PV NEMBA Chili Ride in Wendell Sat, Nov. 19th!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Good job! PV NEMBA Chili Ride in Wendell Sat, Nov. 19th!!

Mountain biking season is hitting its peak and the Chili Ride #3 is scheduled for Saturday, November 19th! The Chili Ride is a great way to round out the fall: a 2-3 hour mountain bike ride on classic Wendell singletrack at an intermediate pace, followed by a chili-themed potluck at Bill's house across the street from park headquarters. This is the latest in the year we have had it so far so be sure to layer up, bring snacks and plenty of hydration! We should not be needing lights for this ride but feel free to bring one, just to be on the safe side.

The ride starts at 12:30-1pm from the Wendell Ranger Station (directions below) and will go for about 2-3 hours. Groups will start leaving at 12:30pm with the last group leaving at 1. The party after the ride will be at Bill Gabriel's house just before the ranger station on the right; if you're bringing food you can drop it off at his house before the ride between noon and 12:30pm. You can leave your car in his driveway and bike over to the ranger Station (parking will be limited at the ranger station).

Please let me know if you plan on coming and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Stef
    [email protected]

Directions to the Wendell Ranger Station:
    From the east or west: Take Rte. 2 to Rte. 63 south through Miller Falls, Wendell Rd. over R.R. bridge, take Montague Rd. and follow signs.
    From the north or south: Take Rte 47 North to Route 63 North. Travel approximately 6 miles and follow lead in signs approximately 2 miles to the Park Headquarters. (From RT63: turn right on Highland St (before center of Millers Falls) to intersection with S Prospect St, turn right onto S Prospect St and follow that all the way up -turns into Wendell Rd, bear right)

Directions to Bill Gabriel's house (from Millers Falls):
    Follow the signs to Wendell State Forest. Bill's house is on the right just before the Ranger Station, brown house with a red barn sitting back from the road (334 Wendell Road).

mtbr member
    Went up to Wendell this morning for the first time since the storm. Still quite a bit of snow in a lot of places, but not much tree damage in the areas I walked.

Signs of gremlin activity in a few places, so we might have some new/different stuff to include in the loops.

I'll probably wait until next week to get the blower out, too many oak leaves still hanging and too much snow to bother burning the gas this week.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    So we have an idea of the headcount - please RSVP to the facebook event... Log In | Facebook

If anyone would be willing to lead/sweep, get in touch with Stef soon.

H.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Leaf-blower was out this morning. Nipmuck, Hannah and 2/3 of Mormon Hollow cleaned till I ran out of fuel. Tomorrow I finish Mormon Hollow, then get Sophie's Run, 13$, the upper Lookout Trail, Moose Trax and the upper M&M. If I have time I'll swing over to Toby's Tour so everything we might use in the park will have been blown within the past week.

Won't get to the Frost or anything else on that side of the road.
    NEMBA Past President...

think
    Jul 2008
    Is the route selection being done by the same dudes who did the NEMBA adventure ride down there?

mtbr member
    Getting close. Ribbons of bare ground throughout the park, and the aromas of cayenne and cumin in the kitchen. Yeah!

@bad_news. Each ride leader will make their own route selection. Probably none will exactly follow any prior MBAS route. Lots of options in Wendell, and many of the trails are fabulous in both directions. If you don't trust my route selection, don't follow the tall guy on the white Jet 9
    Last edited by hado_pv; 11-18-2011 at 05:30 AM.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv View Post
    Leaf-blower was out this morning. Nipmuck, Hannah and 2/3 of Mormon Hollow cleaned till I ran out of fuel. Tomorrow I finish Mormon Hollow, then get Sophie's Run, 13$, the upper Lookout Trail, Moose Trax and the upper M&M. If I have time I'll swing over to Toby's Tour so everything we might use in the park will have been blown within the past week.

Won't get to the Frost or anything else on that side of the road.
    Sophie's run the extension of Toby's tour???? Did you find the newer extension on that trail and did you clear it off (it runs all the way to the wickett pond trail)?

Are we doing different groups??? What are you thinking for a route? Did the frost see a lot of damage from the storm??

