Sandwich Mass- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sandwich Mass

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sandwich Mass

Looking for info on Trails or maps of the area as I am planning a trip at the end of April.

Rog used to ride in this area in the pass, but I am not sure how to get hold of him

Any Help would be appreciated

Frenchy In Montreal

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    go to the barnstable conservation website. You can get a hold of a map of tot there.
    maple swamp has no map that I am aware of.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    no map for maple swamp that I am aware of. TOT map is out on barnstable conservation website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I recorded a long trail over there on my gps I will try to dig it up and shoot you a PM. Basically if you park at the back side of ToT near exit 4 and turn around and go west down the powerlines you can get in on either side. The right side flowed out there pretty well for a nice long ride. Lots of insane climbs out there on both sides! Andy you must love living right out there I can't wait to see the routes you take. Last tiem out there I ran across like deserted cars, a scout, a random golf course or some kind of meadows... a nice variety.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IJBCape
    I recorded a long trail over there on my gps I will try to dig it up and shoot you a PM. Basically if you park at the back side of ToT near exit 4 and turn around and go west down the powerlines you can get in on either side. The right side flowed out there pretty well for a nice long ride. Lots of insane climbs out there on both sides! Andy you must love living right out there I can't wait to see the routes you take. Last tiem out there I ran across like deserted cars, a scout, a random golf course or some kind of meadows... a nice variety.
    Sounds like you were riding close to my back yard..Did you ride by the burned up SUV at all? If I don't feel like driving the truck to the marked areas over by exit 4 I have a nice option...My property includes a section of the powerlines, so I can just go from front door to trail in a minute. I'll ride from my house which is near exit 3 to exit 5 area of the ToT and back...Lots of fun loops to be had, virtually endless variety.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I like that side but I find alot of trails blown out by dirt bikes. This time of year it takes
    a while for things to dry up since alot of the trails are chewed. There are much higher points of elevation over there compared to tot. End of the season last year the town clear cutted a bunch of trails out there for fire safety so there is some unfortunate ss ruined.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I hear you man, the parts right along the edge were rutted out pretty bad, some were fully caved in. There was some hike a bike on the route I took, moreso on the left side - monster kettle holes. There were also some really high hills on both sides like you said. I loved that there was a lot of variety though, and i got some nice long flows on the right side. I'm not Johnny enduro so I sorta prefer to take my time and enjoy the weird ****. I'm so used to riding alone that I just do exactly what I want the whole time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Did you happen to notice that spot over by the water tower that has a newly ridden in section on the high side of one of the kettle holes?
    I don't think it would take much to do the same at the places the MX guys ride up and down over towards the camp.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    We are getting there on thursday, any update on tge conditions of the trails would be appreciated

Tks

Dan

mtbr member
    http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/con...ides/WBARN.PDF

Was in there last thursday and everything was dry. I rode everything east of Crooked Cartway to rt 149.
    I parked at Farmersville.
    TOT is one of my favorite places.
    Try Willow St also. Exit 7 to Mary Dunn Rd is fun crosscountry riding
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Tks

Dan

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Rode today, a couple days to go before you come down, so the possibility of rain is still there. As of right now, it's about as good as it gets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Rode on Saturday every single trail on the barnstable conservation area.... Wow

I am going back next spring

Thanks everyone for your help

Dan

banned
    Sep 2008

Your Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dan001
    Rode on Saturday every single trail on the barnstable conservation area.... Wow

I am going back next spring

Thanks everyone for your help

Dan

ya, i spent countless hours for a couple of winters with backpacks full of milwaukee's marking and cutting miles and miles of trails over there. any long climb with multiple switchbacks were cut by me and a friend. that benchcut above the burned SUV took a few of us a full day to cut in. the moto guys would help us by packing them down, but that's gotten outta hand.

been a good 6-7 months since i've ridden on any kind of dirt. skiing's been too good. maybe this week.

dan, yer english is improving little by little. crazy canuck.

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Rog man,

Glad to see that you are still cranking those turn. You were right this was amazing, also rode Willowdale( equallly nice)

You have to get your bike out and come up to do our ultimatexc race in June.... You would love the venue

Keep me posted

Dan

banned
    Sep 2008

frenchy dan!

