone and show you your weaknesses. I needed it.

Thanks again, guys.

Members who have read this thread: 0