Question for Evil riders- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

Question for Evil riders

Im interested in getting an evil the calling or insurgent for trail riding in Ma but cant tell which would be better for riding east coast tech ie nam and ntf. Based on geo alone a med calling looks like it would work for me (im 5'6") but the insurgent might be too big. Any locals ride either of those bikes? Also, im curious what tires and width youve run.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Ask JRA Cycles

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
    Jeep Rubicon Christini AWD 26" FS
    KidzTandem
    S. Fatboy
    Bob Yak w/dog

dmo
    mtbr member
    Do they sell Evil?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have a Following with a 140 mm fork, and it handles Nam just fine. Sounds like your not looking for a 29r though. The 140/130 travel on the Calling should be plenty for trail riding around here, especially if you like a poppier/snappier ride. You probably would only need the extra travel of the Insurgent if you plan on doing a lot of park riding or get into enduro racing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Also, the Calling has a water bottle mount inside the frame but the Insurgent does not, if that is important to you.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a Following and I agree with what quasi_shawn wrote. Evil's delta suspension performs really well and makes the most out of the available travel. I think a Calling would be best for NE trail riding.

dmo
    mtbr member
    So i ended up ordering a Insurgent. I got a frame on closeout which made a significant difference in price vs a calling saving me about 1k. Also, it looked like the geo on the insurgent suited my proportions better. I asked Evil what they thought and they said the calling is better for pedally stuff ie trail riding. Im guessing the Insurgent can be used for trail riding too but maybe with a bit more work to pedal. I could also hit up a bike park if i ever do that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Congrats on your new rig! The Insurgent is definitely workable as a trail bike; it still really pedals well as it shares the same basic suspension. It's just a little more on the 'blunt instrument' side of the trail bike personality spectrum, while the Calling is a little more on the 'precision instrument' side. I ride Nam all the time; maybe I'll see you out there sometime. My following is the 'Toxic Green' color, so I'm hard to miss; I'm pretty sure it can be seen from space.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Haha, thanks. The slime yellow looks pretty bright too. I may change the decal color to something else. I actually prefer 'blunt instrument' riding so thats good to hear. I havent been to Nam in a while. Too much dam rain. I get there some friday afternoons. If i see you ill give a shout

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Evil Bikes will be at NEMBAFest with demos this year if you can get up there

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    So i ended up ordering a Insurgent. I got a frame on closeout which made a significant difference in price vs a calling saving me about 1k. Also, it looked like the geo on the insurgent suited my proportions better. I asked Evil what they thought and they said the calling is better for pedally stuff ie trail riding. Im guessing the Insurgent can be used for trail riding too but maybe with a bit more work to pedal. I could also hit up a bike park if i ever do that.

Just ordered an insurgent after demoing one at NEMBAFEST. I had no intention of getting a new bike until I got on the evil, needless to say I was impressed. Btw what size did you get? I'm the exact same height as you (5'6" ) and ordered a small but was curious about the medium.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowYouRider View Post
    Just ordered an insurgent after demoing one at NEMBAFEST. I had no intention of getting a new bike until I got on the evil, needless to say I was impressed. Btw what size did you get? I'm the exact same height as you (5'6" ) and ordered a small but was curious about the medium.
    I got a small based on evils sizing. I coulve gone with a medium but think id be too streched out.