• 09-01-2007
    dtrek4500
    Riding in the North adams Mass area...
    Hay what's up everyone, I haven't posted on mtbr in a while becasue I have been very busy this past summer, but it is nice to be back. I am going to school and living at MCLA. So I want to know if anyone knows of some trail systems close by and if anyone is also attending mcla. Feel free to respond if you know of anywhere. Talk to you all later.
    Dave
  • 09-03-2007
    dtrek4500
    Anyone, by teh way for those of you who don't know mcla is Massachusetts college of liberal arts.
    Thanks
    Dave
  • 09-04-2007
    redwarrior
    Don't really know anything that far west, but Greenfield Ridge (Rocky Mountain Park) can be fun for a couple of hours.

You could spend quite a bit of time exploring Batchelor St./Earl's in Granby/S.Hadley.
    Here's a link to a map of those trails: http://www.hampshire.edu/cms_html/Holyoke_Range.htm

Also, there has to be something in the Florida/Peru area...

You might also check the VT forum. I bet there are quite spots just over the line.

Good luck,

Red
  • 09-04-2007
    SuperbMan
    Dtrek,

There is great riding by you--try to hook up with the yahoo group- norulesmountainbikingclub.com-they're berkshire locals and announce rides all the time-a lot down in Lwennox, but a lot in Pittsfield state forest (near you) and occasionally in Kenneth Dubuque state forest. There are trails in williamstown too-hook up with the guys from the Spoke bike shop just down the road from your school-they'll point you in the right direction.
  • 09-04-2007
    dtrek4500
    Thanks, one of these days I will try to stop by that shop, but right now I don't have any of my cars here, so are any of these trail heads ridable to from my school, or will I have to hook up with someone and car pool with them in order to get there.
    Thanks
    Dave
  • 09-05-2007
    hado_pv
    This might be a place to start

https://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/mtGre...rey-Summer.gif

There are some bike permitted trails in the Greylock woods. Not sure how many or which.

I echo Superbman - get hold of the no rules group. They are active in the area and know the news.

Funny all the responses you have gotten are from the Pioneer Valley folk 30 miles east of you.

H
  • 09-05-2007
    dtrek4500
    I actually went by a couple trails on gray lock mountain while I was on a hike that the school put on but graylock is a little bit of a drive from the school so I might have to wait for a car to ride that. Worst comes to worst I might just end up bringing the mountain bike home and using my road bike and road biking before I can figure out what I want to do.
    Dave
  • 09-05-2007
    redwarrior
    Just hop on your bike and go look for trails up off route 8 route 2. I bet you find something. Ask around at school, somebody's got to know a few spots...
  • 09-06-2007
    SuperbMan
    There are absolutely trails worthy of riding with a few miles of school-the spoke bike shop is only a few miles (it's technically in north adams right on the Williamsown/ North Adams border) not a problem w/ out a car and they can definitely steer you towards some trails in greater williamstown. I've ridden the taconic Crest trail and a slew of it's tributary trails from Petersburg pass, up mt bberlin and all the way to round mountain in Stephen town. There are plenty of trails all over that region and the locals at the bike shop know 'em. That being said, if you're looking fr super-prime single track, you might need to look further a field (Pittsfield State Forest from the Jiminy Peak side and Potter Mt Rd are the best I know of near you--but, I'll bet there's single track in the great williamstown area I don't of that with a little truclence and a sense of adventure a young college student like yourself should be able to sniff out.

Don't send your Mtb bike home-the Berkshires has some of the best riding in the country-yes, the country-but it takes a little more know-how and self motivtion to tap into it. Again, google the norules mountain bike club-sign on with them, ride your bike to The Spoke and push for local knowledge (or find out what patron of that shop has local knowledge) and go from there. Don't give up-the riding is dynamite where you are.
  • 09-06-2007
    dtrek4500
    All right, thanks for that, I will keep searching, and maby tomorrow I will take a trip to that bike shop for some info. I also did some urban assault on campus yesterday, and it was kind of fun but not really my thing. Thanks.
    Dave
  • 09-07-2007
    neal_b
    Go down South Church St turn left after the cider barn (red farm type building across the street from Morrison Berkshire (big blue building) on the right) turn left on the dirt road that goes up past the Hoosic Tunnel.

There used to be few decent trails there on the left side of the trail (north side). They will take you to Windsor Lake (Fish Pond). On the back side of the campgrounds there is another trail that take you up to the MCLA Athletic Complex.

Or if you stay on the main trail (dirt road) it will take you up to the old boy scout camp and to West Shaft Rd. There use to be some trails on the other side of West Shaft Rd as well but they may have done some developments up there.

You could get an hour or two of riding up there and it's really the only thing that is close to you. You really can't get lost up there you eiher end up near the MCLA athletic Complex on West Shaft Rd or at Fish Pond which is at the the top of Bradley Street (the really steep hill) that comes out just south of the dorms.

Good luck

Try the Mountain Goat in Willamstown if you want to find the trails out that way.
  • 09-08-2007
    dang
    I don't live in the area but visit there several times a year and I can confirm what NEAL B said. up in that area up the verrry steep streets on east of Church st I found some stuff last year while fooling around. it would be east to southeast from the school and SE of RT2. was ok with tired legs but not as good as Pittsfield State or other places.

you can ride to trails at Greylock. you go up Notch Rd to top. at gate (closed for 2yrs for paving) the trailhead starts. I only rode this trail to summit to get to Pittsfield SF so didn't look beyond getting up and over.

there's probably a way to get to Savoy SF without riding the road too long but I don't know it. it's all woods to there but don't know if there are trails. hmmm. I'll have to look into this. you can take CHurch st to East st then Left onto E. Hoosic rd (killer climb) at one of the right turns there's a jeep trail on the left that goes up to more stuff. last time I looked though it looked quite eroded and even more difficult to climb. this would be a very advanced ride.