Riding in Gloucester - Dogtown?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Riding in Gloucester - Dogtown?

Hi all,

I'm going to be up in Gloucester early Saturday morning (driving buddies up for the 5k there), and it looks like Dogtown is the most convenient spot for a good ride. That said, I'm having a bit of trouble finding a trail map and also getting a feel for the difficulty of the trails there. I'd put myself as an intermediate rider..I've ridden at Lynn and had trouble on a lot of the uphill tech stuff. Enjoyed Harold Parker a bit more.

If anyone has any experience riding the Dogtown trails or some pointers please let me know! I'm new to the Boston area so trying to get a good feel for the riding that's around here.

Thanks!
    "My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with failure." - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Ravenswood has map. Maybe try Cape Ann Brewery after. Also call local bike shop & see if group ride Dogtown possible. Happy Ttails!

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
    Jeep Rubicon Christini AWD 26" FS
    KidzTandem
    S. Fatboy
    Bob Yak w/dog

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Dogtown? Rocky. So much good riding that whole stretch of 128. Beverly commons for one, Gordon College. Some of the TToR stuff. Try this. Magnolia bIke club for one. Are you a member of Nemba. North Shore member here. Our FB page has weekly ride everywhere. Informal meet ups as well. Check out the Nemba homepage " places to ride" start there.

mtbr member
    Does Bruce and toms still exist as a viable spot? I went there a few times many moons ago and always had a blast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bruce no longer lives there. So no access from one side. Its a TToR property. They were able to buy a parcel right next to it to add some trails and parking. Kind of puckery for my liking though.

mtbr member
    Puckery? Like because of pucker brush, the proximity to the new owners of Bruce's old property, or because of the terrain/obstacles??

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Puckery as in butt pucker. Not a hucking kind of rider, roll downs sure. Most of the trails are still there. Bruce did not own that much. The extreme stunt work gets removed though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm not a member of NEMBA, though I am in the FB group (haven't looked at it in weeks...oops). I'll check out the places you mentioned leeboh.

Ravenswood appears nice and simple to follow, though a bit small-scale from the looks of it. I'll keep it in mind, it's just a few minutes from where the 5k is taking place so certainly convenient.
    "My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with failure." - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Beverly Commons is pretty awesome. Not a lot of mileage at all but really great tech and flow. The harder parts of Beverly are on par with the harder parts of Harold Parker (the northeast portion of HP i'd consider the hardest). Decent map too. I have never been to Dogtown but i have looked into a bunch and I always was left with the impression that it wouldn't be great place to go and explore. I usually would end up going to HP instead.

Beverly is tight packed but i've never minded hitting a section both ways or even repeating. So quality.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Most of these areas are well mapped on openstreetmap. Dogtown is more mellow than other Cape Ann spots but even with a map can be hard to pick the best route. It does have some interesting history, topography, and scenery - Babson's inscribed boulders, and if you make it to the Rockport quarries some really nice views.

If the 5K is at Stage Fort Park, you can easily ride into Ravenswood from there (Old Salem Rd.). Fernwood Loop adds some mileage and it's not much road to continue into the Mt. Ann area.

B&Ts also known as Tompson St. Reservation is a Greenbelt property. It is maybe even more challenging than Lynn. There is excellent trailhead parking just north of 128 on Concord St. and their map is accurate (ecga.org). The view from Eagle Rock is special. Some of the stunts are still there.

I'd say just get on your bike and explore. You won't get hopelessly lost as you are never to far from civilization.

Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ramshackle View Post
    Most of these areas are well mapped on openstreetmap. Dogtown is more mellow than other Cape Ann spots but even with a map can be hard to pick the best route. It does have some interesting history, topography, and scenery - Babson's inscribed boulders, and if you make it to the Rockport quarries some really nice views.

If the 5K is at Stage Fort Park, you can easily ride into Ravenswood from there (Old Salem Rd.). Fernwood Loop adds some mileage and it's not much road to continue into the Mt. Ann area.

B&Ts also known as Tompson St. Reservation is a Greenbelt property. It is maybe even more challenging than Lynn. There is excellent trailhead parking just north of 128 on Concord St. and their map is accurate (ecga.org). The view from Eagle Rock is special. Some of the stunts are still there.

I'd say just get on your bike and explore. You won't get hopelessly lost as you are never to far from civilization.

B&T's is awesome. The eagle-rock roller is one of the best lines in the state, if not New England.

Live Free & Ride
    Having just ridden at Willowdale for the 1st time this past Sunday, I am now setting my Mass. journeys on the Gloucester area. Tompson St Reserv. seems to be the next logical stop on my North Shore ride tour. Willowdale was nice and had some fast flow combined with some tight tech near Chevette. The place was just infested with moths for some reason and a couple on horses, but still sweet. Just need more tech and hills for my flavor, so still searching the Shore!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel - sold
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Willowdale is definitely the most flowy around. Harold Parker is the best. Worthy of days. I would totally move to the Greenbelt area and be content with the local trails.

mtbr member
    I do a pretty regular 5pm Tuesday Night ride at Thomson if you ever want a tour.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I recently ran some trails in the woods between 127 and127a (behind long beach). I discovered some wicked singletrack that someone has put some serious trail work into. I've not been back to ride it yet, but will some time. I reckon it's the toughest technical trail I've seen anywhere in Eastern Mass.

Anyone know more about it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Having just ridden at Willowdale for the 1st time this past Sunday, I am now setting my Mass. journeys on the Gloucester area. Tompson St Reserv. seems to be the next logical stop on my North Shore ride tour. Willowdale was nice and had some fast flow combined with some tight tech near Chevette. The place was just infested with moths for some reason and a couple on horses, but still sweet. Just need more tech and hills for my flavor, so still searching the Shore!
    Check out Beverly Farms and Gordon College. Also Maganolia bike up there has good knowledge. NS Nemba FB page places to ride, or the Nemba home page.

Team
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffpw View Post
    I recently ran some trails in the woods between 127 and127a (behind long beach). I discovered some wicked singletrack that someone has put some serious trail work into. I've not been back to ride it yet, but will some time. I reckon it's the toughest technical trail I've seen anywhere in Eastern Mass.

Where is the trailhead?

banned
    Nov 2017
    There prolly isnít one haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffpw View Post

Yup, I know a little about those trails. Nothing is really mapped out. Feel free to PM me for details.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813