Liam

mtbr member
    My 14 year old son loves Wendell but may not be up for a 3 hour intermediate pace ride. Will there be shorter/slower options?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    Is the route selection being done by the same dudes who did the NEMBA adventure ride down there?
    I suspect there will be enough people there who know their way around that many loops, at varying speed and distance, will be made. H, correct me if I'm wrong.

See ya'll there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    Sophie's run the extension of Toby's tour???? Did you find the newer extension on that trail and did you clear it off (it runs all the way to the wickett pond trail)?

Are we doing different groups??? What are you thinking for a route? Did the frost see a lot of damage from the storm??

Liam
    I wouldn't expect much damage on the Frost, but haven't been up there. Higher yielded dryer snow, and more leaves had already fallen.

Sophie's Run is the trail from the bottom of Davis Rd to $13.

I'm planning on taking my group as follows:

Lookout - Moose Trax - Hannah -Sophie's - The Land Trust Ledges part of $13 - M&M - Jerusalem Rd - Upper Lookout - M&M - Mormon Hollow - Baker Rd - Bob is Fat - Maple Leaf - Nipmuck - Saxon Bridge Rd - Wicket Pond - Escape - Toby's including the extension - Two Brothers - CCC and quit.

Plenty of opportunity to bail if we get bogged down, and avoids the nastiest long climbs (well maybe up Mormon and Saxon Bridge would qualify as nasty climbs...)
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by campykid View Post
    My 14 year old son loves Wendell but may not be up for a 3 hour intermediate pace ride. Will there be shorter/slower options?
    Yup - probably the shortest will be around 90 minutes
    NEMBA Past President...

think
    Jul 2008
    I wans't worried about if the route would be the same or not, or if there would be too many climbs or something. I wast just curious if this was the same group of dudes as the adventure ride, that's all. NEMBA is a big organization.

Sounds like a fun event.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news View Post
    I wans't worried about if the route would be the same or not, or if there would be too many climbs or something. I wast just curious if this was the same group of dudes as the adventure ride, that's all. NEMBA is a big organization.

Sounds like a fun event.
    Those active in the PV is a pretty small group - a couple dozen max. I picked the loop for the 2011 MBAS and will be leading a ride tomorrow. Liam was primarily responsible for laying out the 09 and 10 loops, he'll be leading as well.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My inclination is allow for bail out options without actually planning a shorter loop. The Fire roads allow for multiple points to leave the ride when you've felt you had enough (and most likely you'll find someone who knows the way willing to head back with you)-and we'll be sure to steer everyone in the right direction (just don't drink all the beer and eat all the chili before we get back!

This is about as friendly a social ride as there is, there will be regrouping and recovery (needed or not) after each trail. I want folks to ride at a speed that enables them to enjoy the trails--but, wendell is still wendell. It got hills in both directions, and Harold and I haven't figured yet how to remove at the rocks. I'm planning on mixing in a few of the harder trails on the intermediate ride.

I think the main difference between the expert group(s) and intermediate group (s) will not be degree of difficulty but distance traveled and speed of travel.

Does that sound about right, Stef and Harold?

H-did you ever get a look at the Status of the Frost??? Consider the starting point it seems a shame not to use it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post

Does that sound about right, Stef and Harold?

H-did you ever get a look at the Status of the Frost??? Consider the starting point it seems a shame not to use it!
    I'm heading up relatively early tomorrow with the leaf blower to get Toby's Tour and Moose Trax which I didn't get earlier in the week. I may take a quick ride up the frost to verify its condition. Not with the leaf-blower though... That's a mighty long walk to do that loop too.

H
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Another PVNEMBA good time ride!

Thanks, Your friends from the Berks

Steam Donkey
    Thanks Stef, Bill and Harold! and whoever else may have helped. Great time!
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

mtbr member
    yes, thanks to all. the trails, the people, the chili, everything was great! we had the best time. can't wait to the next time! tnx again

mtbr member
    Thanks to all who came and rode, ate, drank... Without you all the work we did would be in vain.

Great having you all enjoy our bounty. Wendell rules!
    NEMBA Past President...