Southern New England Trunkline Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Southern New England Trunkline Trail

The Southern New England Trunkline Trail runs from Franklin MA to Douglas MA, then supposedly on into Connecticut. Google search leads to sporadic bits of information, but a common theme seems to be that sections of the trail are missing (bridges, etc) or not directly linked together.

Has anyone ever ridden the entire trail? Is it worth it?

Better yet... anyone have a GPS track for their ride showing the detours?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The section by Douglas State Forest sucks. It's completely blown out from years of abuse from quads, and isn't worth riding. You would be much better off hitting the trails in Douglas SF.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks... I didn't think it would be a normal ride spot, I was just wanting to try something different and wondered if it was in fact a continuous trail end to end.

There's sooo much good singletrack in the area, the SNETT would be a one-time trip just for grins.

Anyone?

mdc
    mtbr member
    I rode the section from Rhode Island over to Douglas SF a few years back. Its pretty much a 20+ ft wide abandoned train track, perfectly straight, on a loose sandy base- not my idea of fun. If you are really motivated to check it out use a Pugsly or get some really high volume tires.......

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've wanted to do an overnight end-to-end from Franklin to CT with a BOB and such. I did a test ride and I started Franklin...it was fun for a few minutes but then straight and riddled with ATV wear. I made it a few miles, then turned around.

I'll probably try it someday after I've ridden everything else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GNR View Post
    I've wanted to do an overnight end-to-end from Franklin to CT with a BOB and such. I did a test ride and I started Franklin...it was fun for a few minutes but then straight and riddled with ATV wear. I made it a few miles, then turned around.

I'll probably try it someday after I've ridden everything else.
    What's a BOB?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    OK... two bad reviews and radio silence since, tells me that trying to ride the SNETT isn't a great idea after all. Oh well. Glad I posted and saved myself a day of misery pushing the bike through sand. Thanks, and see you out on the NICE trails!

mtbr member
    A couple of years back we did part of the Bay Circuit Trail. It was about 40 miles of point to point riding. It was pretty fun as it goes through Harold Parker and Willowdale. There was a bunch of road and it wasn't very well marked but I enjoyed it for the most part.

The BCT is a great ride. To make it longer you can come up through Concord/Acton/Carlisle/ and through Russell Mill. There is a substantial road section then you want to rejoin it at Deer Jump in Andover. From there you can follow it through various North Andover properties through Ward Hill/Hp and on to Willowdale or keep going through Hamilton/Wenham and the Cape Ann stuff.. I tried this a few years ago trying to get a 100 mile ride but pulled the plug on that adventure in HP due to excessive heat/humidity and deer flies. It was a long ride home. I thought about trying it again using HP as an overnight camp spot but haven't gotten around to it.

Another great ride is the North South trail across Rhode Island. We started at Buck Hill in Massachusetts and followed it to Burlingame. It was 80 miles and we did it in one day. Lots of road sections that were enjoyable. You could split this ride up and camp in Arcadia.

mtbr member
    I've ridden the SNETT from Franklin to Blackstone and Douglas SF to the CT line and also in the other direction to about Uxbridge. As others have said it has been used by ATV's and it shows. There are tons of whoops, giant mud puddles and trees down on the Franklin to Blackstone section.

In Blackstone there is a section that ends in a Housing development or something and you have to ride on the road to find the trail again. We couldn't find it (though we probably didn't do enough research on it in advance).

In the Douglas area the trail was much more "official" looking and it was in better shape. There was still evidence of ATV use, some pretty flooded areas and the surface is loose and sandy.

I have also walked the section in Millville at the Millville Lock, that would be a short section for biking as it ends at a river with a deckless bridge (there is an active/intact RR bridge below the SNETT bridge).

We rode the trail as pretty much a one time thing just to see what it was like. There are some old foundations from the SNETT and Grand Trunk RR in the Douglas SF section and the Millville section that are neat and there is a place to swim in Douglas along the trail. There is an old granite marker at the CT line and a hiking trail that goes off of the SNETT that leads to the tri-state marker (MA, RI & CT)

Also, a friend of mine has ridden the trail in CT (it's called the Airline Trail there but it is the same thing). He said that it is a finished rail trail there.