Snow.......- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 42 of 42

Thread: Snow.......

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fatboy43's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    166

    Snow.......

    How many people here are sick of all this snow! No time in between storms for the trails to set up. I might have to buy a trainer!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    199
    Buy some skis instead.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iceboxsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    Buy some skis instead.
    What he said.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thecanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Snow.......

    I'm headed to Scottsdale and sedona until the end of April. Hopefully the snow will be melted by the time I come back.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fatboy43's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    166

    Snow.......

    If I wanted to ski I prob wouldn't be *****ing on a bike forum

    We have 5-8" coming Thursday and another foot this weekend. You'd think it would be the perfect weather for a recently purchased fat bike. Ironic.

  6. #6
    Broken Hipster
    Reputation: Barman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    821
    Fatter tires...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    576
    I hear that, living in Worcester we have the most snowfall out of any city in the country this year so far. I like snow but give us a chance to ride it a little before we get dumped on again. Spring is going to be such a mess.

    -Nolan

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fatboy43's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    166

    Snow.......

    Your right Nolan. Between everyone's basements flooding and the trails it's going to be sloppy.

    It's been so cold as well that the snow is like dust, it just doesn't pack down quick enough before the next snowfall

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    800
    don't even start talking about basements. I fear the day that it finally hits 45 degrees. my house is probably going to float away.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy43 View Post
    If I wanted to ski I prob wouldn't be *****ing on a bike forum

    We have 5-8" coming Thursday and another foot this weekend. You'd think it would be the perfect weather for a recently purchased fat bike. Ironic.
    Good point. But -

    I got into MTB to keep busy between winters. I think skiing and riding really compliment each other very well.

    With Alpine Touring getting so accessible these days, you can even get the uphill/aerobic experience with the kick-a** downhills.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iceboxsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    Good point. But -

    I got into MTB to keep busy between winters. I think skiing and riding really compliment each other very well.
    I got into XC because its the most kick-ass workout I can get. And striding along in a quiet snowfall is on par with cruising singletrack.

    But what do I know, my local riding buddies have confused looks when I go for a run, or spend the day paddling instead of riding, or go backpacking for a long weekend, or hit the local boulders for a sesh.

    Sure, its a mountain bike forum. But I'm a recreationalist.

    Its all about playing outside, fat tires or skinny skis.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post

    Its all about playing outside, fat tires or skinny skis.
    Dude! Get with the times! Skis are fat now, too!

    Seriously - gotta get on some pow skis if you haven't tried them yet. At least 100 mm underfoot.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

  13. #13
    mdc
    mdc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    413
    i bought a set of Altai Hok skis a few seasons back and literally look forward to snow. They are short (125cm), wide skis, with a built in climbing skin and steal edges. Perfect for using on Mtb trails all winter. They climb remarkably well, and have pretty good float on the downhills. I had their universal binding last year and swapped it out for a three pin binding with tele boots- awesome...

    Altai Skis

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    i bought a set of Altai Hok skis a few seasons back and literally look forward to snow. They are short (125cm), wide skis, with a built in climbing skin and steal edges. Perfect for using on Mtb trails all winter. They climb remarkably well, and have pretty good float on the downhills. I had their universal binding last year and swapped it out for a three pin binding with tele boots- awesome...

    Altai Skis
    After hours of snow shoeing in this deep stuff those look like a blast. Any recommendations for size? I am 6'1 210...
    How are the downhills with the 125's?

  15. #15
    mdc
    mdc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    413
    If your looking for more of a snowshoe alternative that you can slide down hills- the 125s are perfect. If your looking for something more "ski- ish" I'd get the 145s. I'm 6 ft and about 175, and have a blast on the 125s. At 210 you might want to consider the 145s for added float. If in doubt call the company- they're US based which is nice....

  16. #16
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,455

    Snow.......

    I've been debating a pair of these. My local shop sells them. I think they'd be a lot of fun in my backyard. I wonder whether I'd want to mount 3-pin/removable cable bindings or Switchbacks.

  17. #17
    mdc
    mdc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    413
    The universal binding is great for simplicity purposes. Hop in with your hiking boot and go. They do not provide the support of a good hard shell boot, and for me I really like finding the biggest hills around, skiing up, and skiing out. The other nice thing about the Universal binding, is that you can let your buddies try them out n problem. For what it's worth I'm using a Voile 3 pin binding and Scarpa t4 boot ( which are awesome).

    I actually bought the 3 pin/ boot setup for a pair of Marquette Backcountry skis Santa brought me this year. So far I am not loving the Marquettes. They are much slower sliding than the Altai, and MUCH heavier. They do float in powder, but you need some serious pitch to get them up to speed. I think once the snow ices up a bit the Marquettes will be great, but so far I'm loving the Altais....

    https://marquette-backcountry.com

    ( and yes I have a gear problem- but compared to buying bike parts XC ski stuff is cheap! The Marquettes are about $180- much cheaper than buying a fat bike!)

