Rack recommendation for NE- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rack recommendation for NE

What's a good 4 season bike rack for this area that won't rust up and look like hell if it's on the car all year long? Looking for a hitch mount. Thanks.

rack admirer
    After years of a cheap allen strap rack, I invested in 1UPUSA. All aluminum, made in the USA. Not cheap, $300 for one bike, $500 for 2 bikes. Clicks in precise and rock solid. Impresses gear types. Folds up tight to the bumper. Requires the anti-theft wrench to get it off the hitch box. Not really worried about theft, but watch out, now I always take if off to avoid possible parking lot trauma.
    MCM # 57

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a 1up USA as well. Worth it. You will never need to purchase another rack. It takes seconds to unload or load a bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Subscribed. Speaking from direct experience, it isn't a Thule.

mtbr member
    I own the Kuat but took it off as soon as salt was going down. I don't know of other all aluminum hitch mounts other than 1Up. That is what immediately came to my mind.

mtbr member
    Had Thule trunk mount, Thule hanging hitch rack, Kuat NV Core. Before finally dropping the cash on the 1up. Only regret was not making that decision first. Have had it going on 3 years without issue. It's worth it's price.

mtbr member
    1up all day long. Doesn't rust like the Thule POS I have. The heavy duty double is roughly the same price as a Thule. If you get the 1up double, heavy duty you can add on up to 2 more singles to carry 4 bikes. No brainer if you ask me.

mtbr member
    So I guess you guys like the 1Up? Great info, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    1UP ftw. The bolts, and the retention system ball, DO rust if you leave it on in the winter, but it stays functional.

@njcshreds
    I've had awesome luck with my Kuat Sherpa. I've had it for 8 or so years. I did have to have them send me a new piece about 6 years ago (the part that goes into my receiver), but I've had zero problems with it. Their customer service was fantastic. It was good to know they made their life time warranty very easy to use.

I take it off in the winter time, but generally leave it on all spring and summer unless I know it's going to rain for like three or more days in a row.

The only issue I've had is my downhill bike not quite fitting. I need to use an additional ratchet strap to keep my Stab in the rack. The bike WILL fall out if I don't - I found out in a parking lot once. Otherwise, I've used it for my BMX, road bike, my dad's hybrid, all with no issues.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Agree with all who said 1up. Had one for a number of years and nothing comes close.
    However, do not leave anything in your receiver for over a month or so which you don't mind staying permanently. A hitch, rack or whatever will rust in place and you will need torches and sledgehammers etc to get it off. Also, leaving anything on during winter salt season will wreck any rack over time.