Santa Cruz Hightower- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Santa Cruz Hightower

Is anyone riding a HT in bony New England gnar? I am currently on a 27.5 Trek Fuel and am looking for something with more suspension. Long, low and slack sounds good for CA, CO and AZ but in Harold Parker and the Fells I'm wondering how it performs on those climbs where you have to take a hairpin at stall speed, or navigating that super low bottom bracket through dragon's tooth rock gardens.

What say you, denizens of MTBR??
    Figuring this all out as I go!

EC3
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I rode HP with mine a couple of times before the last storm. If you haven't ridden a current VPP bike you'll be amazed at how well it climbs. On those short ups it stays planted and steers true. I have a 30T oval chainring and a Monarch Plus shock so that might help.

I do hit my crank arms occasionally but not nearly as bad as the Trek Fuel I demoed last year. Otherwise it pedals really well through all the gnar HP has to offer. Recently rode the stuff on Cape Ann and it ate that up as well.

Overall its a solid frame with not much flex and doesn't wallow in and out of fast turns. I'm pretty happy with the west coast design on the techy NE trails. Get on one if you can find a demo.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments!

No issues with the front flopping over on slow tight climbs? How about the pedal kick-back that Bible of Bike Reviews complained about?

EC3
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Haven't experienced any weird pedal feedback, in fact I like how it reacts immediately when you give it the gas on climbs and is smooth. Rode Turner's for ten years, through all their linkage changes and liked how they climbed. First time on the VPP Tallboy LTC was eye opening, you have to try it to see what I mean. SC has perfected the design from years ago.
    As far as front wheel wander goes, its not something I've had to think about so I guess thats your answer. Haven't worried about popping it up to get on boulders either, seems like the angles are spot on.

mtbr member
    If you'er looking for a squish with less travel, I might have something for ya, Tom.

mtbr member
    Thanks Chip, but I currently have a 120mm Fuel EX that I love, but wanted a bit more travel for the bone yard.

mtbr member
    Brap!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I picked up a tallboy 3 29 last fall. Rides great except in the chunkiest of chunk, where it could use a bit more travel. Just picked up a set of 27.5+ wheels to give that a try too, which is a nice option. Climbs like a goat, carves tight turns well (but does require more lean, which can be tough in really tight trees). I do tend to smack the crankarms more than my old bike (pivot Mach 5.7) but rarely miss the travel.

Perfect bike for the fells, bear Brook, etc. Ripped at KT too, although I didn't ride Burke.

If you're not regularly doing lift served, racing enduro, or hitting jumps and drops, I'd give the tallboy, a 429 trail, a yeti 4.5, or a Ripley LS a try. You'll be shocked how well they ride with so little travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmblur View Post
    Perfect bike for the fells, bear Brook, etc. Ripped at KT too, although I didn't ride Burke.

If you're not regularly doing lift served, racing enduro, or hitting jumps and drops, I'd give the tallboy, a 429 trail, a yeti 4.5, or a Ripley LS a try. You'll be shocked how well they ride with so little travel.
    I'm not doing any lift served or racing. Jumps and drops are on my list, but I'm a rank noob there.

I do ride a lot of the nasty HP gnar with people that are more skilled than me. They are on Ibis Mojos, or other bikes with more travel and I figured it was my turn to get on a serious bike. I love my Fuel but it has it's time and place, neither of which seems to be at Black Ops, etc.

I'll look at the Tallboy, but I found a lightly used HT that has my attention...

mtbr member
    I ride a Nomad which is a lot lower and slacker than a High Tower and I think it's perfect for NE Trails. I can ride everything from tech trails (Harold Parker, Lynn, etc) to more fast and flowy trails (Georgetown, Willowdale,ect) and have zero issues keeping up. The newer VPP bikes have a steeper seat tube angle which helps climbing immensely while maintaining a slack head angle.
    Last edited by Ridge_Rider; 04-06-2017 at 04:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jmblur View Post
    I picked up a tallboy 3 29 last fall. Rides great except in the chunkiest of chunk, where it could use a bit more travel. Just picked up a set of 27.5+ wheels to give that a try too, which is a nice option. Climbs like a goat, carves tight turns well (but does require more lean, which can be tough in really tight trees). I do tend to smack the crankarms more than my old bike (pivot Mach 5.7) but rarely miss the travel.