  18. #18
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,455
    Thanks for the comparison.

    My current BC touring setups are Atomic Rainiers with Voile 3-pin/cable (although I never use the cable) and Karhu Guides with Voile Switchbacks. For boots I have a pair of Fischer BCX875 and Scarpa T2X. Since I'm already used to honking around in the Scarpas, and they're warm and comfortable, I'd lean that way. I really debated getting a pair of T4 boots, and if I ever did, I imagine they'd work with the Switchbacks just fine.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,956
    I just picked up my first set of XC skis tonite (some 329 dollar Alpina 'backcountry' package from the local shop). Went out for 2 hours breaking trail around the local lake with a buddy and a few beers by moonlight. Had a helluva good time. I'm whupped.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I've been debating a pair of these. My local shop sells them. I think they'd be a lot of fun in my backyard. I wonder whether I'd want to mount 3-pin/removable cable bindings or Switchbacks.
    May I ask where they are selling them locally? I found them online but wouldn't mind seeing a pair up close.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,877
    I can't get enough of the snow. I've got a few sets of xc skis for different conditions. My Karhu 10th Mountains (now called Madschus Epochs) are on the fatter side, climb, float and break trail well, and can carve a turn They're 195's so they aren't too bad going straight ahead either. They have a side cut and metal edges. Voille 3 pin cable bindings with Rossignol BCX 11 boots provide some great stability. This set up just loves the steeper downhills. For the mellower terrain and more packed trails I go with Rossignol BC 65 skis, Rossi BCx2 boots (not recommeded) and NNN BC bindings.

    Once you get the hang of the kick and glide and start learning how to either do tele turns or shuffle turns, you'll never curse the snow again.

    (good site for info and gear: ors cross country skis direct | discount madshus, rossignol, fischer nordic skis, scott, alpina, salomon boots-bindings, swix poles, wax)

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,045

    Snow.......

    One of you in Ipswich was just on the news. "And now to Ipswich to one of the areas hardest hit" (change video feeds)
    "And yet.......this guy managed to get out on his bike."

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,426
    I love the snow for skiing up in VT but I am itching to ride at home in Boston.

    What's everyone's prediction on when trails with the ridable, dryish and snow free? I would love to be riding by April.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hani1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    237
    As long as March is warmer than it was last year April may be feasible. But most of the woods out in metro west area have a good three feet of snow that needs to melt. Then there is the ice from the packed down tracks.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thecanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Snow.......

    Get a fat bike. The beaches are rideable now.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

  26. #26
    CP
    Reputation: C.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    198
    [gets up on soap box]
    It will be a longer than usual spring thaw this year, and we will all suffer from a real mud season in and around Boston and all surrounding areas that got bombed with all of this snow. The ground in many areas froze so deeply this year, that there have been many reports of frost quakes, which means the frozen layer is very deep this year.

    Trails become muddy because the deeply frozen ground thaws from the surface ~ down as the air temperature warms above freezing. The snow melts but the frozen lower layers of ground below the surface prevent water from percolating into the soil so the surface layers of soil become saturated with water and turn to mud.

    It will be hard to stay off trails until they are all fully thawed and drained. Anybody who poaches muddy thawing trails too early will leave deep tire tracks for all to see, and since the ground wont be fully thawed, the tire tracks will settle and harden in place, leaving a tire rut once the trail is fully thawed & drained. This is the main reason why mud season trail riding is majorly frowned upon...
    [gets off soap box]

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    800
    if we could even get some sunny days once in awhile it might speed up the process. the low temps and it being cloudy all the time isn't helping anything thaw.

    beginning of april might be pushing it. usually on the cape if you can see the dirt it is good to ride. places like Otis don't really get that bury your tire in 4 inches of mud type of stuff, it is only a little greasy on top and that's it. be interesting to see if that is the case this year also.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    800
    does anyone live near nickerson state park? that place is pretty far down the cape. it might be the first place that is good.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thecanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Snow.......

    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    does anyone live near nickerson state park? that place is pretty far down the cape. it might be the first place that is good.
    I'm in Dennis and it's almost as bad down here.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

  30. #30
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by C.P. View Post
    [gets up on soap box]
    It will be a longer than usual spring thaw this year, and we will all suffer from a real mud season in and around Boston and all surrounding areas that got bombed with all of this snow. The ground in many areas froze so deeply this year, that there have been many reports of frost quakes, which means the frozen layer is very deep this year.

    Trails become muddy because the deeply frozen ground thaws from the surface ~ down as the air temperature warms above freezing. The snow melts but the frozen lower layers of ground below the surface prevent water from percolating into the soil so the surface layers of soil become saturated with water and turn to mud.

