SPRING Riding Conditions 2011!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

SPRING Riding Conditions 2011!

It's time we replace the Winter thread.... I rode Ames Nowell twice last week. I had to walk around some very wet spots down near the pond. But climb a few yards and head out past the power lines and there are some great conditions. Mixing the moist ground in with the sand of the power lines was a beast, but all in all a great ride and dry conditions.

I will echo what others say and remind everyone to stay off the wet trails. The constant pounding of a muddy trail will erode it as well as leave deep tread laden ditches that will make for poor riding in the late spring through fall when the ground is dry. Waiting a few weeks will make all the difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I hiked around Wompatuck last Friday (3/18) and the trails were mostly dry and in great shape. Definitely some standing water and some down branches but 95% of the place is ridable. I plan on going there this weekend to kick off the season.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone been to HP?

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by hcklr
    Anyone been to HP?
    Sherpa2000 has been.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    I'm still riding the Cape because conditions are so good.
    Anything north of Boston rideable?
    Willowdale, Russel Mill?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    Russell Mill still has snow. Mostly on the trail due to all the snowshoe traffic.
    Barry

mtbr member
    Willow is getting there but not yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looking at hitting trail sunday the third of april i live in southern maine, is anything good to go down near you guys?
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

over my head
    anyone been to Nam?
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

mtbr member
    If your thinking of riding in the Pioneer Valley - think road bike. Still snow in the woods at Batchelor Street, and deep mud in the valleys.

Head south or east another hour at least for another couple of weeks.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rode Wompy early today. The parts that are muddy during the middle of the summer were flowing like a river today, and other parts were a little damp. The ground was frozen early this AM, so the riding was great, but as it warms up it will need a week or two to dry out. Overall a great ride though.

P.S. I was on the east and north sides of the park, I imagine the south side is in worse shape as that tends to sit lower and stay wet longer.

mtbr member
    Foxboro was riding fine on Sunday. A couple of stream crossings but otherrwise dry and firm.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Good job! Blue Hills, HP, Willowdale

Rode Blue Hills last weekend, nice and dry, only occasional soft spot.
    Harold Parker still has a few remaining snow drifts and stream crossings, but overall not bad. Get smacked by lots of overhanging trees from the heavy snow... my buddy wound up with a tick on his penis lol.
    Willowdale - good shape overall, the pond crossing has a tree across it that is not hoppable. Some guys made a crazy 6ft drop out there near the little roller-coaster hill. I won't be hitting that - ever...
    Can't wait to hit Holyoke, may try this weekend.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by the remedy
    Harold Parker still has a few remaining snow drifts and stream crossings, but overall not bad. Get smacked by lots of overhanging trees from the heavy snow... my buddy wound up with a tick on his penis lol.
    So, which one of you found the tick?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Pretty safe to assume it was him...
    Last edited by the remedy; 03-30-2011 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bullymadison
    anyone been to Nam?
    I rode there last weekend and it was muddier than expected but trails were still in great shape. A lot of obstacles and some trail sections were roped off due to mud I imagine but most of the area was still solid. Should be primed after all this sunny weather lately.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Rode LDTF yesterday, trails were mint, almost like dry fall conditions, singletrack was even dusty, double track still had some ice on em. did 7 miles last night.

One for all, all for ZERO
    May 2009
    What is LTDF?

Wong Way
    Any ideas about Bear Brook State Park in NH?? I wish they could focus on lost trail and some of the more southern trails in the park, they need A LOT of help!

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by A1Zero
    What is LTDF?
    Lowell Dracut Town Forest, I believe. I've never been there, but I hear great things.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by A1Zero
    What is LTDF?

Lowell-Dracut-Tyngsboro State Forest

mtbr member
    yes, lowell/dracut. about 10-11 miles of singletrack, linked by doubletrack, alot of cool features, tons of rollers, drops, rock gardens, etc.... One of the best places IMO in southern NH northern MA. I live 10 minutes from bear brook, I can tell ya it ain't even close. Maybe the higher elevations trails like carr ridge etc.. but everything low I would guess is no good.