Purchased a TB3 in the fall and I think it's great for New England single track. I'm coming off a Santa Cruz 5010 and the TB3 just handles it better - then again I'm riding with the plus setup - which almost feels like I'm cheating. I do get more pedal strikes with the bottom bracket being even lower than the 5010, but once I adjusted its been fine. The thing rides like a caddy...just so smooth over the rough stuff and more stable going downhill. Love the bike. I almost never make a mistake on this bike.

DCI
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I ride those areas alot and the new age 29ers are really good in HP and the Fells.... at least according to my Strava times. I think you want a 140mm fork on whatever you go with, seems to be a sweet spot to keep you out of trouble.

Bikes like the Pivot 429 trail, Yeti 4.5, Ripley LS would be at the top of my list.

If you go longer travel, a Jeffsy, Hightower, Yeti 5.5 would be pretty sweet, but weigh a bit more and can be overkill.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Thinking of building a Hightower 27.5+ (3" tires) for mostly nam amd ntf. Anyone ridden one in stuff like that? Im a little concerned about the long stays and wheelbase

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I've got a V2 Bronson, Iove this bike to death..climbs amazingly well and descends with the best of them. I've also demoed the highrower 27..5+ a few times and would be sooo happy with that ride. Makes me wonder if I bought the wrong bike.
    Last edited by badsneakers; 05-27-2017 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Sooo many typos

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Thinking of building a Hightower 27.5+ (3" tires) for mostly nam amd ntf. Anyone ridden one in stuff like that? Im a little concerned about the long stays and wheelbase

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I ride NTF and 'Nam quite a bit on my Hightower. I'll be honest - the long wheel base make it more challenging on trails that require tight ups and downs. I love my Hightower for everything else buts its not a great NTF bike.

On the flip side - the long wheel base makes it a very stable and confident trail bike. I still love it the way to climbs and crushes very hard and steep descents.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    I demoed a hightower up at KT before I purchased the Tallboy3 and thought it was a fantastic bike both up and down. I even set a few personal bests on climbs with it. I was coming off a Tallboy LTa and was looking for something that was a little more efficient climbing for the trails I ride regularly (TOT, Willow, Otis, Duxbury) but still be fun on all of the technical places I like to ride (Vietnam, Foxboro, Big River, Diamond Hill, Lincoln Woods, HP). The Hightower's slack angles and longer wheelbase made it super confident descending but sacrificed some of the playfulness on little jumps and maneuverability in tight slow terrain compared to my LT. The TB3 kept all of those features, climbed like a goat and only sacrificed a marginal amount of cushion in the super chunky terrain.

If I had chosen the hightower I would've run the flip chip in the high setting on 29" wheels to steepen the geometry and raise the BB height a bit. This would make it a little better for the tight techy new england stuff but even in the normal settings it was a fantastic bike. I would recommend finding a shop to demo from as riding the bike is really the best way to find out if it works for you. Bike Barn in Whitman has a fantastic demo program and usually has a Hightower in their fleet.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have seen 4 new HT's in LSF this year. Nothing but smiles and good things to say. One dude let me take his Carbon Hightower for a noodle. Nothing but party town USA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

mtbr member
    I bought my HT 27.5+ a month ago and yes its definitely a game changer. I've beat all of my best times on Stava.

I ride LSF and yes there are a few guys with these rigs out there. Local shop Tomten is selling a lot of them.

My previous bike was a Giant Trance which was super maneuverable in tight corners, okay uphill, but not as planted and confident going DH on the super chunk which is pretty common in Mass.

Santa Cruz Hightower-bikbe.jpg
    Last edited by proecadgod; 07-07-2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Spelling Nazi
    2017 Santa Cruz Hightower 27.5 C S+
    2009 Giant Trance X2 (Sold)