South Shore Areas/Wompy trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

South Shore Areas/Wompy trails

Hey been riding for a little while now, Wompy isn't far for me at all, just wondering if anyone knows of some cool trails in there for a noob to get some riding in, as well as some technical stuff for fun. Also wondering if there are any other good/hidden gem areas on the South Shore area as well as out near Newton maybe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you go to the DCR website and download the trail map for Wompatuck (www .mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/wompatuck.pdf), the following list of trails will get you into just about all of the good riding on the campground side of Union Street. I suggest you print out the map and highlight the trail like a connect the dot puzzle. I find that this route will take most novice riders anywhere from two to three hours to ride.

Starting in the headquarters parking lot, bike towards:
    NW1, NW2, NW7, NW6, NW5, W1, W2, W3, S1, S2, S3, S4, S10, S11, S32, S29, S28, S27, S26, S25, S24, S23, S16, S15, S14, S13, S9, S7, S5, S4, S3, S2, S1, W3, W2, NW11.

Then play around in the area surrounded by:
    NW8, NW9, NW10, NW12, NW13, N7, N8 (some of the locals call this area the “playground” due to the jumps, drops, skinnies, and teeter-totters).

Make sure you print out a map and bring it with you, the last time I went to Wompatuck (late August) there were no maps available at the headquarters. Also, take advantage of the Mount Blue Spring if it is open.

As for other riding areas, check out the NEMBA website and look in the “riding zone” page for the “places to ride” tab. I would have linked to the site but I’m still not up to the required ten posts yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the loop idea, I actually grabbed a couple of maps at the main parking lot (on the left when you first pull in), I ride mx as well so the basics as far as going into the woods are all the same. Next time I go, aka sometime over the next two days I will definitely try out that loop you mentioned. I've been poking around the nemba site, in the forums and the riding zone area and am trying to figure out which area might be worth the drive such as Vietnam, the Fells, etc.

mtbr member
    Hey Sull,

Check out this FB group (South Shore Mountain Biking).