Rog man,

Glad to see that you are still cranking those turn. You were right this was amazing, also rode Willowdale( equallly nice)

You have to get your bike out and come up to do our ultimatexc race in June.... You would love the venue

Keep me posted

Dan
    played on the rigid single today and rode back to back rides. 1st ride at willowdale then drove to fort rock on my way home and ripped around there for awhile. all trails in perfect shape. got about 3.5 of riding in. felt like nothing after 50 days on washington this winter at 6-9 hours each. so maybe your little race above the border won't be so ultimate afterall.

we shall see dan, we shall see............june is very early for me tho.

glad you enjoyed "roger's heartbreakers" in sandwich. most folks hate to ride there, and that's the point.

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Most people hate riding where?

I would put a race in a split second... Absolutely loved it on my rigid 34/20

Dan

banned
    Sep 2008
    Most people hate riding where?
    sandwich. i can remember many, many days leading groups over there, and always ending my cape cod 50+ mile offroad rides over there (will be doing more of those this summer btw). folks would just die in there. my pal, paul would always say, "you killed em roger!, they'll never come back."

I would put a race in a split second... Absolutely loved it on my rigid 34/20
    Dan
    a race in there would make most people suffocate on their own vomit. especially if you loop it up right, or wrong, MMMWWWWAAAAHHH!

34-20? fvck man, why bother? tough to average double digits with that grannie combo.

i did your jay challenge race with a 32-18 on my 29er. about the same gear inches as a
    26er with 2-1 (32-16), which was my preferred VT 50 gear ratio. some would think that 32-18 was tall for your race, but the bigger gear usually wins, which it did. miss that race, kinda.

you got my #, lets ride!

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You average double digit speeds in there? That's mental Rog! I do love those trails out there. At the end of some of the more brutal climbing parts there is one long, sweet curvy downhill that wraps down and around one of the big hills that is just perfect. The dirt and vegitation is nice and lush out there. Watch out for ticks out there I got one adult that was lyme positive last week. Seen a lot of deer around this year.

banned
    Sep 2008
    You average double digit speeds in there? That's mental Rog! I do love those trails out there. At the end of some of the more brutal climbing parts there is one long, sweet curvy downhill that wraps down and around one of the big hills that is just perfect. The dirt and vegitation is nice and lush out there. Watch out for ticks out there I got one adult that was lyme positive last week. Seen a lot of deer around this year.
    ya, we put in some nice long (for the area) switchback climbs in there that are plenty steep to send you in the hurt house as once you get to the top it's a few seconds of recovery till the misery starts once again.

most trail networks don't use the full topography of what's available and i wanted to maximize the vert on every kettlehole and moraine out there, unlike trail o tears where a lot of the trails skirt instead of going way up and down. man, trail o tears was a real ***** before the mid 90's. so friggin hard. lot has changed.

and then there's the training loop in brewster. brewster has it's own sandwich and hardly anyone rides it. such a ***** but nice when combined with the nickerson stuff.

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey Rog,

34/20 rule. I do all my 24 hour races on this gear.

Okay, i could probably push a 34/18 but a 16 would be stupid difficult for me

Hey did you forgot i am an old men by now...

No i dont have your # anymore. Yes let's go ride together

Dan

banned
    Sep 2008
    Hey Rog,

34/20 rule. I do all my 24 hour races on this gear.

Okay, i could probably push a 34/18 but a 16 would be stupid difficult for me

Hey did you forgot i am an old men by now...

No i dont have your # anymore. Yes let's go ride together

Dan
    agreed, 34/20 on 29 does have mysterious super powers of balance and acceleration. helps to have the ability to sustain wicked high cadence tho to make up for low gear inches.

603-334-6141

call me at the shop, i'm hardly ever busy

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog
    ya, we put in some nice long (for the area) switchback climbs in there that are plenty steep to send you in the hurt house as once you get to the top it's a few seconds of recovery till the misery starts once again.

most trail networks don't use the full topography of what's available and i wanted to maximize the vert on every kettlehole and moraine out there, unlike trail o tears where a lot of the trails skirt instead of going way up and down. man, trail o tears was a real ***** before the mid 90's. so friggin hard. lot has changed.

and then there's the training loop in brewster. brewster has it's own sandwich and hardly anyone rides it. such a ***** but nice when combined with the nickerson stuff.

rog
    I've gotten to know Nickerson pretty well now and I love it for a smooth ride, the single track part out at the back is so fun to whip through. I found some MX'd out trails across the highway too, but they were pretty straight and easy, but surprisingly fun. There were some trails that went north off of those but I didn't go in there too far.