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005

Lowell Dracut

We did alot of dranage in the fall as well as removed the leaves from the singletrack. I have cleared most of the drains/removed two big trees and some stick removal yesterday. We plan on more work this weekend if it just rains. Rip, enjoy and repeat!

Class Clown
    well well nothing like some April snow, good time to get the ole' bike ready

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Willowdale was great today, the single track sections are clear and in great condition; its the fire roads that still have a little snow and fallen trees/branches. The ground is a little soft but not muddy at all.

mtbr member
    I can vouch for Willowdale too. I was just there Sunday, April 3rd. It's in really great shape. There was only one little 20 foot section of snow on all of Blue loop that I encountered. The pond/dam crossings are a little scary as one of them is under considerable water. My bike was in nearly up to its hubs. I also observed the big downed tree mentioned above.

Otherwise, it's in great shape - not really even a whole lot of mud. I did notice a new reroute marked with red flags too.

I saw lots of bikers out today too! I usually ride it counter-clockwise. Is that typical?

mtbr member
    what type of riding is willowdale? is it mostly flat an fast, or does it have some elevation to it? is there a map anywhere?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas
    what type of riding is willowdale? is it mostly flat an fast, or does it have some elevation to it? is there a map anywhere?
    Mostly flat flowy singletrack w/o much elevation to speak of but with some good hills involved. The state puts out a map but only really shows the fireroads. It's good to have as a first timer as it's very easy to get lost. Look up Willowdale State Forest for the map.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got lost off my ass there last fall lol! I did two circles, two seperate times trying to get out.
    Confusing as hell, but for smooth fast singletrack it was fun.
    Bring the map...
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I went to Bradley Palmer yesterday - the trails were a healthy mix of dry trail, snow covered, muddy, and totally submerged.

mtbr member
    I used Google's "My Tracks" app on my Android phone and recorded my ride at Willowdale on Sunday.

Try clicking this link and see if you can see my route:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...ef053&t=h&z=14

That place is indeed confusing. I'm not sure myself if I'm hitting the entire trail - and I've been riding out there for two years! It's tough because the mtn bike trail often runs out onto the fire roads and then picks up 30-50 yards further up the fire road.

The App says I did almost 2500 vertical feet. I tend to doubt that and I don't think the phones are very accurate with altitude. But the trail has a lot of little 10 and 20 foot rises in its flow and there are a couple hills.

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Borderland

Nice and dry for the most part. No mud to speak of other than the usual spots.

mtbr member
    Does willowdale have any features? Or is it simply smooth fast singletrack an fireroads? Any good drops jumps etc...?
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    Willowdale is the closest to Kingdom Trails like riding that i have rode outside of KT.

The technical parts are few and far between. It is a great ride though. Grab a map and try and stick to the perimeter route. I was able to find may way around with just a map on my first ride there.

mtbr member
    If anyone is interested in a group ride or learning the trails at Willowdale. There is a regular Monday night ride, ride starts at 5:30 right now. Then beginning on May 2nd the rides begin at 6. Info Here. We'll be there tonight at 5:30

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Rode Wompatuck this past weekend - mostly in great shape, with a few wet spots.

mtbr member
    is this the same willowdale that we're talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZW3DVxJeDE

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Yeah same place, there's not much of that stuff though.

mtbr member
    where abouts is that kind of stuff in the trail system? Does anyone have a good suggested route to go? thinkin of tryin willowdale on saturday afternoon

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was hiking in the Middlesex Fells last Saturday- great conditions (Rock Circuit Trail area). Saw one mountain biker out but I think it doesn't officially open for biking until later this week. I'm looking to get some time on the Loop this weekend on the new bike.

