Riding within hour of Woburn- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Riding within hour of Woburn

I'm going to be visiting family in Woburn this weekend, where's the best riding within 1hr drive? I ride everything from cc single track to all mountain

Thanks
    Rene

mtbr member

Riding within hour of Woburn

Go to the Landlocked Forest in Burlington. Google for info. Excellent trails. Also Mill Pond Reservoir, but hard to find the ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Wanna Ride Bikes?
    Jun 2014
    Willowdale in Ipswich is still my favorite. Print out a map.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/par...wdale-2014.pdf
    Hold my beer and watch this!

EAT MORE GRIME
    Mill Pond Burlington & Sawmill Brook across the street

look up strava segments search/explore to find where the trails are,

have a friggin blast this
    place has more awesome singletrack per sq acre than anywhere else

-noobs will hate it, experts love it-

seriously, cut your 1 hour drive time to 5 mins and just go there

park at the end of town line road, dead end.

then take street to sawmill brook (top of pic) buzz through there 3 miles, then street back to where you parked, go into mill pond area, start by going right to up the hills, then work your way back to the bottom of the pic...and you'll be amazed

it's got tight and tough, a few steep climbs and steep descents (in the bottom of the pic you enter that tight switchback section by dropping off the front of the dam) skinny bridge crossing, lotsa rock grunts, deep mossy woods feel and sandy sunbaked feel. there are like 7 distinct sections each with their own feel. also one long super root section along the pond (right hand of pic, along the edge of mill pond)

annotated with my potato

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 07-31-2015 at 07:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Woburn is within an hour of tons of truly awesome riding.

Harold Parker State Forest. 30+ miles of some of the techiest stuff in MA. One of my favorites, and a bit of a legend around here. Just go get lost, and bring bug spray. You can't go wrong on any of the singletrack, but if you can hear gunshots, you're definitely on the goods.

Lowell Dracut Tyngsborough State Forest. Easy to put in a 14 mile loop here, plus 4 miles of tangled spaghetti in the center of the park. This place is a crapton of fun - a little bit of flow, and tons of big rock features. But it's still easy to keep up a fast pace. It also has a couple DH jump trails, but they're tough to find... check out the Strava global heat map.

Russell Mill in Chelmsford. The builders put more love per foot of trail into RM than anywhere else in the state. Flow, tech, pump track, some climbs, some descents. This place is great, but small. For big miles link it with:

Billerica Town Forest and State Forest - kinda cool, but new and growing.
    Great Brook Farm State Park - decent, easier trails. Ice cream stand.

Georgetown-Rowley State Forest. Can be linked with Willowdale for a big day, but the trails here are more fun, IMO. Slightly more interesting/technical, but still lightening fast.

Willowdale is nice and big. Beautiful property, very nice buff trails.

Middlesex Fells - never been.

Mill Pond - cool spot. Neat Rocks.

Landlocked Forest - worth a ride, but not nearly the best around. Can be linked with some local conservation land, but not really worth it on your first time there.

Probably a bunch more I don't even know about.

EDIT: If you go to any of these places, let me know. I can point you in the right direction. Some starting points are harder to find.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

mtbr member
    Vietnam is in Milford and about an hour away. It's probably the best example of what local builders have done. Lots of technical drops, jumps, rollers. Vietnam, Milford | NEMBA

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Awesome seems like a lot options
    Need to do some research tonight!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    Mill Pond Burlington & Sawmill Brook across the street

look up strava segments search/explore to find where the trails are,

have a friggin blast this
    place has more awesome singletrack per sq acre than anywhere else

-noobs will hate it, experts love it-

seriously, cut your 1 hour drive time to 5 mins and just go there

park at the end of town line road, dead end.

then take street to sawmill brook (top of pic) buzz through there 3 miles, then street back to where you parked, go into mill pond area, start by going right to up the hills, then work your way back to the bottom of the pic...and you'll be amazed

it's got tight and tough, a few steep climbs and steep descents (in the bottom of the pic you enter that tight switchback section by dropping off the front of the dam) skinny bridge crossing, lotsa rock grunts, deep mossy woods feel and sandy sunbaked feel. there are like 7 distinct sections each with their own feel. also one long super root section along the pond (right hand of pic, along the edge of mill pond)

annotated with my potato

That's a great Strava heat map of the place. I live off Chandler and enter by the old pickup. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438382695.515899.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  116.7 KB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^^^ I'm 100 yds from the Wilmington side. New houses are going to be everywhere. Behind the fox hill school and on the old golf course.

mtbr member
    Luckily the Res is all conservation land, so those trails can't be affected. But Saw Mill Brook will never be the same if they build all those homes.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    Luckily the Res is all conservation land, so those trails can't be affected. But Saw Mill Brook will never be the same if they build all those homes.

the climb and 'harbor light' trails should be fine, it is the right hand extended stuff (in the heatmap) that'll get mowed down

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big boss man View Post
    I'm going to be visiting family in Woburn this weekend, where's the best riding within 1hr drive? I ride everything from cc single track to all mountain

Thanks
    Rene
    How is it that Lynn Woods wasn't mentioned yet? It's got to be one of the best places to ride in New England and less than a 30 minute drive from Woburn. The best riding is on the North side, the gravel fire roads make up most of the South side. Parking can be tricky but my suggestion is to drive to the Kelly dealership on route 1 North. Pull right in and drive to the right of the actual dealership building. In back they have a small lot reserved just for Lynn Woods recreation users. Park there and ride up the very uphill paved road to the water tower. Take the trails to the right of the water tower and explore. Here's some maps but I'd suggest taking a few hours and allow yourself to get lost.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us