I can't believe you guys do all that riding on single speeds. I think I will make the old Klein into a ss and mess around on it. I love that I still have so much to learn about this sport!

mtbr member
    I've gotten to know Nickerson pretty well now and I love it for a smooth ride, the single track part out at the back is so fun to whip through.
    I ride TOT a lot and also Willow St.
    I'd like to learn Nickerson, as I live in Dennis and it's close.
    Give me one starting location of one of the trails so I can check it out.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

banned
    Sep 2008

need a guide

Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe
    I ride TOT a lot and also Willow St.
    I'd like to learn Nickerson, as I live in Dennis and it's close.
    Give me one starting location of one of the trails so I can check it out.
    nickerson is the best and most beautiful riding on the cape imo. so much gorgeous scenery and enchanting trails unlike any other around.

a starting location will leave you frustrated most likely. hit up some of the group rides on tues and wed nights to learn the trails. would take you months to figure out a good loop in there.

our old winter loop was 19 miles of mostly singletrack. our fast group could do it in like 1.5 hours. add in the 5 or so mile torture training loop and add another 45 min/hour just for that!

awesome stuff!

rog

p.s. Ivan, we'll hook up for a ride fer sure. maybe the cape cod 50 miler. you'd love it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog
    nickerson is the best and most beautiful riding on the cape imo. so much gorgeous scenery and enchanting trails unlike any other around.

a starting location will leave you frustrated most likely. hit up some of the group rides on tues and wed nights to learn the trails. would take you months to figure out a good loop in there.

our old winter loop was 19 miles of mostly singletrack. our fast group could do it in like 1.5 hours. add in the 5 or so mile torture training loop and add another 45 min/hour just for that!

awesome stuff!

rog

p.s. Ivan, we'll hook up for a ride fer sure. maybe the cape cod 50 miler. you'd love it!
    Who leads the Tuesaday and Weds night rides?
    Is there an intermediate group?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

!snotrocket!
    the guy's from orleans cycle do tues. night ride @ 5:30 from the bike rental lot on 6a. 8-9 guy's with a good pace.

banned
    Sep 2008

wed

530 pm little cliff i'm pretty sure. the same few dudes have been doing this ride that started in the 80's. group size varies by the week. swift pace, but i'm sure they'd like to have you.

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    little off topic but still a big problem on the cape is those damn ticks. how do you know it was lyme positive did you actually get it tested? what made you get it tested in the first place did you come to find it a couple days later?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi Yeah I got it at Nickerson a few weeks ago.

Don't worry about it too much just be aware and check yourself real well. I gassed out and sat down on a loamy trail like a dumb ass and it must have crawled in. It was still sorta cold that day and I had been used to wearing Winter pants but this was the first day in shorts. I didn't wear any deet at all that day, so it was a really dumb mistake. I hardly ever end up with one on me at all, and this was the first actual bite in years and I ride like 3-4 days a week in there, tot & willow st.

It was on a weird spot on the back of my hip and it was an adult deer tick. I found it in bed I rolled onto that hip and felt something that felt like a crumb or something stuck to my leg. I picked it off and decided to turn on the light to make sure it wasn't a tick and it was. I had done the normal routine of shower and clothes right in the washer, and my wife gave me a lame quick check, but I'm certain it was from sitting down for a few seconds that did it, that and no deet.

I had a weird rash not like a target exacly, but the day i went in to the doc they gave me a small dose of doxy and sent the tick off to a lab. I think I picked it up on Thursday and picked it off on Sunday. Usually they walk around on you for a while before the actually bite.

Here is a great site I found with lots of good info -
    http://www.tickencounter.org/

Now I am on 3 weeks of doxy but I still ride just as much, just wear my deet and stay aware. I also sprayed my shoes with Sawyer's spray. Honestly I think deet on the lower legs, and a good check at night is enough. Just keep riding and don't sweat it. I think worrying can drive you mental.

Take care and good riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i don't know if i am a magnet for them or what but i find them all the time. especially when i ride at pinehills(doesn't get much traffic so i think that might be why) during my ride today i flicked 7 off doing quick checks while i was stopped getting some water and then found two more once i got home and did a good check. i had the deet spray on my legs and feet cause that is always the plac ei find them. none of them are ever embedded in since i find them pretty quick. otis has signs for them but i almost never find a tick on myself at otis i think maybe out of the two years i have been riding there i found maybe two.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I know what you mean, Otis seems pretty dry compared to Willow or Nickerson. This time of year I use this 3M Ultrathon stuff that's like thick sun lotion. I think right now until mid June is like maximum prime season for deer tick nymphs then it chills out a bit. July - Nov I just use the all natural stuff.

mtbr member
    the sandwhich mass police cars say "sandwich police" on them and they can legally arrest you for eating a sub or a pizza. messed up but true.

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0