Road Jiminy Peak today - mixed emotions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Road Jiminy Peak today - mixed emotions

I took to Jiminy Peak and came away with mixed feeling about it. The trails are very technical, which I like. But it almost seemed like they were too technical. I am by no means an expert rider, but I wouldn’t consider myself a novice either. I can tear it up at Highland and have a great time. J Peak just didn’t seem to flow. I couldn’t a rhythm going. It just felt like too many 90 degree turns. Also, the trails are not clearly marked, and they are narrow. Almost grown it at some points. For a 2 hour ride I think I’ll skip it the next time. Just my opinion.

Bob

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Did you go on a weekend when the lift to the top was running? Jiminy is definitely more on the technical downhill side. Lots of roots and steep if you head left off the big lift. The other side of the mountain has more of a flow, it took me a few times up there to figure out the right mix of trails. There are some good combos where you can get a good flow especially if you head towards the middle of the mountain near the top of the small lift, plenty of natural stuff to jump off of too if that's your thing.

There are usually groups of regulars riding. If you every make it back, try and hook up with some of the guys, we are always willing to show people around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes, I went to the top. I did find one off to the left but not till I was almost half way down. I'm sure you're right too, the more you ride it the better it is. There wasn't many bikers there also, maybe a half dozen. If i head back I'll be sure to post first to see if I can get some locals to come along.

Bob

mtbr member
    AGREE 100 percent.

I went there also and kinda hated it. I was basically on the brakes the whole time. I ride pretty technical stuff but it was almost to "downhill" if you will. I figured there would've been more of a flow; switchbacks, kinda trails that crossed the mountain a little bit. Mt. Snow looks more like that; but I havn't ridden it yet. There are also a ton of rules at Jiminy - you cant ride any fire roads etc.. I've hiked Mt. Snow and it's not the case there.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Have you guys ridden many DH resorts? The rules at Jiminy are no different than most places, save for maybe Plattekill where just about anything goes. I've found the trails at Jiminy to be on the better side of DH lift trails in the east. Highland is buff and flat, Plattekill or Whiteface are ultra rocky and steep, and Jiminy falls somewhere in the middle, or at least it used to. I'm heading there tomorrow as I've heard there is renewed commitment to trail maintenance (they let the mountain go in the past) but if the trails now are like the trails then, they're going to be pretty fun!

mtbr member
    Well when I went to Mt. Snow to hike, I was talking to the bike guy in the store and you fan pretty much ride anything, designated trails or fire roads. At Jiminy you are restricted to designated trails.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I posted this over at ridemonkey: Jiminy Jammin' - Ridemonkey.com

My ride report from Jiminy. Trails are as good as they ever were. I highly encourage you not to pursue other mountains for lift assisted riding on the east coast, as you are unlikely to like anything besides Killington if you do not like the trails at Jiminy. Trails at Attitash, Snow, Plattekill, Diablo, Bromont, and Whiteface are all very similar to trails you would find at Jiminy. That's not meant to be an insult, the only major difference between Jiminy and the others is that Jiminy has lots of Touristy stuff at the bottom, where you have to stop or slow down.