Wendy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wthurman
    I was hiking in the Middlesex Fells last Saturday- great conditions (Rock Circuit Trail area). Saw one mountain biker out but I think it doesn't officially open for biking until later this week. I'm looking to get some time on the Loop this weekend on the new bike.

Wendy
    Opened to riding April 1st.

I should be out there Thursday to shake down the new ride.

Class Clown
    I've been to the Fells a few times in the past week, it's about as dry as it normally gets except for the usual low spots.

mtbr member
    The ramps and jumps section of Willowdale is down in the southeast corner just about where you pop out onto a fire road.

mtbr member
    Hit the Fells last night, the rivers are running, but the trails weren't as muddy as I expected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NSrider
    If anyone is interested in a group ride or learning the trails at Willowdale. There is a regular Monday night ride, ride starts at 5:30 right now. Then beginning on May 2nd the rides begin at 6. Info Here. We'll be there tonight at 5:30
    The site says for novices... how novice is novice?

I am interested so I can learn the park (I live 20 minutes away), but I ask to see if I should convince my girlfriend to join. She's the novice to mtb.

Maybe I'll go myself the first ride and see.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona_CT
    The site says for novices... how novice is novice?.
    Ahhh, the million dollar question. It really varies from week to week depending on who shows up. We get true beginners sometimes, in which case we can adjust the ride or split up into different groups.

It's really a great group of people who regularly show up, including 2 or more women if that makes a difference to your girlfriend. My wife who just started riding last year is one of the regulars. She always likes when someone slower than her shows up .

The reality is, this is the best time of year for true novices to start getting into these rides. As the regulars get into better shape the rides can get faster, and a bit more intimidating.

Hope that helps, just bring her along. Pretty sure she'll have fun!

Scott

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NSrider
    Ahhh, the million dollar question. It really varies from week to week depending on who shows up. We get true beginners sometimes, in which case we can adjust the ride or split up into different groups.

It's really a great group of people who regularly show up, including 2 or more women if that makes a difference to your girlfriend. My wife who just started riding last year is one of the regulars. She always likes when someone slower than her shows up .

The reality is, this is the best time of year for true novices to start getting into these rides. As the regulars get into better shape the rides can get faster, and a bit more intimidating.

Hope that helps, just bring her along. Pretty sure she'll have fun!

Scott
    Yeah, I knew it was a loaded question.

Maybe if she goes I can get her hooked and off the dept. store bike and onto a real bike.

Thanks for the input! I'll pitch it to her and see. You guys seem like a good group to ride with.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    May 2010

Blue Hills

Rode the Blue Hills Monday, relatively dry although more muddy/wet spots than ideal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona_CT
    Yeah, I knew it was a loaded question.

Maybe if she goes I can get her hooked and off the dept. store bike and onto a real bike.

Thanks for the input! I'll pitch it to her and see. You guys seem like a good group to ride with.
    Ooof, a dept store bike? Even Willowdale could be tough on that. Definitely don't want to intimidate her.

If you go to the NEMBA website they are doing a clinic type thing for girl riders. There are 7 or so rides sprinkled across the weekends at various parks. I'm hoping to get my GF to these, even though she is beyond a beginner. It would be nice to see random women riders getting together and encouraging each other. Because if your girl is like most, she isn't going to listen to your advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    Ooof, a dept store bike? Even Willowdale could be tough on that. Definitely don't want to intimidate her.

If you go to the NEMBA website they are doing a clinic type thing for girl riders. There are 7 or so rides sprinkled across the weekends at various parks. I'm hoping to get my GF to these, even though she is beyond a beginner. It would be nice to see random women riders getting together and encouraging each other. Because if your girl is like most, she isn't going to listen to your advice.
    Cool. I saw the "Ride like a girl" rides. Believe it or not, but she'd rather have me there than off on her own.

I'll forward that link to her and I'll probably hook up with one of the early rides on my own to see what it's like.

This is my first full riding season back in MA so hopefully I'll run into people!
    --NC

Members who have read this thread: 0