    It will be hard to stay off trails until they are all fully thawed and drained. Anybody who poaches muddy thawing trails too early will leave deep tire tracks for all to see, and since the ground wont be fully thawed, the tire tracks will settle and harden in place, leaving a tire rut once the trail is fully thawed & drained. This is the main reason why mud season trail riding is majorly frowned upon...
    [gets off soap box]
    Fatbike. Float over the mud. Less trail penetration. I'm stoked for mud season. Even tho the best season for riding is right now. Fatbike. Just sayin.

    rog

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,956
    Do you know how special I am?

    I have a receipt that proves it.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hani1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Fatbike. Float over the mud. Less trail penetration. I'm stoked for mud season. Even tho the best season for riding is right now. Fatbike. Just sayin.

    rog

    I finally bit the bullet on the fatbike this year. My trail gets very well packed with by me and my neighbors snowshoeing and some snowmobile traffic. But with how deep and powdery the snow was my trail bike just kept digging in. Had my first ride last night on a Surly Ice Cream Truck and I am so happy. The bonus is I can ride some during the tail end of mud season this year too.

  33. #33
    CP
    Reputation: C.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Do you know how special I am?

    I have a receipt that proves it.
    lol. ah yes, I forgot that fatbikes are so special they leave no trace...

  34. #34
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by hani1 View Post
    I finally bit the bullet on the fatbike this year. My trail gets very well packed with by me and my neighbors snowshoeing and some snowmobile traffic. But with how deep and powdery the snow was my trail bike just kept digging in. Had my first ride last night on a Surly Ice Cream Truck and I am so happy. The bonus is I can ride some during the tail end of mud season this year too.
    fatbikes really do open up a whole new world of riding possibilities. they are just far more capable year round in many many conditions. wait til summer. they're even more fun on trail, imo. full rigid fatty at 8-9 psi will go places and crawl through tech that skinny tires full susses will struggle thru.

    killer ride up here in maine this am. miles and miles of perfectly packed not too firm snomo trail loops for evah!

    enjoy!

    rog

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,877
    Conditions for xc skiing are great but we could use some more snow. I'm finding some good open woods with hills and bowls for doing downhill laps in Concord. My only complaint is that the packed trails are rediculous near the trail heads with dog schizer everywhere.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,956
    Quote Originally Posted by C.P. View Post
    lol. ah yes, I forgot that fatbikes are so special they leave no trace...
    Is it the bike that's special, or the rider?

    I'm figuring most people are conscientious enough to know that they shouldn't be going out and f'ing up soft trails no matter how much they like their bikes. Then of course, you're going to get a few entitled tools that will just do whatever they want. Fat tires help provide some extra float to compensate for their swollen heads.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  37. #37
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Is it the bike that's special, or the rider?

    I'm figuring most people are conscientious enough to know that they shouldn't be going out and f'ing up soft trails no matter how much they like their bikes. Then of course, you're going to get a few entitled tools that will just do whatever they want. Fat tires help provide some extra float to compensate for their swollen heads.
    oooooh!!!!!!!!

    rog

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    800
    anybody have the low down on a place that might be rideable this weekend. I am talking regular tire bike without studs.

  39. #39
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    anybody have the low down on a place that might be rideable this weekend. I am talking regular tire bike without studs.
    Maybe try miles standish. gets a lot of snow mobile traffic and after a cold night tomorrow, friday and saturday mornings could be ok.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    anybody have the low down on a place that might be rideable this weekend. I am talking regular tire bike without studs.
    I rode Wompatuck on my SS 29er today. Headed out around 7:30. It was work, but doable and a lot of fun. The biggest issues were all the "post holes" from people falling through snow while walking during the warmer days. Oh and the incredible amount of dog crap in the middle of every trail. Riding was manageable until about 9:00 when the air temp got around 34. That made the top layer of snow too soft. Even my friend on a fat bike struggled to keep a line in that stuff.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,877
    Did a metro west ride today and it started out ok on tubeless 27.5 2.4" tires at about 15 psi. A mile into it on some less packed areas my tires were occasionally breaking through the crust. It started getting worse and was exacerbated by post holes which collapsed as I rode over them. The biggest issue was that I was terrified of running into the people that made the post holes. Anyone who thinks it's enjoyable to walk in the snow sinking up to you knees has got to be completely psychotic.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Did a metro west ride today and it started out ok on tubeless 27.5 2.4" tires at about 15 psi. A mile into it on some less packed areas my tires were occasionally breaking through the crust. It started getting worse and was exacerbated by post holes which collapsed as I rode over them. The biggest issue was that I was terrified of running into the people that made the post holes. Anyone who thinks it's enjoyable to walk in the snow sinking up to you knees has got to be completely psychotic.
    Thats me . Not too psychotic, I've just had such severe cabin fever at school that I had to get outside. But yeah, sinking to your knees every fourth step gets sort of old. I just need riding season already.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-09-2015, 04:34 PM
  2. Tracks In The Snow _ Thurs Night Ride!__________ did GM get any snow?
    By HomegrownMN in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-02-2014, 10:08 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 10:25 AM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 11:12 AM
  5. Let it snow
    By FatTireGoose in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.