Rear Shock Died- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rear Shock Died

mtbr member

Rear Shock Died

I have a 99 stumpjumper FSR XC with the original fox "air vanilla" rear shock on it. The dimensions are 6.5" Eye to eye x 1.5" Stroke AKA 165x38mm.

It now makes that squishy sound and it appears that the nitrogen filled dampener has blown. The thing is 13 years old so I'm not complaining.

Does anyone have a used shock sitting around that you'd be willing to get rid of? I really don't want to spend $300-400 on a new shock for a 13 year old bike, especially since I'm saving up for a new HT. That being said, I've taken excellent care of the stumpy and I'd hate to take it off the trail just because of the shock. So I'm crossing my fingers hoping somebody has a good condition functioning shock they might be willing to part with. I'm in the Waltham/Framingham/marlboro area.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You can get a Rock Shox Monarch for around $250. I got one through PUSH (they do several upgrades and custom tune it) and I couldn't be happier. The thing is super smooth. Way better than the Manitou Swinger 3-way that it replaced. I think its well worth the extra $50 to get it through them.

Edit: Yikes, just took a look at their pricing. I got mine last year for $319. Maybe because they are using the 2012 model. Still worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Pm sent.

Members who have read this thread: 0